What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 03/02/2022 at 08:24, accies1874 said:

Tilda Swinton is amazing in everything, isn't she?

I saw the trailer for the The Souvenir part 2 which she is in and it seems like she is amazing at playing a smug, upper class cow in it. 

It's as if the trailer was specifically designed to piss me off. That HSBC w****r Richard Ayoade in particular makes my blood boil. 

Edited by Detournement

Heat (1995)

Yeah it's long but it's so well directed and acted that it flies in.

The long awaited on screen meeting of De Niro and Pacino is worth the wait and I didn't even mind too much that Moby covered a Joy Division song.

De Niro's stilts house is the same used by Titus Welliver in Bosch.

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Heat (1995)

The long awaited on screen meeting of De Niro and Pacino is worth the wait and I didn't even mind too much that Moby covered a Joy Division song.

The moral of Heat is you should always get revenge on the Waingros of your life no matter what the consequences are. 

The worst Heat take is when people as say that Macaulay and Vincent are similar guys but one is a cop and one is a robber. I've seen that a lot and I wonder if I'm watching the same film.

There is a sequel/prequel book coming out. Hopefully it will be good. 

Edited by Detournement

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The moral of Heat is you should always get revenge on the Waingros of your life no matter what the consequences are. 

The worst Heat take is when people as say that Macaulay and Vincent are similar guys but one is a cop and one is a robber. I've seen that a lot and I wonder if I'm watching the same film.

There is a sequel/prequel book coming out. Hopefully it will be good. 

Theres a film from the 70s called Straight Time where Dustin Hoffman, a repeat offender, has the chance to drive off into the sunset with his GF yet goes out of his way to kill the guy who fucked up the robbery.

The robbery takes place in a jewellery store where all the glass cabinets are smashed with hammers, sound familiar? It's a pretty influential movie.

I'd like to see LA Takedown one day just for comparison to Heat.

I saw the trailer for the The Souvenir part 2 which she is in and it seems like she is amazing at playing a smug, upper class cow in it. 
It's as if the trailer was specifically designed to piss me off. That HSBC w****r Richard Ayoade in particular makes my blood boil. 
I checked her Wiki yesterday and it seems she comes from aristocracy so...

I've not seen the Souvenir films yet but the first is on iPlayer and the second is just out so I might give them a go.
She is.
We Need to Talk About Kevin is genuinely disturbing.
Might be my favourite of the 2010s.

15 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Heat (1995)

Tom Sizemore starred in the reboot of Hawaii Five O.  In one episode he gets to do a role reversal of one of the scenes in this film (and I am sure you can guess which one).  It was amusing to watch and a great homage to this film.

8 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Tom Sizemore starred in the reboot of Hawaii Five O.  In one episode he gets to do a role reversal of one of the scenes in this film (and I am sure you can guess which one).  It was amusing to watch and a great homage to this film.

I just assumed Tom Sizemore was dead by now, TBH. The last video I remember him being in was grim, to say the least.

Holy crap, just noticed this  :blink:

Think Mann is doing a prequel to Heat. Usually cause for concern with things like this but the fact Mann is at the helm I don't doubt it will be good. He's a director that rarely misses, I even liked Blackhat and Miami Vice. The Keep is an interesting unknown film of his, worth a watch if you can find a decent copy.

26. My Week with Marilyn (2011)* - BBC Two

Fucking bullshit. I should've known what I was letting myself in for with Redmayne, Branagh and Dench all kicking about and it's a agonisingly British film in that budget range. Twee at first then theatrical later on but calculated all the way through. 

27. Date Night (2010)* - 5STAR

I really was not into this for quite a while. The filmmaking was really, really bland with every line of dialogue and reaction to said dialogue being captured in boring singles and samey pans whenever the characters were walking up to a building (which happens a lot and the monotony of the cinematography made that much more obvious). The initially unengaging performances didn't help, especially Steve Carrell's, which may well have been to match the tone of the opening stages but contributed to a boring experience. But then... I forgot about all of that. 

