What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 19/12/2021 at 12:34, Meldrew said:

There was some current day musician who said it was shite and the shark looked fake as f**k, caused i stink on twitter

Jaws is a monster movie similar to Alien or Predator.  As such there is always the issue of a convincing monster or not.  I can think of several films that went downhill when the monster appears - possibly most.

However the alien crab crawl scene was thankfully cut from Alien.  Jean Claude Van Damne was thankfully not the Predator.  Jaws benefitted from shark problems reducing the screen time for the shark and the music being an excellent substitute.

Suggesting the shark looked fake is an easy excuse.  Guess what.  It was.

Definitely an excellent film 10/10.

14 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Jaws is a monster movie similar to Alien or Predator.  As such there is always the issue of a convincing monster or not.  I can think of several films that went downhill when the monster appears - possibly most.

However the alien crab crawl scene was thankfully cut from Alien.  Jean Claude Van Damne was thankfully not the Predator.  Jaws benefitted from shark problems reducing the screen time for the shark and the music being an excellent substitute.

Suggesting the shark looked fake is an easy excuse.  Guess what.  It was.

Definitely an excellent film 10/10.

hey, you don't need to convince me i'm from that era, but there are a lot of 20 & 30 something that piss on old movies while using words like ''awesome'' for shite comic book movies, don't talk to me about fake when you mention that bag of w**k

Edited by Meldrew

1 minute ago, Meldrew said:

hey, you don't need to convince me i'm from that era, but there are a lot of 20 & 30 something that piss on old movies while using words like ''awsome'' for shite comic book movies, don't talk to me about fake when you mention that bag of w**k

Yes.  I know.

I am also okay with Jaws 2 but 3 and 4 are crap.

Spielberg had ideas after watching Creature from the Black Lagoon.  A decent film until the monster appears - apart from dreadful music score.

Them! Is a great film before the monster appears.

It, The Terror from beyond space precludes Alien.  Again, just a guy in a suit.

However if Jaws was remade today using Marvel comic style CGI it would look crap.  IMO.

On 17/12/2021 at 23:37, BFTD said:

Spider-Man: Home on the Range (cinema) - a young man is bitten by a radioactive spider. No spoilers, but you won't believe what happens next!

Really enjoyed this. Lovely to see some of the returning characters, and they pulled off the overarching premise nicely (albeit with practice from Into the Spider-Verse). There are some genuinely touching moments, some nice closure for prior storylines, and some quality work from the experienced thesps (although Tom Holland and Zendaya are quite charming). It finally feels like the Spidering Dude is part of Marvel's official universe, rather than a nice add-on. For the first time, I'm interested to see where they go with him now.

i have never seen one of these movies, Christopher Reeves as Superman & Michael Keaton as Batman is where it ended for me, i am firmly in the Martin Scorsese camp.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Yes.  I know.

I am also okay with Jaws 2 but 3 and 4 are crap.

Spielberg had ideas after watching Creature from the Black Lagoon.  A decent film until the monster appears - apart from dreadful music score.

Them! Is a great film before the monster appears.

It, The Terror from beyond space precludes Alien.  Again, just a guy in a suit.

However if Jaws was remade today using Marvel comic style CGI it would look crap.  IMO.

I've been meaning to watch Them! again since I got it on Blu-Ray - I remember it being surprisingly good. I got It, the Terror Beyond Space at the same time, and have never seen it, so I should make a double-bill of them at some point.

Totally agree that a CGI Jaws would be utter shit, and it almost certainly would've been a worse film if Bruce had operated correctly too, considering they had to limit his screen time as a result. Also, Jaws 4 gets all the flak for being a terrible film, which it is, but it's at least entertaining in its dreadfulness. Jaws 3 is easily the worst in the series; a genuine arseache, and they couldn't even properly recomposite the picture from the original 3D, so it looks awful too.

