What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 08/02/2021 at 20:09, BFTD said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - fading TV actor Leonardo DiCaprio copes with a career crisis with his stuntman friend Brad Pitt, while his neighbour Sharon Tate enjoys the start of her film career in late '60s Hollywood.

Well, this was quite the pleasant surprise, in more ways than one. I don't remember feeling that any character was just a cipher for Quentin Tarantino, who also decided not to make his customary horrible cameo, and nobody referred to "n*ggers" at any point. There were, of course, the customary foot fetish scenes for QT to fap over, but if that's the trade-off then I'll happily take it.

This was a very enjoyable film - no great plot to follow, just Pitt and DiCaprio pootling about as the hippie era comes to an end, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them. I've never been a DiCaprio fan, but I thought he was excellent in this, and I really fell for the bromance he had going on with Pitt, for whom this kind of thing is like breathing. Of course, anyone familiar with Sharon Tate will know what the film is building towards, and...

Reveal hidden contents

...frankly, I was surprised and delighted that Tarantino decided to right wrongs in a similar fashion to Inglourious Basterds - there's absolutely no need to go over the Manson Family murders again, and QT obviously feels a fair bit of anger towards the people responsible, so his rewriting of history was a blessed relief.

Sharon Tate isn't so much a character in the film as a backdrop, cut off entirely from the rest of the film and viewed from afar as a happy young woman enjoying the life she's started to build. It was a good choice to leave the film without that being destroyed.

My only gripe was that a sudden fast-forward and voiceover from Kurt Russell was jarring and felt like the original cut of the film had been substantially longer, but nobody could satisfactorily edit it down. It's a flaw, but I'd forgiven it by the end. Quality stuff.

I like how Tarantino does the history re-writing.  Like you mentioned he first did it in IG and then again in OUATIH.  It's kind of him living out his fantasy of how he wanted certain parts of history to play out. I enjoy that he does it.

On 10/02/2021 at 07:23, Detournement said:

Inland Empire - Absolutely mind bending. Similar themes to Fire Walk With Me, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. I'll need to watch it again though as there were about 20 minutes of scenes in Polish and I was Chromecasting it so didn't get subtitles. Dreams are a big part of Lynch's work and this is most dream like. The ending is fantastic and Laura Dern is unbelievable.

Presumably you've seen this?

david-lynch-cow-laura-dern-oscar-inland-empire.jpg

10 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I like how Tarantino does the history re-writing.  Like you mentioned he first did it in IG and then again in OUATIH.  It's kind of him living out his fantasy of how he wanted certain parts of history to play out. I enjoy that he does it.

Once Upon A Hollywood is his ultimate fantasy. 

DiCaprio is the Clint Eastwood archetype and his conversation with the smart wee girl actor changes his outlook on performing and old style Hollywood acting develops into modern New Hollywood/European acting. 

Then at the final scene DiCaprio/Eastwood becomes friends with his neighbours which points to a possible future where Eastwood doesn't spend 50 years directing reactionary right movies and there's no need for a culture war because everyone gets along. 

Tyrannosaur 10/10

Peter Mullan plays Joseph, a bitter and violent man who strikes up an unlikely friendship with a  christian charity shop worker in Olivia Coleman. Coleman herself is the victim of domestic abuse and Joseph tries to help her and himself, through their relative hells. Eddie Marsan plays the abusive husband so theres three top quality actors straight off the bat. This was written and directed by Paddy Considine and despite it being an extremely hard watch, its one of the best films ive seen for a very long time. If you dont like your films dark, avoid this as its as bleak as it comes. I thought it was sensational and stays with you long after the credits roll up. Fantastic

Edited by Twinkle

The House That Jack Built - serial killer Matt Dillon outlines his view of himself as an artist via a series of murders that were of particular importance to him.

A really quite remarkably dull and pretentious piece that's filled with absolutely leaden dialogue and monologues that would make a corpse's eyes roll. In between, we're treated to a few murder scenes that seem to be trying to edgelord things up, but end up quite bland and uninteresting. The whole thing just feels like Lars von Trier read a few books about famous serial killers during a boring winter stuck in the house and decided to shoehorn his notes into a DOA script referencing Dante's Inferno that he hadn't been able to finish.

