Rugster

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

The Goodbye Girl 1977

Or, somewhat egotistically, the film's title caption states "Neil Simon's The Goodbye Girl".

Like most of Simon's screenplays the film is incredibly wordy and play-like  but Richard Dreyfuss is excellent and worthy of his Oscar. Marsha Mason (long before she was Sherrie in Frasier) and the girl (can't mind her name) also received Oscar nominations,

The plot is wafer thin (Mason gets dumped, her ex sublets their apartment to Dreyfuss, they initially are hostile flatmates but love flourishes) however, as I said, the excellent acting keeps the viewer engaged.

11 hours ago, Andre Drazen said:

DA Baracus has came up with genuinely the worst movie idea ever there. Naw even a good Jacob's Ladder scenario. 

Would've been worth it to see everyone throw the toys out the pram in the cinema.

Annihilation - Netflix - Natalie Portman is pressganged into joining an expedition into a mysterious, growing phenomena surrounding a lighthouse, after her soldier husband unexpectedly returns, sick and somehow different, from his own mission to the area.

This is definitely worth watching twice, although I'm not a huge fan. It's a film made to be discussed after viewing, and the internet seems to have bred various theories about what's going on, as it's purposefully vague in some ways. It's not really a horror film, although it does have a couple of gruesome scenes and tense moments, but they primarily exist to demonstrate that something very strange is going on within "The Shimmer". There does appear to be a bit of philosophy going on regarding change, and a second viewing lets you pick up supporting details that you might not have noticed the first time.

Worth watching, although I personally found it a little unsatisfying. It's interesting and unusual, though, and has some inventive audiovisual work going on too.

Suicide Squad - Blu-Ray - an illogical shady government type has the terrible idea to rope together a band of mortal crims to take on evil superbeings.

You can pick this up for a couple of quid now, so it's becoming a favourite when I'm in the mood for something entertainingly terrible. A film that just slaps you around with so much badness that it's hard to believe anybody who had money invested in the enterprise saw the final cut and thought, "aye, that'll do". It has a glorious onion quality that, when you get past the surface level poor decisions, there are a whole load of nonsensical treats to enjoy on subsequent viewings.

The main things that stood out this time were: Harley Quinn is almost as annoying as the Joker, and you could improve the film immensely by cutting out their flashback scenes altogether. It would've been nice to see a cut of the film with an actual score, instead of a constantly-shifting jukebox of horrifically on-the-nose pop songs. Enchantress is quite well done until you hit the halfway point, and she turns into a hilarious CG jiggling rave queen. The second act really does feel as though they changed the plot around entirely after filming and didn't have footage for some of the scenes they needed. And the urban dialogue is howling; somebody's dad's idea of how the ethnics outside of Beverly Hills talk. I can't believe it's taken this long to notice Killer Croc referring to Harley as "shorty"  :lol:

A moment, also, for that fucking creepy period of time when wee girls were wearing Harley Quinn costumes around all over the place. Y'know, the character in a horrific abusive relationship (that's still somehow portrayed as a romance), has her arse hanging out for most of the film, and that the camera stalks around like a sexual predator. What a world.

Smashed: 8/10
Recommended by my IOP counselor as a good film about recovery.
He’s not wrong, there are some obvious tropes but it gets a lot of the actual life of addiction on point.
Not necessarily a watch for everyone

On 01/03/2021 at 07:31, Andre Drazen said:

DA Baracus has came up with genuinely the worst movie idea ever there. Naw even a good Jacob's Ladder scenario. 

It was all a dream is the worst plot twist/ fan theory in the land. 

TBF, Robert Downey Jr is guaranteed to walk out of a shower in an MCU movie eventually.

Three kings.  A documentary on Amazon prime about the managerial careers of Shankly, Busby and Stein.  9/10.  Great to learn about managers before your time.  Being born in the 80s I’d heard the names but I wouldn’t say I’d known a great deal aside from browsing a few Wikipedia articles about them until I gave that a watch.

A Field in England - DVD - a small group of soldiers and an alchemist's assistant come under the influence of an Irish wizard during a battle in the English Civil War.

This is a very odd duck. FIlmed in black and white, which lends it a surreal feel and provides for some striking images, it's something of a horror film...but not really? The whole thing looks like it was cheap as chips to make, with only six cast members and filmed on location in a few fields, but it still feels like a quality production, with some convincing acting from the cast. The film gradually descends into a bit of psychodelia, which reminded me of classic Ken Russell, and that's no bad thing.

