What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Never understand how Duel isn't mentioned more often when people talk about Spielberg's best films. It is fucking ace.

It's classed as a TV Movie, wrongly IMO because, although that's how it's perceived in the USA, for its theatrical release it was extended to 90-ish minutes which made it a 'feature film'.

I watched Groundhog Day. I forgot how good Bill Murray is in it. Listening to Sonny and Cher and having to meet Ned Ryerson everyday would drive me insane. A very good film, and quite possibly Egon Spengler's best work as a director. 8/10

6 minutes ago, Loki said:

I watched Groundhog Day. I forgot how good Bill Murray is in it. Listening to Sonny and Cher and having to meet Ned Ryerson everyday would drive me insane. A very good film, and quite possibly Egon Spengler's best work as a director. 8/10

Big fan of your work

I watched Groundhog Day. I forgot how good Bill Murray is in it. Listening to Sonny and Cher and having to meet Ned Ryerson everyday would drive me insane. A very good film, and quite possibly Egon Spengler's best work as a director. 8/10

Apocalypse Now - owned the DVD for years but never sat down to give it a watch, it really struck me how much it looked like the middle of  a warzone, real gruesome movie, crazy to think its from the 1970's, still really enjoyable though and I've been hearing the making of documentary 'Heart of Darkness' is a good watch. 

I watched Groundhog Day. I forgot how good Bill Murray is in it. Listening to Sonny and Cher and having to meet Ned Ryerson everyday would drive me insane. A very good film, and quite possibly Egon Spengler's best work as a director. 8/10

Watched Kenneth Branagh's 1989 adaptation of Shakespeare's play Henry V last night. Dunno how many P&Bers who take enjoyment from Shakespeare or his plays' adaptations, but this was certainly one of the best imo. Equal parts very dramatic and yet realistic to the time period, easy to follow, fantastic acting (a surprisingly great cast, including kid Christian Bale), and a brilliant score. Had seen Olivier's 1945 version a few years ago, and though the set pieces are cool and he's a great actor, it still feels like a slog and overly patriotic having been made during WW2. Branagh's film meanwhile is full of the post-Vietnam and post-Falklands distaste for war and highlighting the miserable truth of it along with the dramatic Shakespearean style, and for a lad of 27 Branagh does a cracking job as star and director.

Easy 8/10 for me, could be 9 after a rewatch.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

2 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

It's not even a competition

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The first two Godfathers already give it a million point head start.

To back up my point I watched The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie directed by John Cassavettes last night.

Ben Gazarra plays a nightclub owner who gets into gambling debts which leads towards the Chinese bookie. Gazzara's performance is brilliant and he has the smoothest voice, the hoods are genuinely nasty guys and the girls that work in the club have some of the best tits in cinema history. The final action sequences really ramp up the tension but it ends in an interesting original way. 

image.thumb.png.973927b25d231c7e353cf89121b41a30.png

These days it would have to be a Ryan Gosling type but old scummy looking actors are the best. I immediately recognised the guy in the middle as the sniper rifle guy from Kubrick's The Killing. Googled him and he is Timothy Carey and apparently a bit of a lunatic in real life which comes across vividly on screen. 

Edited by Detournement

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

To back up my point I watched The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie directed by John Cassavettes last night.

Ben Gazarra plays a nightclub owner who gets into gambling debts which leads towards the Chinese bookie. Gazzara's performance is brilliant and he has the smoothest voice, the hoods are genuinely nasty guys and the girls that work in the club have some of the best tits in cinema history. The final action sequences really ramp up the tension but it ends in an interesting original way. 

image.thumb.png.973927b25d231c7e353cf89121b41a30.png

These days it would have to be a Ryan Gosling type but old scummy looking actors are the best. I immediately recognised the guy in the middle as the sniper rifle guy from Kubrick's The Killing. Googled him and he is Timothy Carey and apparently a bit of a lunatic in real life which comes across vividly on screen. 

The brilliant Seymour Cassel as one of the hoods as well. Great film.

Saint Maud.........Didn't get this at all...terrible...3/10.

Palmer..........mentioned by someone here last week. Justin Timberlake comes out of jail and ends up befriending a young boy whose mother is a waste of space. Great performances from both....8/10.

The End of Evangelion (1997).

Apocalyptic Anime Sci Fi. Visually incredible. Makes you work a bit to work out what's going on or has been going on, but not too hard. A bit avant garde in the structure. Only criticism is that the jism in the opening scene could have been better drawn. 8/10

Escaflowne: The Movie

Lovely animation, OST is fantastic, as expected from Yoko Kanno, but the run time rips the guts of the tv show's story. Still passable, but not the same.

6/10

Edited by Comrie