This is another film that supposedly inspired walkouts and fainting at Cannes, which once again leaves the impression that the festival audience must be composed primarily of pearl-clutching Helen Lovejoys who considered There's Something About Mary to be beyond the pale.

Weathering With You

Makoto Shinkai is mad overrated. Your Name was the definition of "looks nice but mostly meh" and this is the same, but less interesting.

5/10

Godzilla 2: Electric Boogaloo...or, Godzilla: King of the Monsters - giant monsters! Everywhere! Holy shit! Save us, Godzilla!

Thought I'd give this another go since discussions about Godzilla v Kong have started on here. I didn't think much of it at all on the first viewing, but I really enjoyed it this time out. It doesn't make a lick of logical sense, and it's bursting at the seams with contrivance, but just, wow, so much giant monsters. The character designs are great, and there are some absolutely gorgeous images in this film, and I just really, really enjoyed the big creatures knocking seven bells out of each other in a way that the Pacific Rim films just can't manage. Godzilla is just such a fucking mensch, and Ghidorah's a nasty badass, and GODZILLA EATS HIS FUCKING FACE! (spoilers)

Also, with the leaking of...certain plot points for the new film, suddenly the post-credits scene makes sense. Boo, Charles Dance. BOO!

Tag - a bunch of men play tag.

Bit of an odd duck, as it's a fictionalised version of the real-life story of a reporter discovering the middle-aged men who have been playing the same childhood game for 30 years. It's not a bad comedy, has it's moments and is generally genial and easy watching. However, the biggest laugh of the film comes at the end when they unveil the real portly tag players, most of whom are barely capable of more than a brisk shuffle, but who've just been portrayed as parkour athletes by Hollywood heartthrobs Jon Hamm and Jeremy Renner.

Every "based on a real story" should end this way. I recommend a new ending for anything based on the work of the Warrens - The Conjuring, Annabelle, The Nun, and however many other spin-offs - where real-life Elizabeth Warren says, "we made it all up for the money, suckers!"

News of the World on Netflix starring Tom Hanks who is delivering a young German girl to her distant family across America in western times. Quite a predictable ending and I’d like there to have been a bit more trouble in the hills but a heart warming film and well worth a watch.
9/10

Chocolat (2000) 3/10 boring, boring film about a woman opening a chocolate shop and annoying all the local Cafflics after hearing about it watching "I Love you Man" 5/10 about a BillyNoMates getting married.

Also watched The Love Punch 7/10 with German voiceover. 

Hungerford - found footage about a Body Snatchers-style alien invasion in the titular English town.

Didn't realise I'd already seen this until the female lead appeared, and the horrible memories came flooding back. It's a completely uninspired rip off of stuff like Cloverfield with absolutely no budget, and a cast of incredibly irritating Home Counties wanky student types who presumably made this for their final Media Studies project. Just terrible in every way, and also one of the most egregious examples of "why is the camera even running now?" in a genre that's virtually defined by that question.

I also get the feeling that they decided to release this under the title Hungerford to take advantage of the town's notoriety, which is pretty fucked up.

Sword of Gideon

Mid 80s made for TV movie about a bunch of Mossad agents hunting down the terrorists responsible for the Munich Olympics massacre.

This was remade as Munich around 20 years later by Steven Spielberg. The storyline is roughly the same in both films, although Spielberg's version is a lot slicker and has more exciting and dramatic set pieces.

In the original the low budget shines through. Despite being set in the early 70s there was no real effort made to capture the period. The clothes, hairstyles and cars are all firmly 80s. It also drags on a bit longer, particularly around a few plot points that Spielberg barely touched upon. There are a couple of scenes, even a few lines of dialogue, that are virtually identical in both films. 

That said though, I'm a fan of most espionage type films so I found this fairly interesting.

6/10