Rugster

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

4 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Sexy Beast

Ray Winston is a reluctant crook living a quiet life on the Costa Del Crime and Sir Ben Kingsley is the psychotic hoodlum who tries to coax him out of retirement for one last caper.

An excellent film and Kingsley us very convincing as the psycho nutjib.

8/10

Saw 'Ghandi' before I saw 'Sexy Beast' and was genuinely mystified as to how Ben Kingsley could play both characters convincingly. He did though. 

Just now, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Saw 'Ghandi' before I saw 'Sexy Beast' and was genuinely mystified as to how Ben Kingsley could play both characters convincingly. He did though. 

Laurence Olivier played both a Nazi Death Camp Doctor (Marathon Man) and a Jewish Nazi hunter (The Boys from Brazil).

Now that's acting!!!

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

Laurence Olivier played both a Nazi Death Camp Doctor (Marathon Man) and a Jewish Nazi hunter (The Boys from Brazil).

Now that's acting!!!

His part in Marathon Man was as scary as it gets. No special effects or gore. Just pure evil in his eyes and his voice. 

I enjoyed it, although I was never 100% sure what it was trying to be. There was times that it seemed very tongue in cheek and parody like, and then times it was deadly serious, and it shifted in an instant.

Two this week, and a bit of variety..

Promising Young Woman - Carey Mulligan revenge flick. Workmanlike rather than exceptional, but some good wee jinks in the plot as we go along. 7/10

Whisky Galore! (2016). I had npo idea they had remade this, and my first thought was "Why?", not in the slightest changed when I saw Eddie Izzard and Gregor Fisher high up ijn the cast list. Now, I'm prepared to get pelters for this, but I really enjoyed this. Modern actors and colour notwithstanding, the film retains the gentle innocence of the original, and was a more than acceptable way to pass an hour and a half or so. I'm giving it 7/10, largely due to it confounding my expectations, and also for having a couple of really funny moments. Nah, fúck it, 8/10. 

On 16/04/2021 at 22:53, Arch Stanton said:

Mississippi Burning (1988)

Loosely based on the true story of the murder of civil rights activists, Willem Dafoe and the always brilliant Gene Hackman play FBI agents tasked with investigating their disappearance. Dafoe is lead investigator but inexperienced, Hackman is not only from Mississippi but used to be Sheriff of a town just like Shiloh.

A tremendous ensemble cast of Frances McDormand, Brad Dourif, R. Lee Ermey, Michael Rooker and Stephen Tobolowsky and direction by Alan Parker keep things moving at a cracking pace right up to the very downbeat ending.

I dug this out and watched it tonight for the first time in about 20 years. 

It really is excellent.

Nobody (2021) dir. Ilya Naishuller

Bob Odenkirk is John Wick. That's it. That's the movie. 

This will get artificially inflated because it will be a lot of people's first movie back in the cinema but it's bang average. 

5/10

Under The Skin

Scarlett Johansson is an alien who is on a mission to rid the world of shell suited Glaswegians.

A very slow moving film but I found it mesmerising. Johansson puts in an amazing performance as the other worldly creature who is fascinated by the world around her. She also looks far sexier than usual with her black hair and cheap Primark attire.

I watched it a few hours ago and I can't stop thinking about it. Under The Skin indeed.

8/10

Under The Skin
Scarlett Johansson is an alien who is on a mission to rid the world of shell suited Glaswegians.
A very slow moving film but I found it mesmerising. Johansson puts in an amazing performance as the other worldly creature who is fascinated by the world around her. She also looks far sexier than usual with her black hair and cheap Primark attire.
I watched it a few hours ago and I can't stop thinking about it. Under The Skin indeed.
8/10

Great film. I’d like to watch it again, which screening platform did you see it on?

52 minutes ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Great film. I’d like to watch it again, which screening platform did you see it on?

I bought a used dvd for less than 2 quid, including delivery, off ebay.

It's ex Lovefilm stock and actually came in a Lovefilm sleeve with the stickers attached.

Killer Joe

A young ne'er do well hires an evil cop to murder his mother in order to claim an insurance pay out to clear his drug debts 

Let's just say that that the whole escapade doesn't go according to plan.

I like the blue collar, trailer trash setting and Matthew McConaughey is suitably scary as the sadistic killer. There's a couple of pretty nasty scenes but the whole film is laced with dark, tongue in cheek humour.

8/10

On 22/04/2021 at 22:20, tongue_tied_danny said:

Under The Skin

I'd have watched this years ago if I'd seen that synopsis at the time.

Promising Young Woman 

Wasn't sure before watching this, if only as it's directed by the Sister in law of John Robins, who I usually love but has spent a lot of time on the podcast recently talking about Fennell as if she's some plucky underdog. Her father is an eton graduate turned master jewelry designer, and her mother an author. She went to Marlborough college and oxford, after which I'm sure her family introduced her to some lovely people in the industry. 

Annoyingly, it's pretty good. Mulligan is probably the best I've seen her perform, and Burnham is the pick of a good supporting cast. It's funny and uncomfortable and you can tell Fennell has worked with Waller-Bridge in the past. The ending is very odd and implausible but otherwise really good film. 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

3 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Promising Young Woman 

Wasn't sure before watching this, if only as it's directed by the Sister in law of John Robins, who I usually love but has spent a lot of time on the podcast recently talking about Fennell as if she's some plucky underdog. Her father is an eton graduate turned master jewelry designer, and her mother an author. She went to Marlborough college and oxford, after which I'm sure her family introduced her to some lovely people in the industry. 

Annoyingly, it's pretty good. Mulligan is probably the best I've seen her perform, and Burnham is the pick of a good supporting cast. It's funny and uncomfortable and you can tell Fennell has worked with Waller-Bridge in the past. The ending is very odd and implausible but otherwise really good film. 

The message it gives at the end is really, really bizarre and feels dissonant with all the breathless reviews.

Just watched American Psycho for the first time. 

Mad. 

I'm going to need to sleep on it to form a full opinion. 

On 22/04/2021 at 22:20, tongue_tied_danny said:

Under The Skin

8/10

The beach scene is horrific.

The bus driver is incredible. 

Nomadland (2020)

Now I like slow movies. Even the ones that move along, glacier-like I can find satisfying.

However (puffs cheeks and exhales slowly), woman who worked for company which has closed their manufacturing plant moves around the country in a van which is also her home. She takes menial jobs and forms fleeting relationships with strangers, some of whom are also nomadic and she bumps into them at the next parking lot along the way.

That's it, there's nothing deeper. It's more like a documentary as McDormand and Strathairn (the pimp in LA Confidential and Carmela's bit of fluff in the Sopranos) seem to be the only actors; almost every other cast member "plays" someone with their own given name.

Best Picture, Director and Best Actress Oscars? Emperor's New Clothes time again.

The Vanished

Little psychological thriller that's quite decent. Basically, a husband and wife take their daughter on an RV camping trip and end up at a beautiful resort that's full of shady characters. The daughter then goes missing and the police are called in. Has a lot of nods to The Shining with some of the camera work, naming the female character Wendy and with some of the dialogue. Jason Patric does a real good turn as the local police officer. I watched it twice (once with the missus and once it was just on in the background) and it's surprisingly layered with lots of clues to what's going on that you'd never pick up on, on first watch. Reminded me ever so slightly of Three Billboards in terms of the vibe. It's nowhere near that level, naturally.

Decent little time passer. Nothing special, but worth a watch on Netflix.

6.5/10.