What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

16 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I much preferred the satire bits in The Matrix Ressurections to the action bits and the stepping forward from the line and heist of Trinity happening as it's explained seemed deliberately clichéd. Showing how cool and epic the original was compared to the new one also seemed very pointed. 

As I already said setting the main action in a soulless coffee shop was genius and I obviously enjoyed the everything is shiny but shite vibe. The Merovingian being an irrelevant annoyance shouting wildly about cultural decline very much made me feel #represented. 

Other satire bits I liked: the first bot swarm having an anime theme. Zion declining into a conservative strategy obviously mocking Wakanda in Black Panther. The arsehole assistant having Jonah Hill energy. Everything about Neil Patrick Harris as the therapist villain but particularly using all the 'empowering' language and the very contemporary detail of him keeping his job and facing no consequences despite majorly fucking up.

"Tiffany's" husband being called Chad and also being Chad Stahelski was funny. 

When lockdown started in March 2020 I resolved to watch as many films as possible. I watched 149 films in 2021 (11 rewatches and 138 first timers), well down from a total of 171 films in 2020. Must do better in 2022. On the upside I saw twice as many films in the cinema in 2021 - 14 compared to just 7 in 2020 - though only four of those made my top 100 films of the year (‘Summer of Soul’, ‘Dune’, ‘The Sparks Brothers’ and ‘In the Heights’). 

These are my favourite 100 films that I saw for the first time in 2021.

1-The Fire Within (Louis Malle, 1963)

2-Pale Flower (Masahiro Shinoda, 1964)

3-Nightmare Alley (Edmund Goulding, 1947) 

4-Le notti bianche (Luchino Visconti, 1957) 

5-The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (Lewis Milestone, 1946)

6-Blast of Silence (Allen Baron, 1961)

7-Il Divo (Paolo Sorrentino, 2008) 

8-The Man With the Golden Arm (Otto Preminger, 1955)

9-Marketa Lazarová (František Vláčil, 1967)

10-Summer of Soul (Ahmir ‘Questlove’ Thompson, 2021) 

11-La Ronde (Max Ophüls, 1950)

12-Casque d’Or (Jacques Becker, 1952)

13-The Gambler (Karel Reisz, 1974) 

14-Phoenix (Christian Petzold, 2014)

15-Umberto D. (Vittorio De Sica, 1952) 

16-Vagabond (Agnès Varda, 1985)

17-Le Samouraï (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1967) 

18-Saint Maud (Rose Glass, 2019)

19-The Gunfighter (Henry King, 1950)

20-Azor (Andreas Fontana, 2021) 

21-The Painted Bird (Václav Marhoul, 2019)

22-Les Cousins (Claude Chabrol, 1959) 

23-The Great Beauty (Paulo Sorrentino, 2013) 

24-Letter from an Unknown Woman (Max Ophüls, 1948)

25-Le conseguenze dell'amore (Paolo Sorrentino, 2004)

26-High Sierra (Raoul Walsh, 1941)

27-Where the Sidewalk Ends (Otto Preminger, 1950) 

28-Force of Evil (Abraham Polonsky, 1943)

29-Kiss of Death (Henry Hathaway, 1947) 

30-Too Late for Tears (Byron Haskin, 1949)

31-You Were Never Really Here (Lynne Ramsay, 2018) 

32-A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies (Martin Scorsese, 1995)

33-Key Largo (John Huston, 1948)

34-Caché (Michael Haneke, 2005)

35-Downtown 81 (Edo Bertoglio, 2000)

36-Odd Man Out (Carol Reed, 1947) 

37-Varda by Agnès (Agnès Varda, 2019) 

38-Any Number Can Win (Henri Vernieul, 1963) 

39-Patterns (Fielder Cook, 1956)

40-Phantom Lady (Robert Siodmak, 1944) 

41-The Old Dark House (James Whale, 1932)

42-tick, tick ... BOOM! (Lin-Manuel Miranda, 2021)

