What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

16 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I remember hearing an Armando Ianucci interview about Death of Stalin, where he was talking about all the people who criticised him for just letting the actors use their own accents.

He made the very simple point that the majority of the characters were from various different parts of the Soviet Union, so would have had different accents speaking Russian anyway

yes, Iannucci should had insisted that the actors, whose characters were all speaking Russian, deliver their lines in English in stereotypical Russian accents. That would have made it far more realistic for some.......

4 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

yes, Iannucci should had insisted that the actors, whose characters were all speaking Russian, deliver their lines in English in stereotypical Russian accents. That would have made it far more realistic for some.......

I'm pretty sure the interview was one of the RHLSTP shows. He and Herring eventually agreed that the only way to make an historically accurate film was to have the characters played by the original people they were based upon.

Up for recording all the movies I see this year with an understanding that a mid-January failure (ie next week) is likely.

001 -- The Lost Leonardo. A fascinating documentary about the discovery of Salvator Mundi in a dingy New Orleans auction house, bought for $1k and under restoration was suspected to be painted by da VInci. Not only is it interesting from the point of view of the mystery, it also shone a light on the corruption of the art world, the use of tax evading Swiss freeports, and all the schemes that are concocted in the exchange of hundreds of millions of dollars. 8/10

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

and that is the best way to go - I struggle to understand why some films insist on characters who are speaking to each other in a local language, delivering their (English) dialogue in an archetypal stereotypical accent commonly associated with that country. 

Valkyrie was clever in that Cruise kicked off speaking German, the camera panned in close to his mouth and then panned back, with him still talking but now in English. And then everyone spoke English from then onwards in their own accents, regardless of what that accent was (if I remember correctly). Death of Stalin did something similar. 

At the same time you have something like Black Widow where they are all speaking Russian to each other at various points in English delivered with the stereotypical accent of a Russian speaking English.

a confusing process to wrap heads around, my own included, but grinds my gears nonetheless! 

In Star Trek The Next Generation, Patrick Stewart is supposed to be a Frenchman.  After a couple of attempts they decided to abandon the idea and he spoke in his normal accent afterwards.

This was discussed when he appeared on Parkinson, who as a fellow Yorkshire man suggested that it would have been better if Patrick had done Jean Luc Picard in a thick Yorkshire accent.

Patrick then attempted to do so.

"Space.  Final frontier.  These are voyages of Enterprise .." but he couldn't get far before he burst out laughing.

Cinema and TV is all about asking you to accept certain things.  Case in point - Star Trek is not actually filmed in outer space or other planets!

Once you accept that point, why does an accent or even language have to be authentic?

9 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

In Star Trek The Next Generation, Patrick Stewart is supposed to be a Frenchman.  After a couple of attempts they decided to abandon the idea and he spoke in his normal accent afterwards.

This was discussed when he appeared on Parkinson, who as a fellow Yorkshire man suggested that it would have been better if Patrick had done Jean Luc Picard in a thick Yorkshire accent.

"Space.  Final frontier.  These are voyages of Enterprise .." but he couldn't get far before he burst out laughing.

Cinema and TV is all about asking you to accept certain things.  Case in point - Star Trek is not actually filmed in outer space or other planets!

Once you accept that point, why does an accent or even language have to be authentic?

thats not the point though - Picard speaks to the bridge and the crew in English and many French people speak perfect English without a hint of an accent. 

8 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

thats not the point though - Picard speaks to the bridge and the crew in English and many French people speak perfect English without a hint of an accent. 

Yeah.  .. and I have met some real Klingons who say Worf sounds like a Terran imposter.

Ghostbusters Afterlife 8/10

Loved it. The nostalgia had me the whole way through. Pretty much just a remake of the original film though. As much as i enjoyed it, they need to knock it on the head now

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

‘allo ‘allo in space would have been pish IMO.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Yeah.  .. and I have met some real Klingons who say Worf sounds like a Terran imposter.

you're not understanding my point but no worries as I probably haven't explained it very well.

and those who consider Worf to be a Terran - maybe he is. Shine a light in his eye. 

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

you're not understanding my point but no worries as I probably haven't explained it very well.

and those who consider Worf to be a Terran - maybe he is. Shine a light in his eye. 

When I watch a film, I fully accept I have to suspend belief to some extent.  What is the possibility that beings in a galaxy far far away speak in a language that I understand?  Probably none.  Aftèr all there are lots of people in  Scotland I don't understand even slightly.

My point is that most films require a suspension of belief, so why does a correct accent ever matter in a film.

Edited by Fullerene

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

When I watch a film, I fully accept I have to suspend belief to some extent.  What is the possibility that beings in a galaxy far far away speak in a language that I understand?  Probably none.  Aftèr all there are lots of people in  Scotland I don't understand even slightly.

