What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

The brother of the friend asks the friend of the brother who is also the friend's brother's brother's friend.   Eh.  I'm confused.  Can you do a wee diagram? 🙂

The brother of the brother is also the brother and he's the brother that asked him. Keep up.

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

You're welcome. Now go kill Bono. Or have your brother do it.

Can't do that.

He is my brother in law's friend's brother's friend or is that brother in law's friend's friend's brother.

At any rate my sister met him once at a wedding a long time ago.   True.

However, she is no longer married to Bono's brother's friend's brother's friend so I guess that is okay now.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - Tobe Hooper's original shocker about the love between a man and his gas-powered tools.

People always seem a bit surprised by this film, as it doesn't bear much comparison to the films that it inspired in the following decades. It's a weird, goofy, virtually bloodless affair that still manages to be quite unpleasant and rattles off a couple of jarringly nasty scenes of violence, all the more effective by their scarcity. Plenty of flaws, as would be expected from such a low-budget pioneer, but more interesting than many a gorefest.

BigFatTabbyBoy: "Alright, considering it's old"

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning - prequel to the Michael Bay-produced remake.

Better than it had any right to be, considering an origin story for a hick cannibal tribe probably isn't the most necessary thing in the world, but it manages to be entertaining enough (if you like grimy, grisly horror), helped ably by R. Lee Ermey expanding on his character and Leatherface being mainly left as a brooding background presence. Falls into the trap of having to explain everything from the previous film in a short span, despite them being several years apart, but otherwise I'd say it's worth watching if you liked its sequel.

BigFatTabbyBoy was quite intrigued as to how Leatherface's family ended up the way they were, so this was right up his alley. Possibly enjoyed it more than the other film.

Don't Breathe - trio of young thieves fall into the trap of the cliched "one last big job", in this case robbing an old blind man. Hijinx ensue, as they bite off more than they can chew.

This is a really decent wee thriller, which builds tension well and makes the audience unsure about who to root for. Gradually descends into horror territory and is nasty enough that a happy ending for anyone never seems guaranteed. They did a good job.

BigFatTabbyBoy enjoyed it too, and was quite scathing about the morality of the characters. He wanted the dog to win  :P

The green mile. Hadn’t seen it for years and had forgotten just how good a film it was. Outstanding

Probably in my Top 5. A masterpiece. An incredible cast helps it on it's way. Has the right mix of humour, sadness and joy for me. Used to hate the ending because of the death but when that's because it seemed to take me an age to listen that he wanted to die.

I have never watched Cider House Rules but assume Michael Caine was outstanding to have beaten Michael Clarke Duncan to the Oscar.

Killing Bono
7/10
Based on a true story. An Irish lad and his school friend both form bands. The brother of the first lad is going to join the band of the friend until his brother (who is the first lad) asks the friend to refuse so that the brother can join his (his brother's) band.
The friend is Bono and his band become U2. The brothers form their own band, with the brother who nearly joined U2 unaware that his brother stopped it happening. 
The brothers struggle with their own careers in music all whilst watching U2 become one of the biggest bands in the world.
An amusing film well worth a watch.

I started to watch this years ago. Not sure if this snippet of useless info. is from the film or if I picked it up elsewhere but said brother (the brother of the brother that started his own band) is unofficially the 5th member of U2. He helps out on stage on tour apparently. Obviously he isn't known like the other 4 but I expect he's comfortable enough.

Don't Breathe - trio of young thieves fall into the trap of the cliched "one last big job", in this case robbing an old blind man. Hijinx ensue, as they bite off more than they can chew.
This is a really decent wee thriller, which builds tension well and makes the audience unsure about who to root for. Gradually descends into horror territory and is nasty enough that a happy ending for anyone never seems guaranteed. They did a good job.
BigFatTabbyBoy enjoyed it too, and was quite scathing about the morality of the characters. He wanted the dog to win  [emoji14]

That turkey baster scene though...

Commando- Big Arnie kills loads of folks in order to save his wee lassie. Completely ridiculous but very watchable  pish after a few beers on a Saturday night eve,n if you know the words of by heart ( another movie where the bad guys are all awful shots) 7/10

Edited by stanton

12 hours ago, stanton said:

Commando- Big Arnie kills loads of folks in order to save his wee lassie. Completely ridiculous but very watchable  pish after a few beers on a Saturday night eve,n if you know the words of by heart ( another movie where the bad guys are all awful shots) 7/10

A glorious movie. Ludicrously over the top, camp bad guy and plenty of fantastic one liners from the big lad.

The Equalizer 2

8/10.

Came out on Netflix on Friday.

Denzel Washington punches f**k out of a load of folk. Then some more folk. Some guys try to punch f**k out of Denzel so he punches f**k out of them instead.

Edited by DA Baracus

The Journey - a fictionalised account of when Martin McGuiness and Ian Paisley shared a car to the airport after the meeting at St Andrews that paved the way for the power sharing agreement.

As said I'm pretty sure there's little if anything factual about the conversations that took place in the film but given how basic the premise sounds it's still a decent watch. Colm Meaney and Timothy Spall play the two politicians and it's the performances of the two that is the main attraction of it.

Several random Game of Thrones actors being in it took me out of it a little bit especially the actor who played Meryn 'Fucking' Trant playing Gerry Adams.
😂

Took a notion for watching Gladiator (2000) tonight, brilliant acting throughout (although Crowe's "father to a murdered...etc" speech seems a bit corny now).

Brilliant how Tommy Flanagan goes from his normal speaking voice (a la SoA) to something  very affected when he reappears towards the end.

Tony Curran makes a fleeting appearance as one of the cohorts ordered to execute Maximus near the beginning.

59 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

The Journey - a fictionalised account of when Martin McGuiness and Ian Paisley shared a car to the airport after the meeting at St Andrews that paved the way for the power sharing agreement.

As said I'm pretty sure there's little if anything factual about the conversations that took place in the film but given how basic the premise sounds it's still a decent watch. Colm Meaney and Timothy Spall play the two politicians and it's the performances of the two that is the main attraction of it.

Several random Game of Thrones actors being in it took me out of it a little bit especially the actor who played Meryn 'Fucking' Trant playing Gerry Adams.
😂

Absolutely loved that movie. 
One of those movies though that the producers had absolutely no clue about the direction of travel. You do not pass Edinburgh airport heading towards the city centre and then stop for a break at South Queensferry!

2 hours ago, supermik said:

One of those movies though that the producers had absolutely no clue about the direction of travel. You do not pass Edinburgh airport heading towards the city centre and then stop for a break at South Queensferry!

Film makers do that all the time.  In the film Local Hero the characters drive along the B862 from Inverness to Fort Augustus in order to Pennan in Aberdeenshire.

In Loch Ness, you take a bus more than halfway to Gairloch to get from Inverness to Loch Ness itself.

6 hours ago, supermik said:

Absolutely loved that movie. 

Yeah and didn’t it have them leave the motorway for flooding and go through some random park that I’m not sure exists. Pentland  Hills Park or something like that?

4 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Film makers do that all the time.  In the film Local Hero the characters drive along the B862 from Inverness to Fort Augustus in order to Pennan in Aberdeenshire.

In Loch Ness, you take a bus more than halfway to Gairloch to get from Inverness to Loch Ness itself.

Eurovision - The Story of Fire Saga has the Hydro in Edinburgh.

The Old Guard 7/10

Fairly decent couple of hours. Charlie Theron leads of group of 4 'immortal' mercaneries who live in fear of being of exposed.

A few bits felt a wee bit off and the main 'villain' was abit shit and cliched but still enjoyable enough. Set up for future sequal(s).