What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

11 hours ago, BFTD said:

Never thought much of Lost in Translation, but it did introduce me to Peaches. No, not Scarlet Johansson's arse. Although, that too.

Zodiac was surprisingly gripping, despite containing few surprises for anyone familiar with the case. No doubt Mrs @mathematics was all over the inaccuracies.

She was very disappointed in it. She says “the film was very boring, and serial killers are not boring”.

46 minutes ago, mathematics said:

She was very disappointed in it. She says “the film was very boring, and serial killers are not boring”.

How many has she met? Most of the comments I've seen is that they're surprisingly boring people.

(no, I'm not a serial killer)

Sadly the wife decided to put on "The Prom" on Netflix last night out of desperation for something to watch.  1/10 where the 1 is simply for Nicole Kidman being an absolute ride throughout. 

Horrific, horrific stuff. I don't mind a musical every now and then but this was utter shite. What is meant to be a nice message is utterly lost in a shit-fest of songs written by a brain damaged 5 year old and a plot possibly written by the Game of Thrones directors given their previous. A disgusting abortion of a film where the actors tried their best to save. Yes, even everyone's favourite hated fat pri*k James Corden shows a bit of talent in this but sadly the writing is such that it gets lost. 

Also, what happens to the young lass at her on prom is awful, utterly awful and if I was a young LBQT person I'd be utterly shiting it after seeing that alone. 

Burn After Reading. I was underwhelmed the first time I saw this but ten years later I get it. Everyone is fucked by vanity, lust and boredom and JK Simmons is hilarious.

The Third Man. An absolute classic. Orson shows up with up 30 minutes to go and the charisma is unreal. Alida Valli looks incredible and it's got the best music. 

welles-lime-smirk.gif

The King of Comedy. It's strange rewatching it after the Joker. It's obviously much better but I'm definitely in favour of Joaquin Phoenix remaking Robert De Niro movies. 

The next film I watch will be Stop Making Sense on Christmas Eve with the volume cranked. 

Edited by Detournement

A street cat named Bob is a very uplifting and enjoyable film about a junkie who’s life is turned around by a stray cat. I’ve been meaning to catch this for ages as I already knew the music as Charlie from Noah and the Whale released it on Spotify years ago. 8/10

The sequel was decent but not as good as it was too samey. 6/10

Burn After Reading. I was underwhelmed the first time I saw this but ten years later I get it. Everyone is fucked by vanity, lust and boredom and JK Simmons is hilarious.

John Malkovich might be my favourite actor. Superb in this and everything else.

The Empty Man

As soon as I seen that this was a horror movie with a runtime of 135 minutes, there was definitely alarm bells ringing and it turned out to be right. A cold open which lasts 22 minutes, and none of it was needed, even if it was kinda linked to what comes later. The rest of the runtime isn't much better, but it does have some nice moments scattered about which brings the score up a bit. Get the sense there was a decent movie buried somewhere in here.

3/10

The Swerve

And then onto this which was quite the contrast in quality. This was spectacular if extremely uncomfortable viewing. It's basically the chronicle of a woman having a mental breakdown. The escalation is hard viewing the longer it goes on, which I'd guess is the point here. Everyone else around her seems to be merely along for the ride, and telling the story purely through her only points that out more. It's a late runner for my favourite movie of the year to be sure.

10/10

Uncle Frank

Paul Bettany plays the main character Frank who moves from South Carolina to New York to hide his sexuality from his backward thinking family.(All set between 1969 and 1974) His 14 year old niece connects with him (played with the star of the film by Sophia Lillis) who we see later when she moves to New York to study at university and stumbles across the secret life he has being hiding for 10 years from his family. Outstanding performances all round and well worth 8/10.

Uncle Frank
Paul Bettany plays the main character Frank who moves from South Carolina to New York to hide his sexuality from his backward thinking family.(All set between 1969 and 1974) His 14 year old niece connects with him (played with the star of the film by Sophia Lillis) who we see later when she moves to New York to study at university and stumbles across the secret life he has being hiding for 10 years from his family. Outstanding performances all round and well worth 8/10.
Good film.[emoji1305]

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

The third adaptation of Dashiell Hammett's novel is widely regarded as the first "film noir". The first two, TMF (1931) and Satan Met a Lady (1936) both deviated from the novel by having a happy ending and it was this which drove John Huston, in his directorial debut, to make a version true to the book.

Outstanding performances by Bogart, Astor, Lorre and Greenstreet (in his film debut), a wee uncredited cameo by John's father Walter and a seven minute long single take capturing the scene between Spade and Gutman.

Apparently it wasn't shown on US TV for over 20 years because of the implications that O'Shaughnessy was promiscuous and Cairo was a homosexual!

Superb from start to finish, if you've never seen it treat yourself and give it a go.

On 22/12/2020 at 22:34, Detournement said:

The Third Man. An absolute classic. Orson shows up with up 30 minutes to go and the charisma is unreal. Alida Valli looks incredible and it's got the best music. 

welles-lime-smirk.gif

Everything about it is superb. From director Carol Reed's opening monologue to that long, long walk from the cemetery.

The Ferris Wheel, the "Cuckoo Clock" speech, the cat playing with the laces, the weird little boy with the funny hat.

The tremendous acting of Wells, Cotton, Howard, Lee and Valli.

And the zither music...it's all sublime..

On 16/11/2020 at 17:33, UpInTheAyr said:

Hard to Kill will always be my favourite Seagal flick. The sight of him flailing his fat flabby arms up a hill in his workout montage, the unusually graphic violence, and the incredible one liners which he absolutely pulls off with no conviction at all.

90s classic.

in fear of coming across as a Seagal aficionado, Hard to Kill if I recall correctly was one of his earlier films and at a time when he was in pretty good shape. It was definitely pre-wig.