What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

22 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
10 hours ago, 101 said:
First trip back to the cinema to see Just Mercy which I missed in January. Excellent film particularly with the BLM backdrop at the moment. A very strong 8.5/10

What was the cinema like?

It was really well managed, the screen I was in only had one aisle so every household was in seats either side of the stairs with the row in front of them and behind them empty, the doors out the cinema were open so there was air constantly circulating. Didn't feel too weird and you could demask once the film started

It was really well managed, the screen I was in only had one aisle so every household was in seats either side of the stairs with the row in front of them and behind them empty, the doors out the cinema were open so there was air constantly circulating. Didn't feel too weird and you could demask once the film started
The spacing sounds nice. If only evidence appeared that forced them to not allow food and make masks compulsory throughout.

Watched Manhunter the other day after recording it on Sky movies, must be about 25 years since I last saw the first 'Hannibal Lecktor' film (that's how his name is spelled in the credits of this film)

Hard to believe it was 1986 this film was made, you can see and hear Michael Mann's influence all over it, especially with the musical score, lots of moody synthesizers in the background at dramatic parts, not too dissimilar to his other famous project then, Miami Vice.

Dundee's very own Brian Cox was the original Hannibal here, before Anthony Hopkins got the gig a few years later and is excellent, alongside William Peterson as agent Will Graham who went  on to star in CSI Las Vegas, the late great Dennis Farina too as FBI chief Jack Crawford. 

Edward Norton and Harvey Keitel played the parts of Graham and Crawford in the remake of the film, Red Dragon, about ten years ago which, incidentally was the original title of the 1986 version before a last minute change, first ive noticed how, even for a remake it is virtually identical, even some of the dialogue is word for word the same, most 'remakes' tweak a few things here and there but, aside from a new cast, hardly anything different about the remake.

I prefer the original from 1986, but I am a bit of an 80's nostalgia freak having grown up in that decade. 

8 out of 10, superb film. 

Manhunter's one of the Eightiest films I've ever seen, man! Not sure where you're coming from with that.

Brian Cox plays Hannibal as more human; Tony Hopkins obviously knew what would get the bums on seats, playing him as an unknowable, inhuman monster. I doubt Silence of the Lambs would have been as successful if they'd kept Brian Cox on, as good as he is in everything.

IIRC, Hannibal isn't in the Red Dragon book a whole lot, but they knew their audience when they made the namesake film. There are a few extra scenes with him in to keep the Silence fans happy, although he apparently lost a shedload of weight and a decade of age by the time Silence came around, which they imply took place immediately after Red Dragon  :lol:

They're both good films, but Red Dragon panders a lot. Cracking cast, though. Ralph Fiennes does a cracking job with Dollarhyde.

Watched The Vacation featuring Nicole Applegate and Andy Bernard from the American office On Netflix the other night and found it absolutely hilarious. Might have been because I was in a particularly daft mood though.

9 hours ago, accies1874 said:
12 hours ago, 101 said:

The spacing sounds nice. If only evidence appeared that forced them to not allow food and make masks compulsory throughout.

I agree still had the usual folk with huge tubs of popcorn and gallons of juice. One good thing I forgot to say was one of the cinema staff comes in at the end to let you out row by row so folk don't leave their rubbish either.

11 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Watched Manhunter the other day after recording it on Sky movies, must be about 25 years since I last saw the first 'Hannibal Lecktor' film (that's how his name is spelled in the credits of this film)

Hard to believe it was 1986 this film was made, you can see and hear Michael Mann's influence all over it, especially with the musical score, lots of moody synthesizers in the background at dramatic parts, not too dissimilar to his other famous project then, Miami Vice.

Dundee's very own Brian Cox was the original Hannibal here, before Anthony Hopkins got the gig a few years later and is excellent, alongside William Peterson as agent Will Graham who went  on to star in CSI Las Vegas, the late great Dennis Farina too as FBI chief Jack Crawford. 