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)
It's fine. 
Can't say I understand folk losing their minds over a less good yet more calculated Into the Spider-Verse, but it's good fun and there's enough good stuff to balance out the bad.
I was on board after the first 20/25 minutes. The opening sequence was great fun and really well done, and the character moments in that time were decent enough. This was probably more to do with the premise and ideas rather than Ned and Zendaya being good characters, but the film was bookended by nice wee moments that were effectively shunned when all the other stuff was happening in between. I didn't like the way FFH ended as it felt like the trilogy was getting further and further away from what made Homecoming so good, but they actually clawed that back at the start of this and made me want a whole film of chucking celebrity status into Peter Parker's traditional issues. 
NWH's at its best when Spider-Man, Ned and Zendaya are talking or the (too many) villains are interacting and these two things never really feel like they share the same film which left me wondering why we had an identity revelation storyline and the multiverse nonsense in one. Tbh you could've removed the other Spider-Men and improved it. If you're too lazy to come up with new characters/actors then have this Green Goblin be transported into the MCU with NO WAY HOME and he actually does stuff with the identity revelation. Spider-Man could send him back to get iced by Tobey Maguire again but makes the tough choice to redeem him (NO ANTIDOTES). It's the same crux as what we got but removes unnecessary villains retreading stuff from the previous films and gives a clearer choice for Tom Holland to make while also actually staying true to the initial premise. 
I was actually surprised, in a good way, by how small-scale it all was. Spider-Man doesn't work when there are Earth-shattering consequences so just having him finding cures for baddies was more fitting. The villains' set-pieces are all contained enough, and the Spider-Man v Goblin stuff has plenty of weight behind it. The others not so much. I was also pleasantly surprised by how little they played up the nostalgia aspect, despite the grating fan service. The nostalgia all seemed to be in the marketing as opposed to the film itself, although there was too much fan fiction written by Online Teenagers and Losers. 
It'll be interesting to see how this is received once the hype wears off. I get the feeling it'll have a Force Awakens and Endgame (which are also both good fun) kind of reassessment. 
Finally, using spoilers to market your film is actually really clever and allows a load of unpaid people (i.e. the general public and critics) to do their job for them. It's all one big FOMO which is ridiculous considering 99% of people know what the BIG SECRETS are, thanks in part to some probably-deliberate leaks. 
My biggest issue with the current Spiderman films is I just can't stand Tom Holland's whiny manchild accent.

My biggest issue with the current Spiderman films is I just can't stand Tom Holland's whiny manchild accent.
I quite like that as he still seems like a kid despite being 25. I'm actually surprised we haven't reached oversaturation with Tom Holland yet but that'll probably come soon enough.

Bringing Out The Dead. 

A Schrader screenplay directed by Scorcese. Nic Cage, John Goodman, Ving Rhames and Tom Sizemore are psychotic paramedics in a nightmarish early 90s New York populated by junkies, drug dealers, prostitutes and the homeless. Funny, horrifying and a clue to what the NHS will be like by 2035.

On 17/12/2021 at 19:12, DeeTillEhDeh said:

My wife is getting us to go through all the Harry Potter films (as they are available on SKY right now) - I don't think I watched any of them all the way through the first time round.

I now realise why - they really are fucking tediously boring.

They are my fiance's carry-over-from-childhood series (mine is LOTR @Thorongil hi best friend <3) and I foolishly bought her the blurays for her bday when we were in lockdown last year. Incredibly foolish on my part as I think they have all been on. 

@Detournement and @BFTD read this earlier which I think you would enjoy given your recent back and forth. Not exactly the same ground but certainly related 

Entertainment Monopolies Are Zombifying Mass Culture (jacobinmag.com)

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

I haven't seen the majority of properties mentioned in the article (even my SImpsons knowledge is limited to the first decade or so), but it is remarkable how Disney (especially) appear to be working to give fans exactly what they think they want. I've absolutely no interest in most of their output, with the Marvel movies still a notable exception, but I've no doubt that I'll lose interest in those too eventually.

Thankfully, there's so much media being created elsewhere that it'll be quite easy to avoid the inevitable Star Wars/MCU crossover.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

I haven't seen the majority of properties mentioned in the article (even my SImpsons knowledge is limited to the first decade or so), but it is remarkable how Disney (especially) appear to be working to give fans exactly what they think they want. I've absolutely no interest in most of their output, with the Marvel movies still a notable exception, but I've no doubt that I'll lose interest in those too eventually.

Thankfully, there's so much media being created elsewhere that it'll be quite easy to avoid the inevitable Star Wars/MCU crossover.

The Simpsons only ran for nine series, that's a decade

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

What happened in the last episode, by the way?