My point is that most films require a suspension of belief, so why does a correct accent ever matter in a film.

that is my point - it doesn't need to be a correct accent!! What it doesn't need to be is French people portrayed as speaking French (even though it is in English) speaking like someone from 'allo 'allo. There are lots of articles about this - its is not about suspension of disbelief it is the almost constant use of a trope that doesn't make any sense that is my bug-bear. 

https://patenttranslator.wordpress.com/2015/07/20/the-incredible-inauthenticity-of-fake-foreign-accents-in-american-movies/ - Why is it that in American movies set in foreign, far-away and exotic countries (such as communist Czechoslovakia or Nazi Germany), actors whose first language is English are forced to adopt a fake foreign accent?

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

that is my point - it doesn't need to be a correct accent!! What it doesn't need to be is French people portrayed as speaking French (even though it is in English) speaking like someone from 'allo 'allo. There are lots of articles about this - its is not about suspension of disbelief it is the almost constant use of a trope that doesn't make any sense that is my bug-bear. 

All this talk about fake accents.  I came across this clip.

Parasite - (2019 Academy Award Winner - Best Picture) - South Korean dark comedy (subtitles) directed by Bong-Joon Ho.
Heart warming, cynical, amusing, shocking. Well worth a watch, thoroughly enjoyed it. One of those films when the credits start rolling you think, ‘wtf did we just watch there’!?[emoji15]

6. Evil Stepmom (2021)* - Channel 5

Channel 5's TV movies are amazing. They're all 85 minutes, have the most on the nose titles, are lit like low-budget adverts and have some sort of familial "mystery". I'm certain they're a scam. In Evil Stepmom, a dad (played by the only person who looks like he knows he's in a load of nonsense) coaches his two daughters' soccer team "Toffees", who play in blue - I can only assume the link to Everton is coincidental - before the EVIL STEPMOM arrives on the scene with her daughter. Will the EVIL STEPMOM turn out to be an adequate replacement for their dead mum, or will she be EVIL? Watch and find out!

7. A Swedish Love Story (1970)* - MUBI

This is wonderful. I was quite taken by the couple of other Roy Andersson films I'd seen due to their weird, detached style that makes you feel like you're spying on folk at vulnerable moments, and I wasn't sure if the one-take, still-camera, sketch show nature of them was something that he'd done in all of his work until I saw A Swedish Love Story (the other two were part of his Living trilogy so the aesthetic could be limited to that). Despite this being much more conventional aesthetically, it still gives that respect to everyday lives and stories and has faith in them to justify a feature. The atmosphere is really enticing which makes it all the sadder that you watch a teenage romance starting out with the backdrop of so many bitter/dissatisfied relationships that probably started out similarly to the central romance. I was conflicted between just enjoying seeing people like each other before the corruption of adulthood, and thinking that it's just gonna end up like the other relationships we see. I think it's more an ode to youth than a depressing tale that it's all gonna go to shit, but I suppose the two go hand in hand. 

8. Career Girls (1997) - Film4

Another growing up film. I really liked how it compared the past versions of the characters with their "present" selves and how those previous insecurities still permeate despite trying to learn to hide them in adulthood. The past versions of Annie and Hannah are much more exaggerated and I wonder if that was done to make contrast more distinct - that didn't really work for me though. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it as a character study about revisiting the past literally and metaphorically. 

16 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Ghostbusters Afterlife 8/10

Loved it. The nostalgia had me the whole way through. Pretty much just a remake of the original film though. As much as i enjoyed it, they need to knock it on the head now

Ha. Just watched it now.

Came on to post that it was absolute nonsense.

I fucking loved it.

In the heat of the night 

I marked the sad passing of Sidney Poitier by digging out my DVD of this classic.

Poitier plays a detective helping a bunch of racist redneck cops solve a murder. 

Excellent performances all round. 

10/10

Stripes

80s screwball comedy about a pair of slackers who join the army and become unlikely heroes.

Decent cast including Bill Murray, John Candy and Warren Oates.

Plenty of slapstick humour and gratuitous tits. This is from the same fine tradition of American comedies as the likes of Porky's or Police Academy.

A perfect film for those times when you just want a laugh and can't be arsed with anything too highbrow.

8/10

Edited by Paul Kersey

002 -- The 355. Jessica Chastain, Diane Kruger, Penelope Cruz, and Lupita Nyong'o are the reluctant intelligence agents, forced to team up to chase a McGuffin around the globe that, if in the wrong hands, could start WW3. Despite a pretty solid cast, the story is boring and predictable and takes itself way too seriously. The trailer made this out to be a bit of light-hearted fun and I feel I have a decent complaint to take to the Trailer Ombudsman. No one onscreen seems to be enjoying themselves and it was even boring enough to sedate the group of unruly youths who'd occupied the back row of the cinema into a stupor. 3/10 

Just to chime in on the accent thing, Chernobyl also went the same route as The Death of Stalin and was all the better for it. The only way to improve it would to ensure the characters from the same regions of the Soviet Union as each other had similar English accents to each other too.