Rugster

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Us - Jordan Peele (2019)

A family of four get terrorised on their beach holiday by a family of doppelgängers. I've seen clips of this before and I'm not sure if I've had the twist spoiled because I knew it for most of the movie or it was just really obvious. Doesn't matter though as it's really enjoyable. Went off in a bigger and more expansive direction than I expected it to and was nicely tied off by the end. It also reminds me of Midsommar a bit in how it's quite funny in moments to liven up all the death.

Elizabeth Moss also seems to have a shite time of it in everything I've seen her in. Her family were wankers though.

9/10 

I got bored of Us as soon as it became daytime, although it was kind of losing me once they left their own holiday home. Everything before then is so, so good though, and I could've just spent the entire time watching and listening to the family (which made the latter-film unengaging narrative stuff mostly bearable). There's still loads to love about what Jordan Peele's doing. 

Brokeback Mountain,

Not sure what I was expecting, but probably the best film I've seen this year, forgot it was actors as I felt they were actually deeply in love by the end, something difficult to get right especially acting a different sexuality. Strong 9/10

Queen & Slim,

Nice film pre dates the George Floyd movement but obviously very much a film on the social and systemic issues gripping the United States. Really enjoyed the 2 leads and their chemistry. 8/10

Edited by 101

I watched LA Confidential last night. Spacey was great, Crowe had the worst haircut ever and Kim Basinger was incredibly hot. 

The 90s isn't the best movie decade in terms of high quality but it's definitely the most entertaining. 

On 21/10/2020 at 08:32, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

12 Years A Slave

What a powerful drama and eye opener.
9/10

Steve McQueen's films are all pretty great IMO. 

Not even finished it yet but The Arrival with Charlie Sheen is down here with one of the biggest loads of utter sh*t I've ever watched in my entire life. This film is...just so terrible. 

Psycho - Hitchcock at his best   , everything about this film is great . Excellent performances all round , great lighting, fabulous soundtrack , plenty twists and turns and of course brilliant direction. Superb stuff  9/10 

Brisk and unsentimental, two good leads, a few too many knife edge moments go the main guy's way and I found myself checking my phone a fair bit in the last half hour as a result. I suppose the borrowing of Christian imagery of the garden of Eden, hell, salvation as the film progresses was quite well realised.

8/10.

Borat subsequent movie (amazon) - 6/10. Not as laugh out loud funny as the first one , a lot more satirical comedy than slapstick humour or haha hes foreign humour this time that just raises a chuckle. Still worth a watch coming in at only an hour and 30 mins. The build to the bit at the end with Giuliani is decent.

Was thinking that the 2 Rednecks he 'moves in with' for a bit have to be actors no chance Americans could be that stupid then it gets to the fight for our rights rally and wow, I was probably wrong.

Inside Man : Most wanted. 

Load of shite with a couple of good actors. Roxanne McKee is in it though so it's a least a beautiful sight on screen for the most part. 

3/10.

Borat subsequent movie (amazon) - 6/10. Not as laugh out loud funny as the first one , a lot more satirical comedy than slapstick humour or haha hes foreign humour this time that just raises a chuckle. Still worth a watch coming in at only an hour and 30 mins. The build to the bit at the end with Giuliani is decent.

Was thinking that the 2 Rednecks he 'moves in with' for a bit have to be actors no chance Americans could be that stupid then it gets to the fight for our rights rally and wow, I was probably wrong.

Just finished this as well. It was never going to live up to the original movie with him being so well known from it. I would say most of the others were actors and that took away the shock factor which made the original what it was. Still a good watch with some genuine LOL moments.

I thought it was excellent. Agree not as good as the first but still laugh out loud funny, maximum cringey, and the plot was decent enough, too. Particularly the way it ended, though I won't say any more about that.

Borat 9/10

Borat 2 8/10 

Will probably rewatch both back to back with a few beers in the next few weeks.

This film is still one of the biggest WHAT. THE. f**k endings I have ever come across.

I loved Borat 2, was pleasantly surprised by it. Maria Bakalova steals the show.

Alone in Berlin (2016)

A middle-aged couple lose their only son in combat, during the German invasion of France in 1940.

Angered by the death of their boy & the events going on around them, the husband Otto decides to start writing postcards denouncing Hitler & the Nazi regime. They begin leaving them all over the city for folks to find.

Brendan Gleeson & Emma Thompson are great as Otto & Anna, it's a powerful movie, which is also a true story. 

Film4 were showing it recently.

Recommended 8.5/10 

36 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Alone in Berlin (2016)

A middle-aged couple lose their only son in combat, during the German invasion of France in 1940.

Angered by the death of their boy & the events going on around them, the husband Otto decides to start writing postcards denouncing Hitler & the Nazi regime. They begin leaving them all over the city for folks to find.

Brendan Gleeson & Emma Thompson are great as Otto & Anna, it's a powerful movie, which is also a true story. 

Film4 were showing it recently.

Recommended 8.5/10 

Thanks, just finished watching it.

The Nesting

Possibly the most a setting has overshadowed a film other than High Spirits. An agoraphobic writer travels to the boonies where she finds an incredible looking house and starts having feelings of deja vu. The acting throughout is way too over the top, but it's worth it for the jazzy freakouts, music and setting alone.

The house has it's own Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour–Stiner_House

6/10

Showed Mrs Boo a scene from Comey Rules with Brendan Gleeson playing Trump. Mentioned In Bruges which she loved but denied ever having watched it! That will be on the list for this weekend.