Homer and Marge go out on their anniversary dinner, but are forced to take the kids. They end up having an unromantic dinner, and lose interest in being intimate later that night. Later, the two must go purchase a new refrigerator motor, but during a rainstorm, their car gets stuck in the mud, so the two rush into a barn. When the farm owner nearly discovers them, the two become excited and have sex. When they return home, they decide to spend a weekend at a bed and breakfast, but when they are there, they find themselves romantically uninspired once again, until a maid discovers them on a bed. They then realize that the fear of getting caught makes them excited. Later, they decide to go to a miniature golf course to have sex in the windmill there, just like they did when they were younger. The people there soon realize there is something inside the windmill, and the two barely manage to escape unseen. However, the people see their underwear, and realize someone was there. To get home, the nude couple steals a hot air balloon, but they accidentally wind up landing on a football field full of people. Homer and Marge travel back home, and are in the newspaper the next day.[52]

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Homer and Marge go out on their anniversary dinner, but are forced to take the kids. They end up having an unromantic dinner, and lose interest in being intimate later that night. Later, the two must go purchase a new refrigerator motor, but during a rainstorm, their car gets stuck in the mud, so the two rush into a barn. When the farm owner nearly discovers them, the two become excited and have sex. When they return home, they decide to spend a weekend at a bed and breakfast, but when they are there, they find themselves romantically uninspired once again, until a maid discovers them on a bed. They then realize that the fear of getting caught makes them excited. Later, they decide to go to a miniature golf course to have sex in the windmill there, just like they did when they were younger. The people there soon realize there is something inside the windmill, and the two barely manage to escape unseen. However, the people see their underwear, and realize someone was there. To get home, the nude couple steals a hot air balloon, but they accidentally wind up landing on a football field full of people. Homer and Marge travel back home, and are in the newspaper the next day.[52]

I think I remember that one.

Could've done with finishing a season earlier IMO..

55 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

They are my fiance's carry-over-from-childhood series (mine is LOTR @Thorongil hi best friend <3) and I foolishly bought her the blurays for her bday when we were in lockdown last year. Incredibly foolish on my part as I think they have all been on. 

@Detournement and @BFTD read this earlier which I think you would enjoy given your recent back and forth. Not exactly the same ground but certainly related 

Entertainment Monopolies Are Zombifying Mass Culture (jacobinmag.com)

That Simpsons stuff is depressing. 

It will get to the point where the big entertainment companies will decide to stop making films that don't deliver the maximum profit. 

A few people I follow on Twitter think Disney purposefully did a terrible job promoting The Last Duel, West Side Story and Nightmare Alley so they have an excuse to bury 20th Century Pictures and Searchlight (which they accquired from Murdoch with those titles in production).

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

It will get to the point where the big entertainment companies will decide to stop making films that don't deliver the maximum profit.

We've been there for a while, surely?  :lol:

They'll likely always want to have a few fingers in the pies of smaller scale production as corporations want all of the money, by their nature. Even if (say) 80% of the public pay to watch CGI Mark Hamill and Doctor Strange fight Thanos reanimated into the body of Lotso Bear on a Saturday night, that still leaves another 20% that they could be earning on other screens. Possibly the fan service sequel Bambi 2, where it turns out that Bambi's mother was just sleeping and everything is fine, the extended edition of Old Yeller, where the gun was loaded with medicine, and the elusive Mickey Mouse feature that wasn't complete dugshite.

Edit: does anyone else remember an advert that Disney used to include before the feature on their kids' VHS tapes in the '80s? It featured a clip from Old Yeller, with the tearful kid realising his beloved dog had rabies, and getting ready to shoot him. What kind of sickos stick that at the beginning of a tape of cartoons for toddlers?

Edited by BFTD

21 minutes ago, BFTD said:

We've been there for a while, surely?  :lol:

They'll likely always want to have a few fingers in the pies of smaller scale production as corporations want all of the money, by their nature. Even if (say) 80% of the public pay to watch CGI Mark Hamill and Doctor Strange fight Thanos reanimated into the body of Lotso Bear on a Saturday night, that still leaves another 20% that they could be earning on other screens. Possibly the fan service sequel Bambi 2, where it turns out that Bambi's mother was just sleeping and everything is fine, the extended edition of Old Yeller, where the gun was loaded with medicine, and the elusive Mickey Mouse feature that wasn't complete dugshite.

The point here is that Disney bought Fox not long ago and may effectively close it down. Result even fewer decent big budget films than now. 

Edited by Detournement