43-Kansas City Confidential (Phil Karlson, 1952)

44-Personal Shopper (Olivier Assayas, 2016) 

45-The Woman in the Window (Fritz Lang, 1944)

46-Mr. Klein (Joseph Losey, 1976) 

47-Cold War (Paweł Pawlikowsk, 2018) 

48-Trouble in Mind (Alan Rudolph, 1985) 

49-La Chienne (Jean Renoir, 1931)

50-Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021) 

51-Transit (Christian Petzold, 2018) 

52-Limbo (Ben Sharrock, 2020) 

53-The Lineup (Don Siegel, 1958) 

54-Night Moves (Arthur Penn, 1975) 

55-The Velvet Underground (Todd Haynes, 2021) 

56-Johnny Guitar (Nicholas Ray) 

57-Friedkin Uncut (Francesco Zippel) 

58-California Split (Robert Altman, 1974)

59-Sputnik (Egor Abramenko, 2020)

60-Hagazussa (Lukas Feigelfeld, 2018)

61-M (Joseph Losey, 1951) 

62-The Mitchells vs The Machines (Mike Rianda, 2021)

63-Vampyr (Carl Theodor Dreyer - 1932) 

64-Somewhere in the Night (Joseph L. Mankiewicz - 1946)

65-Hard Eight (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997) 

66-Ratcatcher (Lynne Ramsay, 1999)

67-Le Beau Serge (Claude Chabrol, 1958)

68-The Green Fog (Guy Maddin, 2017)

68-Pusher (Nicolas Winding Refn, 1996) 

70-The Hit (Stephen Frears, 1984) 

71-The Sisters Brothers (Jacques Audiard, 2018) 

72-Only God Forgives (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2013) 

73-The Green Knight (David Lowery, 2021) 

74-La Pointe Courte (Agnès Varda - 1955) 

75-The Tall Target (Anthony Mann, 1951)

76-The Sparks Brothers (Edgar Wright, 2021) 

77-The Witch of Kings Cross (Sonia Bible, 2021) 

78-Northern Soul (Elaine Constantine, 2014)

79-I Wake Up Screaming (Bruce Humberstone, 1941)

80-In the Heights (John M. Chu)

81-Ride in the Whirlwind (Monte Hellman, 1966)

82-Minding the Gap (Bing Liu, 2018)

83-You Only Live Once (Fritz Lang, 1937) 

84-Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017)

85-The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (John Cassavetes, 1976) 

86-Grace Jones: Bloodlight and Bomi (Sophie Fiennes, 2018) 

87-Ministry of Fear (Fritz Lang, 1944) 

88-Ride the Pink Horse (Robert Montgomery, 1947)

89-The Amazing Johnathan (Benjamin Berman, 2019)

90-The Ruling Class (Peter Medak, 1972) 

91-I Walk Alone (Byron Haskin, 1947)

92-History is Made at Night (Frank Borzage, 1937)

93-Joy Division (Grant Gee, 2007) 

94-Walk on the Wild Side (Edward Dmytryk, 1962)

95-Uncle Yanko (Agnes Varda, 1967)

96-Hangover Square (John Brahm, 1949)

97-Panic in the Streets (Elia Kazan, 1950)

98-Moneyball (Bennett Miller, 2011)

99-The Last Warning (Paul Leni, 1928)

100-Dragonwyck (Joseph L. Manckiewicz, 1946) 

19 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Just watched ‘No Time to Die’ for the first time. Never saw it in the cinema, avoided reviews. I’m a huge Bond fan too… utter pish. Shite theme tune, way, way, too long, and Blofeld’s Bionic Eye? FFS. Obviously, before watching, you park your sensible head in a car park space reserved for James Bond, but even then, there’s levels of OTT gadgetry or sheer stupidity that, in my opinion, can go a long way to me thinking if a Bond movie is a good one, or a crap one. Blofeld’s Bionic Eye, and magnets thrown down a lift shaft so you can just jump down? That crosses a line into Brosnan’s invisible car territory, IMHO. 

