What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

15 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I must be the outlier on The Suicide Squad.

It was ok with some decent moments, but I wouldn't be rushing back to watch it again.

No, I'd agree. Enjoyable while it was on, but I can't see myself feeling the need to watch it again until I've forgotten what happens in it. Still probably the best of the recent DC universe films, though.

Speaking of which...

Jungle Cruise (cinema) - Rachel Weisz Emily Blunt takes her useless, cowardly brother John Hannah Jack Whitehall on a historical expedition with a mythological artefact, and enlists the help of swashbuckling local rogue Brendan Fraser The Rock Dwayne Johnson.

Another attempt by Disney to make a film from one of their theme park rides, this was much better than it had any right to be, much like Pirates of the Caribbean, which it happily cribs themes and tone from. It's one of the Golden Age throwback movies that Hollywood likes to put out now and then, like Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Mummy (1999), with a thrilling quest in an exotic land, filled with daring action for our star(s), and a comedy sidekick thrown in for good measure. Rollicking good fun while it was on, with a second-act twist that reignited my interest, but I probably won't feel the need to ever see it again.

Be warned - this film features a massive dose of Jack Whitehall playing completely to type. I got over it after about fifteen minutes, but those with a stronger allergy would be best advised to steer clear - he's on-screen for almost every scene. You can see why they've completely downplayed his involvement in the advertising. Oh, and kudos to @Zen Archer (Raconteur) for helping to punch up The Rock's dialogue.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse (2018) dir. Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman

Superb. Great soundtrack, cracking animation and a lot of fun and heart in the story with a lot of genuinely good patter. This is the only one I think comes close to the Sam Raimi ones which is funny since they're directly referenced in the first ten minutes.

Anyway, this is the most comic book shite I've watched in 10 years but if I don't watch anything else after this I'll be happy. Nic Cage is in it!

9/10

Rampage

Dwayne is actually really watchable and charismatic, which is fortunate because the film is tripe. Entertaining enough tripe though.  For a big ape film, way better than kong v Godzilla. For monsters in general, just above The Meg. 

5/10

Point Break (1991)

Hotshot fed Johnny Utah infiltrates a gang of thrill seeking, bank robbing surfers. Paddy Swayze is charismatic as the ring leader Bodhi, Keanu Reeves is handsome and Gary Busey is Gary Busey. 1991, but still got an 80's vibe. Miles better than the recent remake.

8/10

I've been on a Peter Falk binge.

A Woman Under The Influence - A John Cassavettes film with his wife Gina Rowlands playing a mentally ill housewife losing her grip on reality. Peter Falk is her husband trying to hold the family together but clearly on the edge of a breakdown himself. Hard to watch but absolutely rivetting, all the family dynamics are perfect. 

Wings of Desire - A really unique film about two angels observing Berliners which has more in common with modernist novels than most other movies. There is a plot concerning one of the angels played by Bruno Ganz but the film is mainly seeing the city and the people from the perspective of the angels who can hear people's thoughts and try to watch over people in crisis. Peter Falk plays himself working on a film in Berlin and gets involved in the main plot in a brilliant way. 

Burn After Reading (2008) dir. Coen Brothers

Rewatched this as my flatmate hadn’t seen it. Superb. The CIA trying to make sense of a bunch of dipshits causing havoc still does me in with David Rasche and JK Simmons making the scenes even funnier. John Malkovich is also far and away maybe my favourite actor.

9/10

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:

Bone Tomahawk

Kurt Russell is a small town sheriff in the 1890's who leads a rescue party for townsfolk abducted by an indigenous cannibalistic tribe. Not for the squemish......8/10.

Anyone wandering into that expecting your common-or-garden Kurt Russell western would have been in for quite the shock. Has more in common with the likes of Cannibal Holocaust in places.

Good film, would recommend too.

Burn After Reading (2008) dir. Coen Brothers

Rewatched this as my flatmate hadn’t seen it. Superb. The CIA trying to make sense of a bunch of dipshits causing havoc still does me in with David Rasche and JK Simmons making the scenes even funnier. John Malkovich is also far and away maybe my favourite actor.

9/10
Brad Pitt's performance is so good it made me hate almost every other Brad Pitt performance.

Brad Pitt's performance is so good it made me hate almost every other Brad Pitt performance.

I’m willing to be proven wrong here but I can’t name a director that understands Pitt better than the Coens (dumb idiot) or Tarantino (smug p***k capable of extreme violence). Both get the best out of him.

10 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I’m willing to be proven wrong here but I can’t name a director that understands Pitt better than the Coens (dumb idiot) or Tarantino (smug p***k capable of extreme violence). Both get the best out of him.

Yeah Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was an (maybe the) exception. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a big disappointment for me. I get that it was Tarantino's love letter to the golden generation, but it was just a bit pish for huge stretches with brilliant scenes spliced in from time to time.

So much of the runtime was just unnecessary for me. It highlights the difference between Scorsese and Tarantino. Scorsese tends to make the most of his huge runtimes (with some exceptions, I'm looking at you Silence) whereas Tarantino has got into the habit with self serving nonsense in his past few films IMO.

Life is beautiful (1997)

Decent Italian film the main character is extremely flamboyant too close to the edge of being an irritant for me but a good film if you happen to see it on. Very few films show Nazi atrocities outside of Germany, Poland, France etc. So interesting to see the Italian story of course worth bearing in mind the Italian's themselves perfected concentration camps during the 20's and 30's to kill Africans, you don't get a sense of this in the film.

Anyway not bad nice ending 8/10

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Yeah Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was an (maybe the) exception. 

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is his best performance for me. Killing Them Softly is good as well.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a big disappointment for me. I get that it was Tarantino's love letter to the golden generation, but it was just a bit pish for huge stretches with brilliant scenes spliced in from time to time.

So much of the runtime was just unnecessary for me. It highlights the difference between Scorsese and Tarantino. Scorsese tends to make the most of his huge runtimes (with some exceptions, I'm looking at you Silence) whereas Tarantino has got into the habit with self serving nonsense in his past few films IMO.

What bits didn't you like? I thought everything in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood seved a purpose. The Irishman though.....

Layer Cake - An entertaining enough gangster movie which is obviously hoping to be a serious movie but is closer to Lock Stock than The Long Good Friday. The director Matthew Vaughn is an uber posho (real name de Vere Drummond) and the subtext of this movie is working class criminals bad and stupid, upper middle class criminals good and clever. Daniel Craig and Micheal Gambon are excellent and it's always good to see Joe from This Life on screen. Sienna Miller has one of the flimiest roles i've ever seen basically so she model some nice sussys. Oscar winner Sally Hawkins also has a role that is similar but involves a machine gun. The ending is ripped off from Carlito's Way but it's well done.

Notorious - Ingrid Bergman is a good time girl who's father has just been jailed in America for helping Germany during the war. Cary Grant is the OSS agent who wants her to go to Brazil to uncover a Nazi plot. Really entertaining all the way through and Bergman and Grant are excellent as a mismatched couple who have to put their feelings aside for the greater good. I'm usually against remakes but this seems perfect for a Tarantino style remake which would make the Nazis (a word never said in the film) more grotesque and devious and make the Miami and Rio locations more sleazy and tropical. 

The film released in 1946 and instead of calling the villains Nazis it describes them as IG Farben men. That got me interested because of my love of Gravity's Rainbow and it turns out that any mention of IG Farben was cut out for 40 years because the US government wanted Americans not to think too much about how the vast majority of top Nazis were absorbed into the West German state with very little punishment.