What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

You'll struggle to find a film franchise that sold-out more after its first film.

Aye they were my da's favourite movies so I've seen them all multiple times from a young age, never enjoyed the second one, thought the third was slightly better and we won't even mention the later ones... 

The End of Evangelion (1997) dir. Hideaki Anno

I've been rewatching the Eva series in anticipation of all 4 Rebuild movies dropping on Amazon tomorrow. This is the feature length retelling of the final two episodes which were originally released when the creators had clearly ran out of their budget. What was originally a very plot light introspective and positive conclusion is this time an action packed and much darker conclusion that seems more grounded in the conclusion about Anno's famous mental health problems arguably partially influenced by the vitriolic conclusion to the original series.

The best scene in this movie is when Asuka gets pummelled by the Eva series. Nightmarish stuff. Mostly great movie even if some of the scenes and implications are very suspect.

Also want to shoutout whichever poster watched this recently despite having never watched a single episode of the original series. What a powerful mind. I've watched it all twice over and still had trouble getting everything that was going on.

8/10

The original version of Alfie starring Michael Caine is on one of the minor SkyMovie channels at 9pm.

Released in 1966 when the Pill was only available to married women and before abortion was legalized it dealt with the all too real consequences of sex in the 60s.

It was remade in the 00s set in New York with Jude Law in the Caine role - I've never seen the remake but I doubt it could have the same impact as the original.

Promising young woman (2020) 7/10. Enjoyed this, story of a woman seeking revenge after her friend is raped because she was v drunk at a party.

Spoiler

Some double twist at the end with Cassie getting killed in her mission for revenge, then when you think the guy has got away with it seeing the scheduled messages and her back up plan coming into play.

Antrum (DVD) - mockumentary about the rediscovery of an obscure Seventies horror movie linked to mysterious deaths.

"Mockumentary" in the loosest possible sense, as there's just a brief "woo, infamous film" spiel at the start, and an even briefer (and shite) epilogue bookending the actual feature itself, which was clearly what the filmmakers were most interested in presenting. Unfortunately, it's pretty poor, with a young woman and her even younger brother traipsing through the woods to dig a hole to hell in order to rescue the boy's dug. A no-money-or-imagination effort that could have had some potential in different hands, but is just a dull, bloodless mood piece with nothing interesting for the audience beyond its premise.

BigFatTabbyBoy: "Ugh, it's a fucking arthouse film".

The Night of the Hunter (1955)

Before seeing this film Robert Mitchum had always struck me as a bumbling oaf of an actor; witness his murdering of Phillip Marlowe in the remake of "The Big Sleep" or him sleepwalking through Herman Wouk's "The Winds of War" and its sequel.

However...he is masterful as the preacher who terrorises a young boy and girl in order to find their criminal father's stash. He is also an absolute bawbag to their mother (Shelly Winters) and commits an act which was pretty shocking to the 50's movie goer.

Also featuring former silent movie star (and rhyming slang recipient) Lilian Gish in a pivotal role, it's one of the best movies of the 50s.

We went to see The Courier on Saturday and it was a really enjoyable movie. A true life gripping story with strong lead actors who gave some depth and credibility to the relationships between each other, colleagues and families. It also wasn’t too far- fetched, nor drawn out with silly “Tom & Jerry” type chases but retained the suspense you’d expect with Cold War espionage and the KGB on your case.

I’d definitely recommend this movie.

Zodiac

I rarely watch movies but I was bored and it was on Prime and had universal good reviews.

I didn't really like it much. 

If you take the three main performances in the movie Robert Downey Jr was rotten ham in a hot, unventilated room, Jake Gyllenhaal was slightly better but never looked like anything more than a guy pretending to be another guy and the only convincing performance was Mark Ruffalo as a weary police detective.

There was much praise of the film producing some kind of authentic atmosphere of the period but it seemed to me this was mostly done by slapping music of the time all over the film in a clumsy and artificially annoying fashion.  There was an obvious attempt at some kind of Scorsese-esque template but Scorsese uses period music in this films brilliantly and with much more success. This made me not like music I actually like.

The second half of the movie is simply a bore.  Even the Zodiac killer has given up to work in a hardware store but our plucky hero continues on with his amateur detective case work, obsessively researching a serial killer to the detriment of his relationship with his family.  The fact that at the end of the movie we get text that strains to explain that he still has a relationship with his kids (but not his wife) suggests there was some kind of realisation that the our protagonist comes across as, well, a bit of a douchebag.

The movie is over long and meandering, the story could have been tightened up and condensed but much like the 1990s in music when artists filled the full 74 minutes of a CD instead of making listenable albums, Hollywood has determined that quantity over quality rules.  If they can't make good movies anymore they'll give you a lot of movie as a misguided compensation.  It is also a good example of the second most common error in movie making these days, that complexity is a substitute for substance.

Zodiac isn't a terrible movie but it's not all it's cracked up to be.  The phrase 'in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king' and I suspect this is where this movies reputation comes from. It has uncommon cinematic aspirations but they are never fulfilled and ultimately elicits 'when does this end' checks and one large shoulder shrug as the credits roll.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Die Hard 2 is a poor rerun of 1. Agree on the third...but what about the others?

Diminishing returns. 4 is passable, but 5 is absolute dog meat: seeing Bruce Willis on the One Show sofa looking disinterested and like he'd rather be anywhere else is exactly how you'll feel watching that one....

10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Before seeing this film Robert Mitchum had always struck me as a bumbling oaf of an actor; witness his murdering of Phillip Marlowe in the remake of "The Big Sleep" or him sleepwalking through Herman Wouk's "The Winds of War" and its sequel.

However...he is masterful as the preacher who terrorises a young boy and girl in order to find their criminal father's stash. He is also an absolute bawbag to their mother (Shelly Winters) and commits an act which was pretty shocking to the 50's movie goer.

Also featuring former silent movie star (and rhyming slang recipient) Lilian Gish in a pivotal role, it's one of the best movies of the 50s.

It's one of the best movies ever. The scene on the river, the shadow in the bedroom, the angry mob and Shelley Winters underwater are absolutely stunning scenes. 

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Genuinely scary movie when I first saw it with Bob convincing as a quasi-religious psychopath who you just knew would let his left hand (HATE) take control when it mattered.

Charles Laughton's only movie as a director - Southern Gothic at it's best.

As for Mitchum his best work was in early noir  movies my personal favourite being Out of the Past (Mitchum, Kirk Douglas & Jane Greer as the Femme Fatale) - he was just phoning it in by the 60s trading on his past work much like another Bob (De Niro) does these days.