What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Watched Full Metal Jacket again last night. I knew it had been made in England, but hadn't realised it was just next to my London work venue in Beckton.

I'm doing this a lot now when I watch a film, checking locations. I was missed off that Prince of Thieves hadn't used Nottingham castle.

FMJ was mostly done in a huge disused gas works in Beckton, East London and in the Norfolk Broads. 

I had a look on Wiki which said he "worked exclusively" from his house for a bunch of his films (not FMJ) so I might have misheard that as something else.

She was part of that Imagine sing along with other celebrities taking part from their mansions during the early days of the pandemic.

Prob not what he was referring to but worth a mention.

I was referring to her being a former member of the IDF and seemingly referencing a bunch of Palestinian children being killed by a missile, but that Imagine thing was horrific as well.

What Happened To Monday?

Riddled with plot holes, stupidity- yes, this truly is a switch your brain off action film. I'm a little disappointed as it came from the director of Dead Snow but as long as you stop thinking it's a passable watch.

5/10

Crock of Gold: A Few Rounds with Shane MacGowan

Documentary about the hell-raising Pogues frontman. Slick and well made with some good animated sequences but I thought it dragged a bit in places. The segment covering his early childhood was pretty dull but it got more interesting when it got to his music career.

6/10

Defiance (2008)

During WWII, Belarussian Jews hide out & fight Nazis in the forest, led by the 3 Bielski brothers.

Good movie based on true events, the special features on the disc had a nice piece on today's descendants of the 'forest partisans'.

8/10

Rescue Dawn (2006)

Another biopic/true events movie.

On his first mission, during the Vietnam war, US Navy fighter pilot Dieter Dengler is shot down over Laos, gets captured, tortured & is holed up with 6 other prisoners, some who are clearly mentally ill due to their ordeal.

An escape plan is hatched, the real highlight of this movie though is the jungle cinematography & music.

Directed by Werner Herzog 8/10 

On 01/01/2021 at 12:39, BFTD said:

Glad to see somebody else mention this. I assume everyone was just so happy to finally see Wonder Woman on the big screen that they didn't want to think too much about who was playing her. She's an expressionless doll.

Everything I've seen her in she's been awful, glad to see she's consistent . Probably means I'll give it a miss

Mr Holmes -  Ian McKellen stars as the now retired Sherlock Holmes ,who's memory is now failing him . Along with the son of his housekeeper he's trying to remember the facts behind his final case , the case that caused him to retire. Told in series of flashbacks it's a nice gentle tale   The type of film that used to be on TV on a Sunday afternoon when I was younger. 8/10