What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Irresistible

Jon Stewart written and directed political satire. A small town mayoral election ends up having two heavyweight (Steve Carell & Rose Byrne) PR campaigners back the local candidates. Short and sweet film. 90 minutes well spent.

7.5/10 

Euro vision is 2 hours of utterly glorious nonsense. Especially love Ding Dong, I want it played at my wedding.
I googled it in case it was a real Icelandic folk song! Made me want to pay attention to eurovision next time round tbh.

Ran

1354287836_MV5BMmVjY2Q5YjctYzg4NS00N2JhLTk2ZmItZWQwZDhjODViNWU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR045480270_AL_UX477_CR00477268_AL_.jpg.93b5383f086757dc2392a8c5a6e6185d.jpg

Inspired by @Shandon Par avatar, I decided to give Ran a watch for the first time in well over a decade.

This epic is set in feudal Japan. An aging warlord abdicates and divides his territory between his three sons. This creates a bit of a power vacuum and before you know it loads of samurai are fighting like f**k.

It's supposedly based upon King Lear, but I've never seen it or read it so I can't really comment.

It's long and slow moving but is a joy to watch. The visuals are stunning and the set piece battles are spectacular. 

My only complaint is that the main character could move far too quickly for a septuagenarian.

9/10

On 31/12/2014 at 17:47, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The Taking of Deborah Logan - found-footage film about documentary makers recording the day-to-day life of a woman suffering from dementia. As time goes on, it starts to seem as though her illness is bringing up some grim memories from her past, and is possibly inspired by the supernatural.

Decent film, and makes a good job of keeping you interested in the mystery. Also provides some unsettling moments, including a REC-style night vision headscratcher towards the end. Essential viewing for fans of the genre, and worthwhile for horror fans in general. Thanks to NewDomDom for the recommendation!

Saw this again last night, as BigFatTabbyBoy hadn't seen it. I still liked it; so did he, until the supernatural aspects kicked in. Apparently he was just interested in the idea of Alzheimer's. We've agreed that I go into a home if that ever kicks in; nobody deserves to have to deal with that happening to a parent.

11 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Ran

1354287836_MV5BMmVjY2Q5YjctYzg4NS00N2JhLTk2ZmItZWQwZDhjODViNWU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR045480270_AL_UX477_CR00477268_AL_.jpg.93b5383f086757dc2392a8c5a6e6185d.jpg

Inspired by @Shandon Par avatar, I decided to give Ran a watch for the first time in well over a decade.

This epic is set in feudal Japan. An aging warlord abdicates and divides his territory between his three sons. This creates a bit of a power vacuum and before you know it loads of samurai are fighting like f**k.

It's supposedly based upon King Lear, but I've never seen it or read it so I can't really comment.

It's long and slow moving but is a joy to watch. The visuals are stunning and the set piece battles are spectacular. 

My only complaint is that the main character could move far too quickly for a septuagenarian.

9/10

The battle scenes reminded me of the giant scraps between Oakley and The Toon at high school. 

We're the Millers (Amazon Prime)

Thought I had already seen this but I must have just seen the trailer a million times when it came out.

Some really funny bits, some cringey bits and the cast are all solid. What more do you want?*

*Yes, Jennifer Aniston.

Interzone

Crappy Mad Max clone set in a post-apocalyptic future where as musclebound female (Teaan Clive) and her gang of cutthroats want to destroy the last safe place in the world. A lone warrior played by the guy who wasn't Jeffrey Combs in Re-Animator and an Asian monk named Panasonic have to put a stop to her plans.

It's basically dreadful and cheap with some the worst ADR mix I've heard since Birdemic. Roughly 50% can't be heard over the music.

Still a good laugh at 8:30am in the morning.

5/10

Lovebirds -- Issa Rae and Kumail Nanjiani are a couple on the verge of splitting up when they accidentally become part of a bizarre murder plot, on the run from the cops and trying to solve the mystery to clear their names. It's a movie we've all seen a hundred times. Despite the by the numbers plot and there being nothing the least bit surprising about any of it, it was fun and the two leads bounced off each other with quirky dialog that I'm sure will bug the absolute f**k out of some people. 

Moon (2009)

Seen this a few times but never fails to entertain. Directed by Duncan Jones it's pretty low budget which actually helps to give you that feeling of isolation that Sam Bell, played by Sam Rockwell, has endured on his 3 year stint on the Moon mining a valuable resource to help with Earth's power problems. Near the end of his stint Sam has an accident and there's a big twist after that which raises the tension and Sam's self awareness kicks in. The intelligent onboard computer GERTY has some great lines as well and you can see that Jones has been influenced by sci-fi classics like 2001, Silent Running and even Alien.

8.5/10

School for Sex

A weird British sexploitation film from 1969 by Pete Walker who made the pretty decent Psycho a few years later. It basically breaks down to a posh white guy staring at boobs with a shocked look on his face. As if the BBC World Service did a 1960's Babestation.

2/10

Marvellous (2014)

Caught this true story on BBC iPlayer about the amazing life of Neil Baldwin who despite having learning difficulties has become a legend at Stoke City and Keele University. Toby Jones plays him so well as he just blags himself into jobs and talking to celebrities. A devoted fan of Stoke City he turned up the day Lou Macari was appointed manager and ended up getting job as kit man. Macari liked him so much he even gave him a game near the end of a testimonial match. Previously he had worked as a clown at the circus and he also liked the setting of Keele University so much he would turn up every day just chatting to students including Malcolm Clarke played by, Gary Tank Commander, who would become his best friend. Great watch and nice cameos from Lou Macari , Gary Linneker, Neil himself talking to Toby Jones, in his character, and footage of him receiving an honorary degree from the University in 2013.

Well worth a watch.

8/10

Marvellous (2014)
Caught this true story on BBC iPlayer about the amazing life of Neil Baldwin who despite having learning difficulties has become a legend at Stoke City and Keele University. Toby Jones plays him so well as he just blags himself into jobs and talking to celebrities. A devoted fan of Stoke City he turned up the day Lou Macari was appointed manager and ended up getting job as kit man. Macari liked him so much he even gave him a game near the end of a testimonial match. Previously he had worked as a clown at the circus and he also liked the setting of Keele University so much he would turn up every day just chatting to students including Malcolm Clarke played by, Gary Tank Commander, who would become his best friend. Great watch and nice cameos from Lou Macari , Gary Linneker, Neil himself talking to Toby Jones, in his character, and footage of him receiving an honorary degree from the University in 2013.
Well worth a watch.
8/10
Saw this at the time when it was on telly. Loved it. Macari dedicates a good few pages to him in his autobiography as well I'm sure. It's also available on Prime.