What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I saw Young Guns 3 is in development so I watched the first one. 

Emilio Estevez and Lou Diamond Phillips absolutely dominate but Kiefer Sutherland is a wet blanket compared to his virtuoso performance in the sequel and Charlie Sheen is completely wasted and I was actually glad when he got shot whereas when I was a kid I was gutted. Solid entertainment but nowhere near the level of the mighty Young Guns 2: Blaze of Glory. 

Burn after reading. Coen bros comedy of manners. The first 7/8 are pretty good.

All star cast. John Malkovich and Tilda Swinton are top notch as the central couple of twats. Brad Pitt is enjoyably OTT as a dumb gym bunny. Frances Mcdormand steals the show as a superficially sympathetic lonely spinster, who is dangerously self obsessed. George clooney is also ott but in a really irritating way. 

The whole scene setting and plot unfolding is packed with good understared character comedy and a reasonably silly plot. 

The denouement and ending lets it all down though. What actually happens isn't bad, plot wise, but it just feels half arsed and rushed. 

6/10

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Burn after reading. Coen bros comedy of manners. The first 7/8 are pretty good.

All star cast. John Malkovich and Tilda Swinton are top notch as the central couple of twats. Brad Pitt is enjoyably OTT as a dumb gym bunny. Frances Mcdormand steals the show as a superficially sympathetic lonely spinster, who is dangerously self obsessed. George clooney is also ott but in a really irritating way. 

The whole scene setting and plot unfolding is packed with good understared character comedy and a reasonably silly plot. 

The denouement and ending lets it all down though. What actually happens isn't bad, plot wise, but it just feels half arsed and rushed. 

6/10

I fucking loved that movie mainly cause of Malkovich who's maybe my favourite actor. Also that little tidbit about a Q-Anon Capitol couper stealing a laptop from a Democrat's office and trying to pawn it to the Russians. Life imitating the Coen Brothers' art.

Tag (Netflix)

A group of mates play a game of tag (tig) every May for the whole month. One of them has never been tagged in any game they've ever played, including when they were kids. As daft as it sounds, entertaining for the most part, and featuring the lovely Isla Fisher as the ultra-competitive wife of one of the guys.

It's based on a true story, which originally featured in the Wall Street Journal.

7/10

Les Miserables (2020)

Terrific movie, a police officer moves to Paris and joins a sort of enforcement unit in the banlieus. His partners are your classic bent copper (Ted Hasting gif plz) and a more sympathetic polis who's going along with it anyway.

The local kids are victimised by them, the local gangster-mayor and only seem to be genuinely supported by a group of former gangsters turned devout muslims.

Hard to talk about without giving too much away but the best film I've seen so far this year.

The Skin I live in (2011)

A bit different from the other Almodóvar I've seen, without the autofiction elements. He blends body horror, revenge thriller and his usual melodrama. Terrific performances from Banderas and Elena Anaya. Disturbing movie but couldn't take my eyes off it. 

How on Earth do they make a Young Guns 3? I seem to remember the second one ending fairly definitively.

Antichrist - after the accidental death of their child, therapist Willem Dafoe takes his wife Charlotte Gainsbourg to a wilderness retreat in an attempt to help her complete the grieving process. It doesn't go well.

Well, WTF was that all about. Very much your archetypal arthouse movie, the film starts out pretty well grounded in family tragedy, gradually introduces hallucinatory imagery and symbolism, before  (appropriately) veering off into hysteria in the final third. It's all entirely down to interpretation, and I thought it was really rather well done until a final-act reveal that quickly leads from uh-oh-this-isn't-going-well to gruesome physical violence and mutilation.

It's one of those films that feels like it's going somewhere throughout, but the end result was always going to colour my overall feelings about the film, and the destination was pretty unsatisfactory for me. Dafoe and Gainsbourg are both excellent, and there's a terrific atmosphere of foreboding and approaching menace, but it's probably more of a film to watch if you have a circle of friends who like nothing better than to debate the nature of misogyny.

Oh, it also had a talking fox scene that's probably meant to be horrific, but was fucking hilarious.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Tag (Netflix)

A group of mates play a game of tag (tig) every May for the whole month. One of them has never been tagged in any game they've ever played, including when they were kids. As daft as it sounds, entertaining for the most part, and featuring the lovely Isla Fisher as the ultra-competitive wife of one of the guys.

It's based on a true story, which originally featured in the Wall Street Journal.

7/10

Watched that last week.  Was pretty dece.

Saint Maud

Wowzers. This is quite a journey. The score is excellent and really adds another dimension to the sheer sense of dread that was already being ramped up to 11 by a pretty fucking upsetting lead performance, pretty much working through a religion based mental breakdown from start to finish, and it gets extremely intense at times.

10/10

Duel (1971)

I'm not a huge fan of Spielberg as I think his historical pieces are a bit revisionary but Jaws is one of the finest thrillers ever made and this film, Duel is also excellent.

Dennis Weaver (those of my age will remember his as McCloud) is driving a car to an appointment somewhere in California. He overtakes an artic tanker and the driver , inexplicably, takes offence to this.

What follows is 90 minutes of the unseen (or is he?) trucker terrorising Weaver on the open road. Spielberg, in what was originally a TV Movie but extended by 25 minutes into a feature, keeps the tension and excitement going through some cute direction and even makes a few blooper appearances, most notably when reflected in the glass of the phone booth at the SnakaRama.

There are no famous actors (apart from Weaver) and only about half a dozen parts with significant dialogue but that's not important as Weaver and Spielberg are enough to keep us engrossed.

While I remember

Akira

I'd never seen this before, so I was delightfully unprepared for how absolutely batshit mental it is. It looks absolutely brilliant as well. It's one problem, and it does become a BIG problem by the time it's done, is it feels overdrawn into the last 15 minutes. So I won't go perfect score quite. But it's ridiculously watchable.

9/10

As a sidenote, it also features a delightfully blunt insult out of nowhere. "Hey you! You're a cretin!"