What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Wasp Machine. 5/10

About the Cuban Revolution, or the prelude to it, or something. Did an awful job of explaining what exactly was going on and who was who, so I'm non the wiser to the events.
1 point awarded for Penelope Cruz
4 awarded for Ana de Armas who is an exceptionally beautiful lady and whos topless scene will live with me for a long time. A gift the whole world should embrace.

The Wasp Machine. 5/10

About the Cuban Revolution, or the prelude to it, or something. Did an awful job of explaining what exactly was going on and who was who, so I'm non the wiser to the events.
4 awarded for Ana de Armas who is an exceptionally beautiful lady and whos topless scene will live with me for a long time. A gift the whole world should embrace.
Ana De Armas is unbelievable. Knock Knock is worth a watch as well. It's unintentionally hilarious and she gets them out in it.

Extremely Wicked
Zac Efron does a good job portraying the story of Ted Bundy. Could have given more background about the crimes but it was more directed towards the whole court proceedings and how he practically defended himself most of the time. Not the best thing I've ever watched but interesting enough to keep me off my phone.

Color Out of Space - Lovecraft adaptation about an isolated family who struggle with the changes in their environment once a meteor lands on their property.

Every now and then I'll see a film (Gaspar Noe's Enter the Void springs to mind) that really seems like it would've been a passive cinema experience - something to watch on a big screen, without distraction, and let it wash over me without active thought about what's going on. This is definitely one of those; a strikingly colourful, meandering experience in which an unknowable force affects the world and living creatures around it just by its presence. There's a heated, confused, unfocused insanity to the whole affair, which suits Nicolas Cage perfectly, putting in a surprisingly restrained (but still batshit) performance as a man struggling to cope with his own thoughts and actions.

Richard Stanley, of Hardware fame, was behind the whole thing, in his first feature film in more than twenty years. It's a worthy comeback, occasionally echoing films like John Carpenter's The Thing and Annihilation, more due to the source material having influenced those films than anything else. Apparently he's interested in adapting more Lovecraft, and I'd certainly be interested to see that.

Couldn't interest BigFatTabbyBoy in this one, alas. Cosmic horror doesn't seem to be his bag.

1917 - after a German withdrawal during World War One, two British soldiers must cross no man's land and travel to the new front line to stop an offensive push that will result in slaughter.

I'd no idea this was a one-shot film, and it's very impressively done, as the technique does a brilliant job of bringing urgency to the story. The plot is slight, but doesn't require to be anything but, as it acts as a brief tour of the fetid, stinking, inhuman hellscape that World War One provided for a generation of Europeans. There's no happy ending to this story, and it's quite apparent that, even if our heroes succeed in their mission, it will accomplish nothing more than a brief reprieve from the clutches of death, which stalks the trenches with menacing inevitability.

BigFatTabbyBoy is interested in war at the moment, and wanted to see this. He seemed really engaged and interested; we talked more about the war than the film itself, but it definitely hit home.

On 21/06/2020 at 19:27, Stellaboz said:

The Wasp Machine. 5/10

What he said. ^^^

Nice to see Pablo Escobar (from Narcos) again too. Bit of a shambles. It's as if the editors never watched the final film. 

This Revisionist History episode covers some of what went on:

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/41-the-queen-of-cuba

Good Vibrations

BBC iplayer

A bit like an inferior version of 24 Hour Party People but set in Belfast during the troubles. Centres on a record store boss with an eye for talent but not a head for business. Ran out of steam a bit but if you like a cheery film with lots of music it passes the time. 

6/10

On 24/06/2020 at 15:27, Shandon Par said:

Good Vibrations

BBC iplayer

A bit like an inferior version of 24 Hour Party People but set in Belfast during the troubles. Centres on a record store boss with an eye for talent but not a head for business. Ran out of steam a bit but if you like a cheery film with lots of music it passes the time. 

6/10

Eye for talent?  Not sure if that is in good taste or not.  🙂

Enjoyed the Undertones appearance.  They found a looky likey for Feargal Sharkey but didn't bother so much with the rest.

