What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Wake in Fright - a young English teacher heads to Sydney for a Christmas vacation from his remote Australian posting, but ends up waylaid in another outback town.

This was OK; apparently it's one of Limmy's favourite films, and I'm not quite seeing that, but it's certainly unusual. It's basically a critique of outback culture from fifty years ago - the protagonist ends up embroiled in a world of binge drinking, gambling, and general nihilism that leaves him out of control and unable to escape. I've seen it referred to as "horrifying" and "terrifying", but it's not any of that, although the drunken kangaroo hunt is certainly sickening. An interesting glimpse at a different, bleaker world.

Transcendence - after receiving a fatal dose of radiation, a brilliant scientist has his mind copied into a sentient AI program that he has created with his wife. But is it really him?

I saw this a few years ago and was disappointed, considering the people involved, but with lower expectations this time I liked it more. The film seems to be becoming a Terminator prequel, but instead veers down a different path, poking at philosophical questions regarding the technology that mankind is on the verge of creating, and wrapping them up in an action-thriller veneer. It's more of a drama about a wife not knowing if her husband is still in the evolved being she's helped to create, however, and while it's not an unqualified success, I still enjoyed watching it this time out.

On 15/02/2021 at 12:46, Stellaboz said:

Chocolat (2000) 3/10 boring, boring film about a woman opening a chocolate shop and annoying all the local Cafflics after hearing about it watching "I Love you Man" 5/10 about a BillyNoMates getting married.

Juliette Binoche is a milfy wid.

Regarding 70s films I watched Dog Day Afternoon again recently.

The storyline is so crazy that it would be laughed at by every screenwriter except it's based on a  true story. Al Pacino and John Cazale rob a downtown bank in order to pay for Pacino's boyfriend's (Chris Sarandon) sex-change operation.

The 'Attica! Attica!' scene is electrifying and improvised by Pacino, so much so that Charles Dunning (who is also superb in this) has a genuinely shocked look on his face. The 2nd-last of Cazales amazing 5 movie oeuvre, and Lance Henriksen and Dominic Chianese have small roles.

Edited by Arch Stanton

The Howling Reborn - an American high school nerd finds himself turning into a werewolf.

This was just abysmal - cheap as chips, and appallingly written. Somebody obviously saw the then-popular Twilight films and decided to adapt a dead franchise to appeal to the Young Adult market, so it's full of moody thirty years olds standing about trying to look both intimidating and teenage, and they even cast a lead actor who is basically Harry Potter. Absolutely interminable scenes of poor, never-ending dialogue that goes nowhere. Looks like an amateur's first project. One of those bizarrely cheap "horror" films that doesn't include any horror as they'd no money for effects and a paucity of imagination.

Even worse, it's credited as an adaption of The Howling II novel, which was cheap and trashy but fun, and doesn't even share a rough plot outline to this. Just woeful horribad that probably causes brain cancer.

It doesn't look like we have a thread for old TV shows that aren't American, so I'll stick this in here.

Alternative 3 - Anglia TV faux-documentary about an investigative news programme that seems to uncover a devastating global conspiracy while researching a show on the "brain drain" of British talent to other countries.

This is one of the rare TV experiences that presented itself as factual and wound up a whole bunch of credulous people, similar to Orson Welles' War of the Worlds radio play, or later on, Ghostwatch. It's pretty well done, and about as plausible as something like this can be, but the really surprising thing is how pertinent certain aspects are more than forty years on. The possible conspiracy theory, with world governments withholding a devastating truth from the public, is perfect for the modern internet age, and the central conceit couldn't be more relevant to the 21st century. I don't think too many people would be surprised if the end goal is being worked on right now either.

I've been pretty vague in case anyone else fancies seeing it - it's probably more satisfying to go in blind.

I'm watching Green Street right now. I used to enjoy it and knew it was a bit cringe but after not watching it for probably 10 years... this is the worst yet best film ever made. The Australian Englishman is perhaps the most over acted character to exist, comes across like a Limmy impersonation. 

Quality film 10/10

16 hours ago, Stormzy said:

I'm watching Green Street right now. I used to enjoy it and knew it was a bit cringe but after not watching it for probably 10 years... this is the worst yet best film ever made. The Australian Englishman is perhaps the most over acted character to exist, comes across like a Limmy impersonation. 

Quality film 10/10

Green Street is embarrassing pish.

The Football Factory is marginally less pish.

Of all the hooligan films that I've seen ID is probably the best.

Awaydays could have been good but the fight scenes were unrealistic. It had a bunch of teenagers twatting and then slashing grown men. If they'd shown more accurate "pavement dancing" then it would have been much better. 

I've never seen one of the films about pwopah nawty hard men chibbing each other outside football matches.

There was something entirely depressing about journalists, authors, and filmmakers only being interested in depicting football fans as psychopathic thugs just as the sport was starting to shed the image of something that happened as a backdrop to violence.

29 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've never seen one of the films about pwopah nawty hard men chibbing each other outside football matches.

There was something entirely depressing about journalists, authors, and filmmakers only being interested in depicting football fans as psychopathic thugs just as the sport was starting to shed the image of something that happened as a backdrop to violence.

You haven't missed much. They're all shite, even ID, the one that people think is respectable because it has a proper actor in the lead role.

Virtually no film every captures football properly, even if we don't limit ourselves to the hoolie genre. The fact that Escape To Victory would probably make the top three shows how bad the rest are.

(I'm not including documentary films, there are a decent number of them that are very good).

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

5 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

You haven't missed much. They're all shite, even ID, the one that people think is respectable because it has a proper actor in the lead role.

Virtually no film every captures football properly, even if we don't limit ourselves to the hoolie genre. The fact that Escape to Victory would probably make the top three shows how bad the rest are.

(I'm not including documentary films, there are a decent number of them that are very good).

That's probably true of sports films in general TBH. Most of the decent ones use the sport as a backdrop rather than the main focus. The Damned United springs to mind.

Quite fancy a film about Neasden FC, although Sid and Doris Bonkers couldn't be trusted not to turn it into another bloodbath.

I think boxing has lent itself well to films over the years. As for the rest, as you say, the less actual sport there is in the film the better it tends to be.

I would definitely watch a Neasden FC film, though.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

I think boxing has lent itself well to films over the years. As for the rest, as you say, the less actual sport there is in the film the better it tends to be.
I would definitely watch a Neasden FC film, though.
Who would you have playing Sid and Doris?

Flight of the Living Dead - a mysterious cargo breaks open in the hold of a passenger flight. Have a guess what happens.

Yeah, it's Snakes on a Plane, but with zombies. There are a couple of actors you'll recognise from minor roles in other things, and another couple who look like other, better known actors, but sadly nobody as interesting as Sam Jackson. There's a cheap plastic plane model, the occasional interesting stylistic choice, and they manage to spin things out for a surprisingly long time until the inevitable happens. It's a bit dull, but competent enough and one of the better cheapo mockbusters I've sat through, which admittedly isn't far off talking up a trifle by saying it has less shit in it than the last one you made.