What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 13/07/2020 at 22:53, spud131 said:

The Old Guard 7/10

Fairly decent couple of hours. Charlie Theron leads of group of 4 'immortal' mercaneries who live in fear of being of exposed.
A few bits felt a wee off and the main 'villain' was abit shit and cliched but still enjoyable enough. Set up for future sequal(s).

Pretty much my feelings exactly. Was a fun enough experience, not a great film and a lot felt like something lifted directly from another film. But there's enough to like

The Bourne Supremacy

Fancied rewatching this old favourite tonight, I downplayed in my head how good this is. Best of the original Bourne trilogy, and ergo of the Whole series. Tight, full of intrigue, a plot that builds at a good pace, some decent espionagye-y performanceswith Matt Damon, Joan Allen and Brian Cox genuinely excellent. Fantastic action scenes and a really down to earth, grimy and realistic visual style. 

9/10

Time After Time (1979)

Another underrated gem from the 70s, it stars Malcolm McDowell as HG Wells and David Warner as Jack the Ripper.

Warner steals McDowell's time machine to escape Victorian justice and transports to 1979 San Francisco. McDowell follows him, meets and falls in love with Mary Steenbergen and tries to apprehend Warner before he resumes his ripping tendencies.

Despite loads of plot holes it's a really entertaining take on the time-travel genre with the two male leads excellent throughout.

22 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

The Bourne Supremacy

Fancied rewatching this old favourite tonight, I downplayed in my head how good this is. Best of the original Bourne trilogy, and ergo of the Whole series. Tight, full of intrigue, a plot that builds at a good pace, some decent espionagye-y performanceswith Matt Damon, Joan Allen and Brian Cox genuinely excellent. Fantastic action scenes and a really down to earth, grimy and realistic visual style. 

9/10

When I was in uni we had to write a report on the 2012 US Presidential Election. When writing about Romney's Mormonism I put the heading "The Mormon Identity" and when I was given it back with feedback just saw a big tick next to the heading. 

A White White Day

Icelandic film with Ingvar Sigrdsson as a smalltown policeman who's wife dies in a road accident. On going through her stuff he begins to suspect she was having an affair which leads to interesting events. Worth a watch.....7/10.

Have been watching the Star Wars sequel trilogy over the past few nights.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

9/10

Love this! Saw it at the cinema twice and have seen it many times at home since. Can absolutely see the criticisms of it being derivative/a pastiche/a 'copy', but I also don't care. The new characters are great and I totally invested in them. Great fun. Wept a bit at the obvious point.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

8/10

Saw this in the cinema once but a few times since. First thought it might have been a 6/10, then wavered between that and an 7/10. However, saw it in a new light tonight for some reason and realised that it's excellent. The daft Leia bit remains daft, the whole Canto Blight shit could have been canned and DJ is a poor and unnecessary character, but it's very solid and dares to be different.

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker

8/10

Strangely this was the first time I'd seen it since I watched it in the cinema. Unsure why I waited so long. I think it's great. Again, can see the criticisms and totally get them, but, again, don't care. I was absolutely drawn in and engaged.

I'm going through one of those weird emotional weeks where daft things can bring a tear or a laugh, so I was weeping and braying with laughter throughout.

I had just finished playing Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic 1 and 2 before watching these films. I don't know if the sequel trilogy directors have played those games, but they provide so many explanations for the films. Genuinely, it's as if they are companion pieces. I'd urge people to play them then the films.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

9/10

8/10

8/10

You're going to be raging when you realise you've slipped through into the dimension where they were all shit.

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

You're going to be raging when you realise you've slipped through into the dimension where they were all shit.

Your faith in your friends is yours!

Have been watching the Star Wars sequel trilogy over the past few nights.
9/10
Love this! Saw it at the cinema twice and have seen it many times at home since. Can absolutely see the criticisms of it being derivative/a pastiche/a 'copy', but I also don't care. The new characters are great and I totally invested in them. Great fun. Wept a bit at the obvious point.
8/10
Saw this in the cinema once but a few times since. First thought it might have been a 6/10, then wavered between that and an 7/10. However, saw it in a new light tonight for some reason and realised that it's excellent. The daft Leia bit remains daft, the whole Canto Blight shit could have been canned and DJ is a poor and unnecessary character, but it's very solid and dares to be different.

8/10
Strangely this was the first time I'd seen it since I watched it in the cinema. Unsure why I waited so long. I think it's great. Again, can see the criticisms and totally get them, but, again, don't care. I was absolutely drawn in and engaged.
I'm going through one of those weird emotional weeks where daft things can bring a tear or a laugh, so I was weeping and braying with laughter throughout.

I had just finished playing Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic 1 and 2 before watching these films. I don't know if the sequel trilogy directors have played those games, but they provide so many explanations for the films. Genuinely, it's as if they are companion pieces. I'd urge people to play them then the films.
I liked the Force Awakens but its a 7.5/10 at best and the other two were probably tied for worst entries in the franchise.

I appreciate they tried to go outside the formula for The Last Jedi but i just dont think it worked at all and it's not a great watch. The less said about the last one the better.

Totally agree about Knights of the Old Republic though, fantastic games and excellent stories. I played The Old Republic MMO for a while too which was decent but repetitive (like all MMOs)

23 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I liked the Force Awakens but its a 7.5/10 at best and the other two were probably tied for worst entries in the franchise.

I appreciate they tried to go outside the formula for The Last Jedi but i just dont think it worked at all and it's not a great watch. The less said about the last one the better.

Totally agree about Knights of the Old Republic though, fantastic games and excellent stories. I played The Old Republic MMO for a while too which was decent but repetitive (like all MMOs)

Nah, the prequel trilogy are easily the worst films in the franchise. By far. By so far.

AOTC is the worst of the entire franchise, with ROTS second worse. TPM is, considerably, the best of the prequels.

Nah, the prequel trilogy are easily the worst films in the franchise. By far. By so far.
AOTC is the worst of the entire franchise, with ROTS second worse. TPM is, considerably, the best of the prequels.
Lets agree to disagree on the prequels v sequels but i forgot the real worst entry in the franchise.

I watched The Clone Wars movie recently with my nephew and it was absolutely abysmal, bordering on unwatchable. Apparently the series is pretty good though.

I'm nostalgic for those halcyon days when Attack of the Clones was sure to be the worst film to be released under the Star Wars banner. Like when we all used to laugh about George W. Bush being the worst American president.

...God, everything is shit.