What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Raiders of the Lost Ark.  I could easily watch that map room scene with the John Williams score on repeat.

With regards to originals v sequels where the original is better, is there there a bigger gulf in quality than that between Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Temple of Doom?  The Matrix is a candidate, but Raiders is just too good.

Battle Royale is the biggest gap in quality. First film brilliant, sequel utter dogshite, getting rid of everything that made the first film great. Let's make them work as a team and give them all guns. f**k off!

I like the Temple of Doom. Biggest Indiana Jones drop off in quality is clearly from the third to the fourth film.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Battle Royale is the biggest gap in quality. First film brilliant, sequel utter dogshite, getting rid of everything that made the first film great. Let's make them work as a team and give them all guns. f**k off!

I like the Temple of Doom. Biggest Indiana Jones drop off in quality is clearly from the third to the fourth film.

Id say Green Street has the biggest gap in quality.

The original was absolute shite, the sequel was off the scale shite.

Id say Green Street has the biggest gap in quality.
The original was absolute shite, the sequel was off the scale shite.

I seen green street on Netflix a few weeks ago and couldn’t remember much of it. Was so cringeworthy.

The football factory was at least funny and you could imagine seeing idiots like them running around, whereas green street they made you think someone could impersonate a steward and attempt to start a riot and only get chucked out a stadium.

17 hours ago, BFTD said:

If you think Predators is bad, wait 'til you see The Predator!  :lol:

Anyway, watching Planet of the Apes on the telly, and I'd forgotten quite what an arch c**t Charlton Heston's protagonist is. Not sure if that was the idea, or if audiences in the Sixties were supposed to empathise with him.

In the film when he's getting his slave bird they're talking to someone and he's explaining that the women that died on the ship was supposed to be their "Eve" then he pauses and looks off from the camera wistfully and says something along the lines of "For her sake she's probably better off dead" 

Edited by Stormzy

22 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark.  I could easily watch that map room scene with the John Williams score on repeat.

With regards to originals v sequels where the original is better, is there there a bigger gulf in quality than that between Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Temple of Doom?  The Matrix is a candidate, but Raiders is just too good.

Is this a popular opinion? Genuine question as I always thought the first 3 Indy films were brilliant. The rope bridge scene in Temple is an all-time classic.

15 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Is this a popular opinion? Genuine question as I always thought the first 3 Indy films were brilliant. The rope bridge scene in Temple is an all-time classic.

I liked Temple of Doom when i was 8. Saw it about 10 years ago and it is extremely broad with a shite story and shite dialog. The action scene i remember is that kid sitting in a rail cart going "whoah oh oah oah" for about 15 minutes. I can't even remember what the story is now. 

I liked the banquet bit though

Apparently Speilberg dislikes it because it is too dark.  I I just thought it was a bit flat. For early 80s kids films, it's still ok, but that's a low bar. Compared to Raiders of the Lost Ark it's abysmal. Compared to that Crystal Skull bollocks it's Citizen Kane. 

Temple of Doom has its moments but overall it is too dark, and too set one location. 

it has one of the greatest openings ever though. Raiders and Last Crusade are sublime. 

For a true 4th installment play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atalantis, available on Steam.

Edited by Thorongil

Been a slow day at work and I have to sit on my laptop.

7 Golden Vampires was good, but should have been better. Hammer + The Shaw Brothers and Hammer demanded their director did the martial arts scenes. One Cut of the Dead was fantastic, clever wee mockumentary. Cosmic Sin was Bruce Willis at his worst. Just awful. New Mutants was mediocre. A few nice ideas but just meh overall.

image.thumb.png.c21b3ae811d2ae5632402830272e0a81.png

Temple of Doom's an edgy kids movie. Loved it when I was wee, then saw it a decade later and was shocked by how bad it was. Feel somewhere between the two extremes now; it just has so many iconic moments and the intro is terrific, but I swither about how annoying Short Round is, and Willie just needed to die, die, die.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull had numerous problems but, if they felt they needed a younger adventurer, I'd far rather they'd brought back an adult (and less annoying) Short Round than the embarrassing greaser mess they decided to have Shia LeBeouf play.

I've seen Raiders and Last Crusade much more recently than Temple of Doom, so maybe some of the individual great scenes in the latter are fogging my judgement. Last Crusade just pips Raiders as my favourite if I were forced to choose.

22 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark 10/10

Temple of Doom 8/10

Last Crusade 9/10

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 2/10

IMO.

I think that's being generous to Crystal Skull.  The rest are about right, i'd say.  Raiders is sublime.

Weird things that you love in films:  The bit where Marion and Indy are running away from the german plane that's about to explode, their legs are in perfect synchrony.  I always wonder if they did takes to get that deliberately or if it was just a happy coincidence.

It's about 4:19 here if anyone wants to see what the f**k I'm rambling about.

Invictus

Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon star in this film about South Africa's victorious campaign in the 1995 Rugby world cup.

I've always avoided this film as rugby union is a deplorable activity only of interest to absolute worstcunts.

However, I did actually enjoy this, even though I have reservations over it's accuracy. I'd be astonished if a few games of rugby could unite such a divided nation.

Good performances by Freeman and Damon though.

7/10