What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

12 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

In what famous film in 1975 does the monster only get 4 minutes of screen time?

In what famous film in 1979 does the monster only get 4 minutes of screen time?

Jaws & Alien.

Edit: the film this was in relation to also does that annoying thing of referencing scenes in grown-up movies made by talented people. There's a bit where everyone's holed up in a room, barricaded against the nasties, when they hear noises that imply their defences have been breached. Everyone slowly looks down (rather than up) towards the sound, before someone exclaims, "the basement!"

Yes, we know you'd love to have made Aliens, but you're just making us wish we were watching that instead.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

20 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Jaws & Alien.

Edit: the film this was in relation to also does that annoying thing of referencing scenes in grown-up movies made by talented people. There's a bit where everyone's holed up in a room, barricaded against the nasties, when they hear noises that imply their defences have been breached. Everyone slowly looks down (rather than up) towards the sound, before someone exclaims, "the basement!"

Yes, we know you'd love to have made Aliens, but you're just making us wish we were watching that instead.

This reminds me of video rental shops.  Most of business was new releases while other shelves had videos sorted by category and gathering dust.  Occasionally I would try a dusty video but 9 times out of 10 I would regret it.

Alien and Predator did a great job of a convincing monster but I can think of plenty that were let down when the monster finally appears.  "It, the terror from outer space" predates "Alien".  "The thing from another world" predates "The Thing".  "The creature from the black lagoon" was better before the creature shows up.  "Revenge of the creature" is famous for the bit part of an actor more famous now.

Edited by Fullerene

Hang 'Em High . Clint Eastwood as a marshal on a revenge mission to catch a lynch mob who wrongly strung him up . Pretty standard stuff , looks a wee bit dated nowadays. It was the first film produced by Clints own production company . 6/10 

Judy 7/10

Tells a little part of the life of Judy Garland and how horrific a work schedule she was forced into as a child on screen, and her struggle in later life to function in society. It's an absolute shame anyone is brought up like that and then left without any real life skills it seems.

I also watched Enola Holmes and thought it was utter dug shit for the most part. The acting was fine, the plot was weak AF. Nice to see Elle from Stranger Things again.

8 hours ago, Fullerene said:

This reminds me of video rental shops.  Most of business was new releases while other shelves had videos sorted by category and gathering dust.  Occasionally I would try a dusty video but 9 times out of 10 I would regret it.

Alien and Predator did a great job of a convincing monster but I can think of plenty that were let down when the monster finally appears.  "It, the terror from outer space" predates "Alien".  "The thing from another world" predates "The Thing".  "The creature from the black lagoon" was better before the creature shows up.  "Return of the creature" is famous for the bit part of an actor more famous now.

Aye, you need money and talent if you want to show off your monster, but you can get away with just talent if you're going to hide it. Make the rest of the film interesting in some way.

It doesn't really cut it to make the creatures invisible and leave your characters kicking about waiting for something to happen!

High Noon with Gary Cooper. No crazy graphics, no outrageous chase scenes or nuclear explosions. Basic, understandable story, incredible tension and a magnificent star turn from Cooper, backed by a great soundtrack. 9/10

Edited by Hampden Diehard

6 hours ago, stanton said:

Hang 'Em High . Clint Eastwood as a marshal on a revenge mission to catch a lynch mob who wrongly strung him up . Pretty standard stuff , looks a wee bit dated nowadays. It was the first film produced by Clints own production company . 6/10 

Bigger part than he had in "Revenge of the creature".  Oops sorry I thought you were replying to something I had just posted.

Aye, you need money and talent if you want to show off your monster, but you can get away with just talent if you're going to hide it. Make the rest of the film interesting in some way.
It doesn't really cut it to make the creatures invisible and leave your characters kicking about waiting for something to happen!

I watched the 2014 Godzilla movie recently and was actually quite surprised they had the budget they did and decided to show a bit of restraint with showing off the big guy. I’m unashamedly a fan of that movie though and think it got a bad rap.

Got round to watching The Taking of Pelham 123 (1974) last night. Really good character led heist romp. Surprisingly funny without being comedic. The pacing was great and there was a beat to the dialogue and editing that married with the jazz funk score and the railway theme. 

Not perfect by any means but great fun and cool.

I can see why Tarantino stole/homaged the names. If you have to choose one version, choose this over the slicker remake. 

8/10

Face

Cockney gangster flick from the 90s starring Robert Carlyle, Ray Winston and, err, Damon Albarn.

Hackneyed, cliched pish. Albarn's acting skills are pretty fucking dreadful. Carlyle is really not convincing as a tough guy. 

There's a few twists in the plot that I saw coming a mile off.  It's nearly rescued by some brutal violence and a reasonably cool Britpop soundtrack. But that isn't enough. I very nearly cringed myself inside out watching this utter pish.

0/10

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

On 26/09/2020 at 19:30, Mark Connolly said:

Bill and Ted Face the Music

Not sure how to feel about this tbh. It was absolutely fine, and I enjoyed it, but I still felt a bit disappointed. There was just something missing. Maybe it was the lack of George Carlin and the fact I can't stand Kristen Schaal. The movie-long impression of Keanu Reeves as Ted by the daughter from Atypical was absolutely magnificent though.

I went to see this last night and I was much the same. I liked it but didn't love it. It was perfectly nice and quite funny in places but something just seemed to be missing from the first two films (well, maybe not the second one so much). I did like that some of the original cast were back. Ted's Dad looked like he had been raised from the grave to appear in it. A decent enough 6/10 for me.

Edited by RiG

The Searchers -  The Classic combination of Ford & Wayne teamed  up for this classic western in what  some would say was one of John Wayne's finest performances , certainly one of my favourite John Wayne films  . A very different more darker role than his usual characters as he plays a vengeful civil war veteran searching for a tribe of Indians who slaughtered his family and kidnapped his niece  played by a young Natalie Wood .  Plenty excellent support from  Jeffery Hunter , Ward Bond  ,  Hank Worden & Vera Miles . Great stuff 8/10 

Edited by stanton

God Bless America

An angry middle aged man has had a real bellyfull of contemporary society so he teams up with a fucked up teenage girl and goes on a killing spree across the USA. 

A darkly satirical tale highlighting how shallow and nasty modern pop culture is. 

I kinda agree with the overall sentiment of the film but I did find it slightly preachy at times.

I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10.

Saint Maud is great. It probably has a combined 10 minutes of out and out horror (and boy is it horrible) but the rest of it is so disconcerting and atmospheric. I might just be an idiot, but it seemed to keep its thematic cards really close to its chest for maybe half of the runtime and the direction of the second half completely shocked me.

The sound design is really chilling and both that and the editing contribute to some massive shocks.

The way it ends, not necessarily the ending, is one of the best I've seen in horror or really any film.

Fancy watching that, is it just at the pictures at the minute?
I saw it in the cinema, which I'd recommend although understand why some folk wouldn't to, and can't see anything about a VOD release. I'm sure A24 have made a big deal about it trying to "save cinema" (sadly in vain, probably) so I'd guess it won't be on demand soon.