Rugster

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Blue Ruin (2013)

Low budget revenge thriller with a bit of a Coen Brothers feel to it. Seen this quite a few times, just love the tone and the tension throughout.

9/10

Movie 17 (Kid #1) -- Central Intelligence 6.5/10. Probably would've enjoyed this more had I not watched it a few weeks ago. Perfectly watchable still, but I feel I know the script as well as anyone in the movie at this point.
Tbh, you'd know the script even if you hadn't just watched it. Kevin Hart playing the same character he always plays. An enjoyable watch but I feel all his films just blend into one for me.

2 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:
11 hours ago, MSU said:
Movie 17 (Kid #1) -- Central Intelligence 6.5/10. Probably would've enjoyed this more had I not watched it a few weeks ago. Perfectly watchable still, but I feel I know the script as well as anyone in the movie at this point.

Tbh, you'd know the script even if you hadn't just watched it. Kevin Hart playing the same character he always plays. An enjoyable watch but I feel all his films just blend into one for me.

I absolutely agree. I became convinced that I'd posted on here about it before and because I have nothing else to do, I trawled through my old posts and eventually found it. Your summary pretty much matches up with what I thought two years ago.

Blue Ruin (2013)
Low budget revenge thriller with a bit of a Coen Brothers feel to it. Seen this quite a few times, just love the tone and the tension throughout.
9/10
It's brilliant. The first 20/25 minutes is one of my all-time favourite openings - pretty sure there's almost no dialogue.

The Untouchables. Bears up pretty well considering it's over thirty years old. Accent aside*, Connery is outstanding, and De Niro plays himself as well as he ever has.

* Why does everyone bring up this particular minor example of inappropriate accent, and leave Brad Pitt alone for that abomination in "Basterds"?

On 30/03/2020 at 12:16, RandomGuy. said:

Trying to convince my wife to watch all the LOTR extended editions over the next week.

She said yes.

Then asked how long the first one was.

Dis gunna b gud.

Fellowship done.

Added scenes really do enhance everything, and Boromir comes off a lot better due to it. 

Still a tremendous film.

Underwater 5/10

Tries to be The Abyss, Alien, The Meg etc all rolled together and fails. Plus the sound is a bit iffy

Finding The Way Back 7.5/10

Ben Affleck plays a former high school superstar basketball player who throws it all away and ends up turning into an alcoholic after the death of his child and marriage break up. He then is asked to coach his former high school team (who just happen to be rank) and turn them back into contenders. Affleck obviously using his own addictions as a guide

Sorry We Missed You 5/10

Film from social commentator and all round good guy Ken Loach about the perils of self employment and labour exploitation. A tough watch at times but not a patch on 'I Am Daniel Blake'

Official Secrets. Keira Knightley stars as Katherine Gunn, GCHQ whistleblower. Worth a watch, if only to remind ourselves what a set of lying c***s were in charge here and in the U.S.at the time.

Casablanca , another B&W classic on TCM this afternoon 

Ocean's 12. Fine diverting stuff. Lovely European setting, utterly untaxing viewing. Don Cheadle is doing the accent of a white EastEnder instead of a black Londoner which is very odd but he has about 6 lines in the whole film so I can forgive him.

6/10

Movie 18 (Kid #2) -- Shrek 7/10.  Of course it's a good movie but I've seen it so often that I focus on Mike Meyers shite Scottish accent. Got caught up with Words With Friends, tho.

Cool Hand Luke (1967)

One of my favourite movies, big George Kennedy's finest hour as 'Dragline'.

Just brilliant 10/10

Movie 19 (Me) -- Tremors 7/10. I was sure I was going to go for Jaws tonight but changed my mind at the last minute. I have fond memories of this movie when it came out and it one of those that if I'm channel-hopping and happen upon it, I'm likely to watch to the end. It has aged much better than I had any reason to expect. Still funny and gave the kids a few jump scares and the urge to pull their feet from the floor at several points. "Run, Kevin Bacon. Run" was the cry from MSU Towers.

Toy Story 4
The poorest of the Toy Story franchise in my opinion. The fork was a wee dick! The bairn enjoyed it though.
5/10

Holmes and Watson
Absolutely fucking atrocious. I lasted 45 minutes before turning it off. 45 minutes of my life I won’t ever get back
0/10

Rocketman
2nd time Iv seen this, cracking film with Taron Egerton stealing the show. Elton really did have some superb tunes
9/10

Salt -  With Angeline Jolie & Liv Schrieber   Predictable  high tempo stuff  but enjoyable enough especially after after a few beers and some wine 

The Kill Team

US soldier in Afghanistan struggles with his conscience and his sergeant and fellow troops who are executing innocent locals for no good reason..............7/10.

I watched Attack of the Clones tonight

2/10

Two good scenes. Obi Wan's scene on Kamino is entertaining enough and his chase of Jango. Actually that storyline is probably the only positive in this movie. Why does everyone in these movies sound like they're on Xanax?

Movie 20 (Missus) -- Onward 6/10. Lackluster Pixar fayre that has the confusing scenario of mythical creatures living in contemporary times, eg the elves have phones and sat nav. Basic premise is two elf brothers, the younger of which never knew his dad before he died, on a mystical quest to re-animate the dad until the sun goes down tomorrow. Best bit was being able to regale my American family with "She turned the kids against me" gag towards the emotional finale. 

Little Caesar (1931)

The film that kick started the gangster movie genre, Edward G Robinson is Rico Bandello aka Little Caesar, who ruthlessly works his way from robbing petrol stations all the way up the mobster ladder in Chicago. Loosely based on Al Capone, it's 76 minutes of sharp suits, cigars, great one-liners, & violence.

A classic movie 10/10

Pacific Rim Uprising.

Quite enjoyed the first one but this was woeful, just woeful.