What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

It's a shame that after over two decades of trying to get this made, Gilliam has given us this. It's a mess. It feels like he's tying to blend the insanity/mental unstability aspect of The Fisher King then tries to blend in some of the fantastical stuff like Time Bandits. It doesn't work. Driver and Pryce are game and do their best, but the plot if confusing and the script is dreadful.

For a so called passion project is doesn't have very much of it.

5/10

Edited by Comrie

I See You 2019

I really enjoyed it, a fair sprinkling of misdirection in the first half, all neatly explained during the remainder.

And what a soundtrack, top notch electro which reminded me a lot of 70s/80s Sheffield bands Cabaret Voltaire and Hula.

ETA I was well over half an hour into it before I realised the female lead was Helen Hunt. f**k me that's some bad cosmetic surgery she's had, she looks like Odo from Star Trek DS9.

Edited by Arch Stanton

The Stranger (1946)

Lesser known film-noir but pretty good with Edward G Robinson playing a War Crimes investigator trying to hunt down a Nazi played by Orson Welles who has settled in Connecticut and is now married to Loretta Young. It's a game of cat and mouse with Edward G using every trick he knows to reveal the true identity of Welles. The story works well apart from the fact that there is not the slightest hint of a German accent.

7/10

The Stranger (1946)
Lesser known film-noir but pretty good with Edward G Robinson playing a War Crimes investigator trying to hunt down a Nazi played by Orson Welles who has settled in Connecticut and is now married to Loretta Young. It's a game of cat and mouse with Edward G using every tick he knows to reveal the true identity of Welles. The story works well apart from the fact that there is not the slightest hint of a German accent.
7/10
Did a bit of a double take at hearing this described as "lesser known", but that's probably me showing my age.[emoji69]
It is a cracking film, though.

59 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Did a bit of a double take at hearing this described as "lesser known", but that's probably me showing my age.emoji69.png
It is a cracking film, though.

Believe me I'm no youngster but it's not a film I had heard of before, I usually think of The Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, The Big Sleep and Touch Of Evil when film-noir is mentioned.

Birds of Prey and the Fabulous Emancipation of Harley Quinn

7/10

A lot of fun. A bit try hard in places but entertaining overall. A far better use of the Harley Quinn character than Suicide Squad. In fact this was pretty much the movie that Suicide Squad should have been, and I'm sure that's intentional.

Lack of Joker is a huge positive, especially since the Leto Joker is easily and by far the worst. 

I was pleasantly surprised with Birds of Prey. The kind of film I'd never have bothered seeing without my unlimited card.

Harley Quinn was one of the only positives of Suicide Squad and showed she's a character that was more than capable of carrying her own film without all the shite that dragged SS down.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I appreciate Jared Leto’s Joker in as much as he’s the actor most likely to become the Joker off the back of how his portrayal was received

Nah, he was 'corporate wacky'. He was what a load of suits thought 'crazy' should be. It was as dreadful as it was boring.

Every single version before him was so massively superior in every way.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Nah, he was 'corporate wacky'. He was what a load of suits thought 'crazy' should be. It was as dreadful as it was boring.

Every single version before him was so massively superior in every way.

No I'm saying I could see Jared Leto legitimately becoming the Joker in real life.

10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

No I'm saying I could see Jared Leto legitimately becoming the Joker in real life.

Ah. Get you.

There's loads of folk who think 'being the Joker' means being some sort of edgy alternative individual.

In reality it means being a dull, unoriginal boring flange with zero personality.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I don't think the Joker would be tragic enough to send people his spunk to prove how ker-razy he is.

I'm guessing all that edgelord bollocks was to cover up for the fact that he's a dull millionaire milquetoast with no confidence in his own ability to play the character.

9 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I don't think the Joker would be tragic enough to send people his spunk to prove how ker-razy he is.

I'm guessing all that edgelord bollocks was to cover up for the fact that he's a dull millionaire milquetoast with no confidence in his own ability to play the character.

*Zizek voice* The Joker eesh *sniffs* thee ultimate tragic feegure. A man who ish possessed with potent agency yet ish *sniff* unable to imagine anything beyond *nihilism* and *revenge*. 

The Joker has been the role model for edgelord dumb guys ever since The Dark Knight. Couple that with Leto's method acting for a role that got cut to like 7 minutes in the cinema release and I could see an origin story for a real life millionaire Joker. Mind he started a cult at the start of Covid where they didn't realise there was an ongoing worldwide pandemic until like a month after it had spread across the globe.

The Nicholson, Romero and Ledger Jokers were all so superior in every single way, and were all unique and relevant to their respective films and Batmans.

The Leto Joker was never going to work regardless of the time he got.