What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 23/09/2021 at 14:37, scottsdad said:

Doctor Strange (2016) 3/10

Feeble superhero movie. Cumberbatch spends the first half of the film acting like House, even sounding like him in places. Then overnight he's got amazing magical powers. Pisspoor story. Loads of CGI and Mads Mikkelsen cannot save this. 

I never liked Dr Strange in the comics and was surprised they made a film of it.

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Jaws (cinema) - It really can't be overstated quite how good that film is; an absolute masterpiece of tension.

^^^^

My dad took the whole family to see this in the pictures in 1975 and, unknown to us, we walked in half way through it. Just as well at that time you would just stay in your seat at the end and watch it over again!

18 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Big congratulations to the set designers who created Skyfall house/castle or whatever it was. Half-expected Austin Powers to turn up and say to the viewer “isn’t it remarkable how little a cardboard mock Tudor mansion on a moor in England looks like a Scottish castle?”.

image.jpeg.37adde20577b8d5795c7067d55647aa7.jpeg

Is that you turning up to price the exterior paint job?

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Very jealous of @BFTD - if I had known it was on at the cinema, I would have taken the wife and son. They are big Jaws fans - Scott memorised the Indianapolis speech for his Nat 5 in Drama.

Here's reverse Jaws...

165ba73be0623fb18691e8200deaddd8.gif

Keep an eye on the listings at the Stirling Vue - they're still showing a fair number of old films right now.

I had to take the wean to an appointment in Stirling during one of the brief gaps between lockdowns, and noticed that they were still open - literally all they were showing were classics, and I was raging that I had other things to do and wouldn't have an excuse to travel to Stirling again for a while. That day alone, they were showing Alien, Aliens, Predator, The Silence of the Lambs, and a bunch of other stuff. Could've spent the day there.

Edit: it's on again in three hours  :P

Edited by BFTD

Saw " The Many Saints of Newark" on Sunday night, good addition to the Sopranos story. Only gripe would be that the New Jersey police didn't seem interested in the various murders/running gun battles in the street. Still a solid 7/10 and it was good to be back in the cinema.

Two middle of the decade blockbusters today.

Godzilla (2014) dir. Gareth Edwards

I get the criticisms of this but I completely disagree. Rewatching it again on a bigger screen and a good soundsystem made me appreciate the scale Edwards conveys and the restraint he shows towards showing the monsters. The last 20 minutes are a joy that wouldn't have happened if he'd went gung-ho much earlier. That's before you get to scenes like the HALO jump which is class.

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) dir. George Miller

Nothing I can say that hasn't been said a million times before. Amazing cinematography and use of colour that looks even better in crisp 45 Ultra HD. The movie's also amazing at worldbuilding without overly expositional dialogue. You get the sense of this post-apocalyptic wasteland and how the elites come to control it in a few scenes without anyone really devoting much time to telling you. All the while it's great fun from start to finish and clearly effectively storeboarded and not CGI'd out of its nut like so many of its peers.

The Guilty(2018)

This is the original Danish film of the remake just out on Netflix with Jake Gyllenhaal. A cop is awaiting trial for something which will be revealed later and is given desk duties in the control room meantime. He takes a call from a woman who has been kidnapped and must try to locate her and direct officers to various locations etc. The whole film is set in the claustrophobic control room with only a handfull of characters and the main ones on the end of his phone. Outstanding......9/10. 

Two middle of the decade blockbusters today.
Godzilla (2014) dir. Gareth Edwards
I get the criticisms of this but I completely disagree. Rewatching it again on a bigger screen and a good soundsystem made me appreciate the scale Edwards conveys and the restraint he shows towards showing the monsters. The last 20 minutes are a joy that wouldn't have happened if he'd went gung-ho much earlier. That's before you get to scenes like the HALO jump which is class.
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) dir. George Miller
Nothing I can say that hasn't been said a million times before. Amazing cinematography and use of colour that looks even better in crisp 45 Ultra HD. The movie's also amazing at worldbuilding without overly expositional dialogue. You get the sense of this post-apocalyptic wasteland and how the elites come to control it in a few scenes without anyone really devoting much time to telling you. All the while it's great fun from start to finish and clearly effectively storeboarded and not CGI'd out of its nut like so many of its peers.

I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was a steaming pile of shit.

Style over substance.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Style over substance.

Lazy critique. Ignoring that style over substance isn't necessarily a bad thing when the style is so perfectly nailed it also succeeds in conveying a lot of the world building and themes without wasting time explaining it or really being didactic about what it's trying to say. 

No Time To Die.

I'm certain this will split opinion, for a number of reasons. I fucking loved it, though I am a massive Bond fan, so much so that I've seen Die Another Day in its entirety more than once.

Ana de Armas may be the most beautiful woman in the world, although Lea Seydoux definitely has a say in the destination of that trophy.

ana-de-armas-and-lea-seydoux-attend-the-

6 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Style over substance.

It's not patch on the original trilogy, but it does have a guy with hybrid guitar/flamethrower. Now that is fucking cool.

Mad Max 2 is the best of the bunch IMO.