Edward Norton and Harvey Keitel played the parts of Graham and Crawford in the remake of the film, Red Dragon, about ten years ago which, incidentally was the original title of the 1986 version before a last minute change, first ive noticed how, even for a remake it is virtually identical, even some of the dialogue is word for word the same, most 'remakes' tweak a few things here and there but, aside from a new cast, hardly anything different about the remake.

I prefer the original from 1986, but I am a bit of an 80's nostalgia freak having grown up in that decade. 

8 out of 10, superb film. 

10 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Manhunter's one of the Eightiest films I've ever seen, man! Not sure where you're coming from with that.

Brian Cox plays Hannibal as more human; Tony Hopkins obviously knew what would get the bums on seats, playing him as an unknowable, inhuman monster. I doubt Silence of the Lambs would have been as successful if they'd kept Brian Cox on, as good as he is in everything.

IIRC, Hannibal isn't in the Red Dragon book a whole lot, but they knew their audience when they made the namesake film. There are a few extra scenes with him in to keep the Silence fans happy, although he apparently lost a shedload of weight and a decade of age by the time Silence came around, which they imply took place immediately after Red Dragon  :lol:

They're both good films, but Red Dragon panders a lot. Cracking cast, though. Ralph Fiennes does a cracking job with Dollarhyde.

Love Manhunter - one of my favourite films - that In-a-Gada-da-Vida scene whether Dollarhyde bursts through the door is incredible. 

Red Dragon has its moments, but it's flawed - Hopkins is too old to play the role, and overdoes it, but it allowed him to complete the trilogy - Cox's 'Lektor' is about perfect. 

I knew a PhD film student who thought Manhunter was pish - Miami Vice with cannibals!

What the f**k do film students know?

I love it. 

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
Not quite as good as I was expecting. Certainly strong performances from the main characters Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell but it's supposed to be a dark comedy and I found it all very grim with maybe a couple of mildly amusing scenes. Also thought Rockwell's character Dixon was so over the top in his attitudes it was hard to believe his transformation.
7/10

1 hour ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
Not quite as good as I was expecting. Certainly strong performances from the main characters Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell but it's supposed to be a dark comedy and I found it all very grim with maybe a couple of mildly amusing scenes. Also thought Rockwell's character Dixon was so over the top in his attitudes it was hard to believe his transformation.
7/10

Mrs MSU felt pretty much the same about the Rockwell character.

Love & Mercy (2015)

A biopic of Brian Wilson's struggles with addiction and mental health.

Also the powerful hold that his therapist Eugene Landy had over Wilson's life.

Paul Dano is really great as the young 1960's Wilson and John Cusack is excellent as the later Wilson in the 1980's.

The film flips back & forth, it's definitely told through the eyes of his future wife Melinda, who Wilson meets in the 1980's and who helps him rebuild his life.

The power that Landy held over him was shocking, even to the extent he was co-writing songs, over-medicating him & bleeding Wilson dry.

A cracking, emotional movie 8/10

49 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Love & Mercy (2015)

A biopic of Brian Wilson's struggles with addiction and mental health.

Also the powerful hold that his therapist Eugene Landy had over Wilson's life.

Paul Dano is really great as the young 1960's Wilson and John Cusack is excellent as the later Wilson in the 1980's.

The film flips back & forth, it's definitely told through the eyes of his future wife Melinda, who Wilson meets in the 1980's and who helps him rebuild his life.

The power that Landy held over him was shocking, even to the extent he was co-writing songs, over-medicating him & bleeding Wilson dry.

A cracking, emotional movie 8/10

I read Wilson's book - I think it was called 'Wouldn't it be Nice?' - he talked in some detail about his overbearing father - Brian never seems to have had it easy.  :(

4 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I read Wilson's book - I think it was called 'Wouldn't it be Nice?' - he talked in some detail about his overbearing father - Brian never seems to have had it easy.  :(

Yes, Murry Wilson was pretty controlling. Used to beat his sons too.

Watching that movie, Eugene Landy seemed to kind of take over that role.