I'm not terribly sure how much I enjoyed it. There's a lot to appreciate, and it's certainly an interesting and unusual film, directed by Kill List's Ben Wheatley. Kill List had a certain amount of ambiguity, and there's even more in this movie. You're entirely welcome to make up your own mind what's going on. My main problem, which I also had with Kill List, is that it doesn't go anywhere that I found very satisfying, despite enjoying the ride on the way (although I did find Kill List to be the better film).

I've seen Wheatley's adaption of the JG Ballard book High Rise too, and it definitely feels like he has some stone-cold classics in his future; all three of his films that I've seen have disappointed, but they've all had something interesting to one degree or another, and all were worth watching. I'm certainly going to seek out his other films, and will look forward to his next big release - The Meg 2!  :lol:

The Resident - TV - Hillary Swank moves into a new, suspiciously cheap apartment after an acrimonious split from her boyfriend, but feels increasingly uneasy as time goes on.

Saw this on release ages ago, but had forgotten how odd the plot structure is; it's a thriller that makes it obvious what's going on very early into the game, and who's responsible, then just leaves you to wait for Hillary Swank to catch up. Unfortunately, it takes her until the end, and it's pretty tedious in the meantime. I couldn't help thinking they'd have been better off playing the mystery angle, as there's no tension at all in what they made.

Something else I'd forgotten is quite how thirsty the first half of the film is (I think that's the term the kids are using). If you've ever wanted to see a lot of long, lingering pans across Hillary Swank's scantily-clad body, or watch her w**k in a bathtub, well, this is the film for you, my friend.

Spotlight

The incredible true story about the Boston Globe investgating priests abusing children in the city. Superb performances by Michael Keaton and Mark Ruffalo

Edited by sfha

Ruffalo really seems to enjoy getting these true-to-life scripts. Anyone who liked Spotlight would probably get on very well with Zodiac and Dark Waters, the latter of which possibly comes to an even more shocking conclusion, considering most folk will now be aware of the Catholic Church's practices with their priests.

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot

9/10

Absolutely loved this! Laughed throughout and even came close to shedding a tear (oh Pearl Jam).

The references to all the previous films were tremendous and usually hilarious. Big shout outs in particular to Damon and Affleck in this regard!

I don't know what it was, but this movie was strangely soothing and comforting to me. It might be how it dealt with the past/present dichotomy, or more accurately (to me) dealing with the pain of having missed out.

Snoogans!

Edited by DA Baracus

Coming 2 America

Complete waste of time. I felt i was nodding off through most of it and maybe laughed once or twice. Stop making unneccessary sequels please

Jarhead

I saw this when it first came out and I gave it another watch last night. 

Jake Gyllenhaal stars as a young squaddie in the first gulf war. There's very little combat. It's mostly about bored troops sitting around waiting for something to happen. 

This is one of the few films that really shows what a bunch of arseholes military types can be, although I read the book years ago and it goes much further in that respect.

7/10

On 02/03/2021 at 09:25, NotThePars said:

It was all a dream is the worst plot twist/ fan theory in the land. 

Unless it's David Lynch. 

Source Code (2011)

Been meaning to watch this for ages as it's directed by Duncan Jones who did Moon, one of my favourite sci-fi films.

This one's not as good but still pretty decent as Jake Gyllenhaal plays a soldier who wakes up aboard a train in the body of another man. Part of a Government experimental programme he has an 8 minute time slot to play out over and over until he finds the bomber who is about to blow up the train. Quite a few plot holes but I suppose you expect that with any time travel type story. Bit of a twist at thend which I should really have seen coming.

Jones used the Chesney Hawkes song The One And Only as the wake up call for Sam Rockwell in Moon and uses it again here as a ringtone on the girl's phone.

7/10

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Jarhead

Jake Gyllenhaal stars as a young squaddie in the first gulf war. There's very little combat. It's mostly about bored troops sitting around waiting for something to happen. 

This is one of the few films that really shows what a bunch of arseholes military types can be, although I read the book years ago and it goes much further in that respect.

7/10

I only saw this once quite a while ago and thought it was so boring, the whole time waiting for something to happen, I'd probably enjoy it now I know that's perhaps intended. 

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Jarhead

7/10

I seem to remember hearing they made a few sequels that entirely missed the point and became the standard jingoistic, hoo-rah, sodjers are great extravaganza that America loves so much  :lol:

I'm surprised we've never had a straight-to-video Apocalypse Now sequel where a sane and rational soldier has to use the incredibly-efficient American military to travel through a foreign land, in order to deliver a medal to a top military leader who refuses to leave his post protecting local civilians from the evil opposition army because he just cares too damned much.