What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Se7en (1995) dir. David Fincher

This also starred Morgan Freeman as well as Brad Pitt, Gwyneth Paltrow and a certain massive Epstein associate. It's cool to see the movie which arguably spawned a thousand knock offs. The crucial difference is that Fincher is a really good director and the main antagonist is a guy who's every bit as big a creep and monster irl as he is in this movie.

7/10

Saint Maud  (Rose Glass, 2019) 

Brilliant debut film from Rose Glass, announcing her arrival on the scene as a fully-fledged filmmaker of the calibre of Jennifer Kent, Ari Aster or Robert Eggers. It feels like we’re entering a golden age of horror, with so many talented directors emerging together (I’d add Brandon Cronenberg and Panos Cosmatos to the list). This beautifully restrained psychological horror film builds slowly and assuredly, and is as much a study of loneliness and despair as it is tale of faith and possession. Morfydd Clark is astonishing as Maud, and the sound design and soundtrack by Adam Bzowski is fantastically menacing. The cinematography by Ben Fordesman deserves credit too - I had no idea Scarborough could look so ominous. There are elements of Carrie, The Exorcist, Rosemary’s Baby and Repulsion here, and moments that recall Lynne Ramsay and Lars von Trier, but Glass transcends her influences to create something unique, and I can’t wait to see what she does next. 

9/10

8 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

Invictus

Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon star in this film about South Africa's victorious campaign in the 1995 Rugby world cup.

I've always avoided this film as rugby union is a deplorable activity only of interest to absolute worstcunts.

However, I did actually enjoy this, even though I have reservations over it's accuracy. I'd be astonished if a few games of rugby could unite such a divided nation.

Good performances by Freeman and Damon though.

7/10

It would be wrong to say a few games united the nation, but it was the first time really that the majority, if not the whole country, got behind the Springboks. Even on their return from the Apartheid ban in 92, vast numbers of the non-white South Africans would be actively supporting the opposition

On 09/06/2021 at 15:51, KnightswoodBear said:

I think that's being generous to Crystal Skull.  The rest are about right, i'd say.  Raiders is sublime.

Weird things that you love in films:  The bit where Marion and Indy are running away from the german plane that's about to explode, their legs are in perfect synchrony.  I always wonder if they did takes to get that deliberately or if it was just a happy coincidence.

It's about 4:19 here if anyone wants to see what the f**k I'm rambling about.

One of the things I always loved about the Indy movies was the sound effects in the fight scenes. Every time someone lands a punch it sounds like a tree being snapped in half.

4 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

One of the things I always loved about the Indy movies was the sound effects in the fight scenes. Every time someone lands a punch it sounds like a tree being snapped in half.

Yeah, love the sound effects of the punches, it's a totally unique "indy" sound.  Someone posted a YouTube thing the other day of the sound effects folk explaining how they got the noises for certain things from the films 

Nomadland 8/10

Heard about this film and saw it at the local cinema. Didn’t know what to expect but was impressed by this film, a story about a 62 year old woman who after losing her husband and the town she had lived in called Empire which shut down after the only employer in the town closed down the mine and plant. She decides to leave in a van travelling the country going from job to job to support herself. It tells of the people she meets along the way and like her who are Nomads going from place to place either in vans or whatever means of transport they have.
Many of the people featured in the film are real people telling their own story of how they became Nomads. Found it quite emotional at times.
Would recommend anyone to see it.

I noticed some stories earlier in the week about Indy 5 filming in the UK, with a lot of talk about Nazi vehicles and such. Been wondering how Indy's going to be taking on the Wehrmacht in what must be the 1970s, considering it's forty years since Raiders. At least it sounds like we'll be saved from Indy discovering a long-lost son who's really into this new punk rocking music that the young people like.

Anyway...Sorry to Bother You (DVD) - a struggling young black man lands a job at a cold-call centre, and learns that the key to success is using his "white voice".

Darkly amusing and entertainingly surreal satire on modern society in America, both in the compromises that black people have to make to fit in to corporate culture, but also how the lower classes are having their options in life squeezed, and the likely end results. A film that manages to lay out some stark points with a light touch, a big dollop of humour, and a delicious coating of the bizarre. Also full of good performances from a variety of actors you'll likely remember from that film that you saw them in; you know the one. Very much recommended.

Watched American Hustle for the first time last night. Some fantastic performances: Christian Bale and Amy Adams are as good as you'd expect, Jeremy Renner was unexpectedly not dull and Jennifer Lawrence was absolutely brilliant.

