What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

13 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'd love to look in to this further, but I believe I'd have to watch a Hilary Swank romcom in order to pass judgement, and I'm afraid that's never going to happen.

On the other hand, that leaves plenty of scope to judge you for having done such. Feel my scorn.

We've all did what we could to get our hole a teenager

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

War of The Worlds (2005)

Decent enough, great action & special effects. The ending is a bit sugary but a big part of this adaptation was about a dysfunctional dad connecting with his kids.

7/10

The first act of that movie is class. Also gives us one of the best "Tom Cruise running away from danger" performances.

8 hours ago, NotThePars said:

We've all did what we could to get our hole a teenager

You did what to a teenager, now?

8 hours ago, NotThePars said:

The first act of that movie is class. Also gives us one of the best "Tom Cruise running away from danger" performances.

Dunno what happened to Spielberg twenty years ago, but he can't half make part of a cracking film now. The drop in quality is immediate and immense as soon as they get the car on the freeway.

6 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

You did what to a teenager, now?

Dunno what happened to Spielberg twenty years ago, but he can't half make part of a cracking film now. The drop in quality is immediate and immense as soon as they get the car on the freeway.

The first glimpse on it was with A.I. which was almost 20 years ago.

Half the movie was great, half utter shite.

13 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The first glimpse on it was with A.I. which was almost 20 years ago.

Half the movie was great, half utter shite.

See also Minority Report, the film that included at least three endings, each of which was worse than the last.

3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Talking about terrible AI I wasn't a fan of Saving Private Ryan either to be honest.

WW2 films/TV shows which are just fleg waving US propaganda really grate on me. The Jerries are illustrated as cannon fodder and wander/stand about like zombies from a shite early 00s computer game.

Bah!

Saw a film in the States which opened with an American embassy under assault and being evacuated. Once everybody's out, somebody realises that the flag is still flying, so the Marines go in to rescue the flag. One of them dies in the process. This spurs on the plot for the rest of the film.

At no point during the running time does anybody say, "wait, we got a man killed for a piece of fucking cloth?", and apparently I was the weirdo for being incredulous over the entire premise.

8 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Saw a film in the States which opened with an American embassy under assault and being evacuated. Once everybody's out, somebody realises that the flag is still flying, so the Marines go in to rescue the flag. One of them dies in the process. This spurs on the plot for the rest of the film.

At no point during the running time does anybody say, "wait, we got a man killed for a piece of fucking cloth?", and apparently I was the weirdo for being incredulous over the entire premise.

As you probably know in North Korea every household is required to have portraits of the Kim on prominent display.  There are stories of people rushing back into burning buildings to rescue the portraits while others have got into serious trouble for not doing so.

Sounds a bit similar to the film you watched.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

As you probably know in North Korea every household is required to have portraits of the Kim on prominent display.  There are stories of people rushing back into burning buildings to rescue the portraits while others have got into serious trouble for not doing so.

Sounds a bit similar to the film you watched.

There's a brilliantly baffling film to be made about an incident at a North Korean embassy on American soil. Maybe they could have a small-scale war over who gets to rush in and rescue the useless inanimate objects first. Make it part of Independence Day 3 - bemused aliens executing the populace while the military fannies about protecting graven images.

It's amazing how often in American films that, in the wake of some disaster, they'll cut to a shredded flag. Destroyed buildings...well, it's not good...bodies everywhere...oh, that's a shame...torn, dirty Stars & Stripes...OH MY GOD SOMETHING TERRIBLE HAS HAPPENED!  :lol:

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

There's a brilliantly baffling film to be made about an incident at a North Korean embassy on American soil. Maybe they could have a small-scale war over who gets to rush in and rescue the useless inanimate objects first. Make it part of Independence Day 3 - bemused aliens executing the populace while the military fannies about protecting graven images.

It's amazing how often in American films that, in the wake of some disaster, they'll cut to a shredded flag. Destroyed buildings...well, it's not good...bodies everywhere...oh, that's a shame...torn, dirty Stars & Stripes...OH MY GOD SOMETHING TERRIBLE HAS HAPPENED!  :lol:

Things the Americans are proud of

The flag

Pledge of Allegiance (to the flag)

National anthem (song about the flag)

Iwo Jima statue (again the flag)

Landing on the moon (and putting up the flag)

They really have a thing about that flag!

The Divide (2011)

A handful of people shelter in the basement of their apartment building after a nuclear explosion.

Things deteriorate rapidly, a look at the breakdown of human dynamics amongst a group of people trying to survive.

The film has some pretty disturbing moments.

Recommended

8/10

Mean Streets

Classic 70s thriller starring De Niro & Keitel. I'd say that this is my third favourite Scorsese film.

It's actually quite frustrating watching De Niro's Johnny Boy character f**k up so much. In the past I've watched helplessly as a couple of close friends have dug massive holes for themselves through irresponsible, reckless and careless  behaviour, albeit not on the same scale as in the film. So I do feel empathy with Keitel's Charlie to an extent. It can be difficult to be loyal someone like that without allowing yourself to be dragged down to their level.

Enough of the deep and meaningful stuff. This film is also kinda cool. There's a hip rock 'n' roll soundtrack and some amusing dialogue.

10/10

On 07/08/2020 at 09:21, Fullerene said:

Things the Americans are proud of

The flag

Pledge of Allegiance (to the flag)

National anthem (song about the flag)

Iwo Jima statue (again the flag)

Landing on the moon (and putting up the flag)

They really have a thing about that flag!

I used to think it was an obsession with what the flag represents in their minds; all the values that people consider makes up the (largely imaginary) America they visualise being a citizen of.

Turns out that, nope, it's the actual physical cloth that's the important thing. Maybe there was a shortage at some point.