A shite Bond villain, a meandering tensionless plot, and those long, deliberate monologues between the main characters for no other reason than to show us ‘these guys can really act, no, really, this is serious acting shit going on here’. Malik’s mumbling, slurring, speaking oh-so-slowly character was bloody awful.

I really like Daniel Craig, and I thought ‘Spectre’ was a tremendous film, but this is tosh.

I was kind of the opposite in that I enjoyed this but can't for the life of me remember anything remarkable about Spectre even though it hasn't been that long since I saw it.

Agree about Malik though, he was dreadful.

8 hours ago, Frankie S said:

These are my favourite 100 films that I saw for the first time in 2021.

I can't be the only one positively verdant with jealousy at the idea of having time to watch a hundred new films in a year.

Edit: that implies he watched those on top of a load of films he'd seen before too. Christ.

Edited by BFTD

30 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I can't be the only one positively verdant with jealousy at the idea of having time to watch a hundred new films in a year.

Edit: that implies he watched those on top of a load of films he'd seen before too. Christ.

That's what happens when Sturgeon shuts your business for the first 7 months of the year. 

I saw the RLM review and now I wanna watch it tbh

Think theirs is a fair review. It’s a mess of a movie especially in the action and “real” sections but the meta stuff and themes are class if very unsubtle.

Laughed like a drain at them as opposed to groaning though.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

That's what happens when Sturgeon shuts your business for the first 7 months of the year. 

I got four months off during lockdown, but there was always something for me to be doing, unfortunately.

Think theirs is a fair review. It’s a mess of a movie especially in the action and “real” sections but the meta stuff and themes are class if very unsubtle.

This is what appeals to me. A lot of it just seems like Lana Wachowski was trolling which I can imagine being funny no matter if it's intentional.

I got four months off during lockdown, but there was always something for me to be doing, unfortunately.

Between being a student in 2019 and being in a pandemic in 2020, I must've watched close to a thousand across those two years (obvs not all for the first time). I kept a note of how many but I'm too scared to look.

Between being a student in 2019 and being in a pandemic in 2020, I must've watched close to a thousand across those two years (obvs not all for the first time). I kept a note of how many but I'm too scared to look.

Will say if you’ve watched the review you’ve seen most of the movie. Maybe not as much of the Morpheus stuff which is funny and I think Yahya gave a good turn for what he’s supposed to do. I think they could’ve delved more into how he would’ve felt about his situation but still a funny turn.

Just now, accies1874 said:

Double b*****d!

I suppose there's always retirement, assuming I live to 80 (or whatever the age will be by then).

No Time To Die - 4/10

All about the cinematography and locations, which were impressive. Storyline is pish. Freddy Mercury was a shit baddie too. What was the point of all the 4x4s and motorbikes and helicopters chasing them in Norway? I think I just can’t be bothered with these types of formulaic films anymore.

7 hours ago, NotThePars said:

To channel my inner Zizek.

"The true Matrix Resurrections of our time is a film where Neo and Trinity are never able to leave the Matrix and become more and more dependent on it to maintain their own identities and relationship as time goes on. In 1999 Neo can fight the Matrix, in 2021 he can only ask it to be kinder to him. Hmmmph"

I'm always a bit annoyed when film makers do the "studio forced me to do this" schitck. They somehow spent $190 million making this, i'm sure they could have made a far more interesting movie much more cheaply if they really wanted to. 

On 02/01/2022 at 23:56, deegee said:

Watching Saving Private Ryan on Channel 5. I remember watching this totally shocked at the cinema in 1998 when it was released , especially the opening 20-25 minutes on the D- Day Landings.

Absolutely tremendous opening to a film, none of this easing you into the plot or gently introducing the action, simply a big "here fucking have all this before you've finished your nachos/hotdog or whatever your eating" 

The whole film was just class, but the opening 20 odd mins was a level above that