Once the plot gets going the performances do too, and it turns into an enjoyable ride helping me forget about the shit parts and even forgetting about the plot. The straight couple juxtaposed against mad events and characters has been done many, many times before but it's made better by a line at the end that sort of takes that concept and turns it into a nice couple moment. Maybe tone it down on the cameos though, eh? Bit too many which always seems like the creators just giving their mates a call for a laugh. 

Strange that it's such a departure from the first in the trilogy, The Game, but I guess Fincher was too busy with The Social Network. Game Night was a good way to round the three-parter off. 

28. Love Story (1970)* - Sky Cinema

Pretty sure this is great. The opening monologue tells you exactly what's gonna happen yet the film still manages to suck you in and make you feel the pain. Cinema imo. Really great music too. 

Sadly it seems to be considered "influential" and "popular" so 0/10. 

The House of Gucci. Some stellar performances by the cast, especially Jared Leto, which you will either love or hate. Pretty entertaining but kinda seemed to have some pacing issues which was odd considering it's over 2 and a half hours.

Nightmare Alley. An absorbing Del Toro flick, got really sucked in with this. Really stuck the ending with this one.

The House of Gucci. Some stellar performances by the cast, especially Jared Leto, which you will either love or hate. Pretty entertaining but kinda seemed to have some pacing issues which was odd considering it's over 2 and a half hours.
Nightmare Alley. An absorbing Del Toro flick, got really sucked in with this. Really stuck the ending with this one.
Wasn't expecting much from Gucci but it was actually tremendous.

On 04/02/2022 at 17:48, Arch Stanton said:

Theres a film from the 70s called Straight Time where Dustin Hoffman, a repeat offender, has the chance to drive off into the sunset with his GF yet goes out of his way to kill the guy who fucked up the robbery.

The robbery takes place in a jewellery store where all the glass cabinets are smashed with hammers, sound familiar? It's a pretty influential movie.

I'd like to see LA Takedown one day just for comparison to Heat.

Straight time is fantastic. It really shows that career criminals are disorganised half wits more than anything else.

It's always annoyed me that Hoffman blames Busey for fucking up the robbery when it was Hoffman's character that didn't stick to the schedule.

3 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

Straight time is fantastic. It really shows that career criminals are disorganised half wits more than anything else.

It's always annoyed me that Hoffman blames Busey for fucking up the robbery when it was Hoffman's character that didn't stick to the schedule.

Straight time is a great movie, and Hoffmans performance is top notch

On 06/02/2022 at 02:33, UpInTheAyr said:

Think Mann is doing a prequel to Heat. Usually cause for concern with things like this but the fact Mann is at the helm I don't doubt it will be good. He's a director that rarely misses, I even liked Blackhat and Miami Vice. The Keep is an interesting unknown film of his, worth a watch if you can find a decent copy.

Thief is a brilliant movie that Mann directed. James Caan stars in it. Might of been Manns first movie even

Edited by BigDoddyKane

spider man: no way home

I'm not that into marvel stuff and much of it passed me by. 

This is fantastic though. I'm an absolute sucker for redemption arcs and this is full of them. Getting to see Tobey McGuire as Peter/Spidey again was an absolute treat and serves as a kind of elder statesman on this film. Garfield is wonderful too and his redemption story had me in tears. In fact I cried pretty hard at about four different bits of this movie. 

The plot is actually pretty straightforward, which was a relief considering it's got Dr Strange in it and the idea of parallel worlds tends to have me switching off. It's all wonderful though and the development of Holland's Spiderman is utterly compelling.

I'll watch this again, no doubt. Utterly magnificent.

The Kingsman

I didn't mind the 1st 2 Kingsman films, they're silly and never take themselves too seriously. This one isn't great. Terrible bad guy, bizarre and abrupt changes in tone, the use of the historical characters is wonky and that MCU end credits scene is just wtf.

4/10, extra point for Ralph Fiennes.