The story was entertaining enough, but where there's conmen or undercover stuff going on (or spies but that's nor relevant) i expect some twists and subterfuge in the plot. It was all too upfront. And the script was a bit clunky. 

6/10

Nobody

Basically John Wick except the main character worked for the military (I think?) instead of a hitman. Bob Odenkirk absolutely battering Russians all over the shop. Paper thin plot but very enjoyable nonsense. Hope to see more of it.

Welcome to Marwen 

7/10

A guy, Mark, takes photos of dolls in a model village called Marwen that he's built, which is a Belgium village set during WW2. He sort of lives through the adventures of the main doll, Hoagie, an American GI, based on him. 

We find out that Mark was attacked in real life by neo nazis for liking to wear women's shoes, and the assault was so severe that he's lost much of his memories and has to take medication.

He struggles with issues that he tries to resolve in his fantasy land of Marwen, whilst also trying to rebuild and move on with his life in the real world.

I'm not really describing this all that well, but it's worth a watch.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Welcome to Marwen 

7/10

A guy, Mark, takes photos of dolls in a model village called Marwen that he's built, which is a Belgium village set during WW2. He sort of lives through the adventures of the main doll, Hoagie, an American GI, based on him. 

We find out that Mark was attacked in real life by neo nazis for liking to wear women's shoes, and the assault was so severe that he's lost much of his memories and has to take medication.

He struggles with issues that he tries to resolve in his fantasy land of Marwen, whilst also trying to rebuild and move on with his life in the real world.

I'm not really describing this all that well, but it's worth a watch.

Based on a true story IIRC

One Cut of the Dead.

Japanese film on All4 just now. It's quite hard to describe this without spoilers tbh. It's almost like 3 films rolled into one. The first 'section' you need to stick with as it comes across as quite cheap and tacky but that becomes clear why later on. The second third of the film gives you the "Ah, I see what's going on now" and the final third is absolutely fantastic and pulls everything together. The last 20 minutes is hilarious and fantastic film making. The whole film is so well directed and keep watching as the credits roll to see another part of how well it's directed.

Thoroughly enjoyable film but seriously, stick with it early on as I imagine a few folk have thrown in the towel due to how cheap it feels.

8/10

Caught this on Prime last night, I'd never heard of it before but its been out since 2003!

An very entertaining tale with multiple strands about the lead up to a car crash at the aforementioned 11.14.

With a great cast including the late Patrick Swayze.

Raya and the last dragon

7/10

Enjoyable enough with some laughs along the way but fell too much into "Disney by numbers" at times. Nice message and the usual "feels" at the classic Disney moments but fell in to a lull for a long spell. Maybe lost a little bit of the effect watching on the small screen.

The Exterminator 2 (Blu-Ray)  - sequel to one of the more memorable sadistic revenge films of the 70's/80's. The Vietnam vet from the first film continues murdering street thugs, before they discover who he is and take their revenge on him, leading him to seek vengeance against them...you get the picture.

I vaguely remember finding the first film entertaining in that grim, prurient, exploitation fashion that makes you feel dirty afterwards - I think that's the film where a bad guy gets fed alive into a mincing machine feet first - but this is a pretty dull follow-up from those experts in wringing out pennies at the expense of quality, Cannon Films. It's as Eighties as an Eighties movie can get, with random (and poor) Flashdance sequences and breakdancing, to the kind of post-apocalyptic "street punks" that only existed in the fevered imaginations of wealthy movie producers. Mario Van Peebles hams it up as the gang leader who has a very ill-defined plan to sell lots of drugs to take over the city, and it's also some kind of cult? Very odd, and the set-pieces are generally pretty dire, especially the final showdown which consists of ten minutes of wandering around an abandoned factory for no good reason. Probably best avoided.

Only one extra on the Blu-Ray, but it's a revealing one, as it's a brief interview with Cannon's "fixer", a guy they employed to salvage films that had been mishandled by the (often rookie) directors. This film was one of those - he would basically try to take the existing footage and turn it into a more interesting film, which explains the disjointed feel. He wasn't able to obtain the services of the leading actor, who'd already moved on to another film, so he just had a stuntman wear a welder's mask for half the film  :lol:

I'd already seen the Cannon documentary, but the interview really gives even more of an glimpse into what a fly-by-night amateur organisation they were.

Edit: forgot to mention that the score sounds remarkably like the MIDI soundtrack to a late-Eighties Sierra Online game performed on a Roland MT-32. Once I realised why it sounded familiar, any shreds of credibility disappeared oot the windae.

Edited by BFTD