Also an appearance by the current Doctor Who.

21 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Eye for talent?  Not sure if that is in good taste or not.  🙂

Enjoyed the Undertones appearance.  They found a looky likey for Feargal Sharkey but didn't bother so much with the rest.

Also an appearance by the current Doctor Who.

Oh I forgot about what happened at the start!

Yes, the young Fergal Sharkey was a good bit of casting. 

Hobbs and Shaw

Possibly the biggest piece of nonsense I've ever seen. The fucking audacity of how ludicrous it is should be admired.

It's genuinely daring in how astonishingly stupid it is. It breaks new ground in the field of nonsense.

Of course this makes it an exception watch. One of the funniest films I've seen in a long time and any film with The Rock and Jason Statham is a winner. Idris Elba excels as a guy who doesn't so much chew the scenery as gorge upon it. Vanessa Kirby is exceptionally attractive and also a very talented actor.

Throw in brilliant cameos from Kevin Hart and Ryan Reynolds (and Roman Reigns!) and you have what is close to a masterpiece.

Oh, and for some reason Glasgow city centre stands in for London during a car chase.

9/10

Edited by DA Baracus

What Dreams May Come

9/10

An absolutely beautiful film. The colours are gorgeous. It's a stunning film visually.

Robin Williams plays a man who is killed and then goes to heaven. Sadly his wife kills herself and he must save her from hell.

That massively simplifies things but to say more would be a huge spoiler.

Incredible film. Be prepared to sob and laugh and laugh-sob. Emotionally fulfilling. Just lovely.

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Hobbs and Shaw

Possibly the biggest piece of nonsense I've ever seen. The fucking audacity of how ludicrous it is should be admired.

It's genuinely daring in how astonishingly stupid it is. It breaks new ground in the field of nonsense.

Of course this makes it an exception watch. One of the funniest films I've seen in a long time and any film with The Rock and Jason Statham is a winner. Idris Elba excels as a guy who doesn't so much chew the scenery as gorge upon it. Vanessa Kirby is exceptionally attractive and also a very talented actor.

Throw in brilliant cameos from Kevin Hart and Ryan Reynolds (and Roman Reigns!) and you have what is close to a masterpiece.

Oh, and for some reason Glasgow city centre stands in for London during a car chase.

9/10

It's utter nonsense but in the best possible way.

Eurovision story of fire saga- 4/10. If you want a comedy you don’t need to invest yourself in this is worth a watch on Netflix.Definitely too long at 2 hours but has a couple of laughs here and their certainly not Ferrells worst work but nowhere near his top stuff. If you are a Eurovision super fan there’s a lot of cameos to try and spot as well.

Last night I watched two 50s sci-fi movies, unusual in that neither was an allegory of the invasion of Communism as so many were at that time.

This Island Earth (1955) starred Rex Reason and Faith Domergue (yeah, I know) as two scientists hired by a mysterious chap who turns out to be an alien. He wants the Earthlings to develop a power source to assist the aliens in their war with a neighbouring planet.

For its time it has some good special effects (and some awful ones) and the rubber suited mutant is just laughable. Still, it was an enjoyable hour and a half.

Forbidden Planet (1956) is literally on another planet in terms of acting, special effects and budget, Leslie Nielsen in his first acting role,  Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis and Robby the Robot star in a movie loosely based on The Tempest and which clearly had an influence on Star Trek TOS. The animated effects and "electronic tonalities" are excellent throughout. The budget for the movie was just under $2M which was unheard of for a sci-fi movie at the time.

Eurovision story of fire saga- 4/10. If you want a comedy you don’t need to invest yourself in this is worth a watch on Netflix.Definitely too long at 2 hours but has a couple of laughs here and their certainly not Ferrells worst work but nowhere near his top stuff. If you are a Eurovision super fan there’s a lot of cameos to try and spot as well.

I enjoyed it for what it was. Some shite accents and yeah, a touch long but enough laughs, good glimpses of Edinburgh and a few banging tunes. Last one in particular was actually a very good song in its own right.

Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 - one of the rare sequels that has the original title as a suffix. Directly following on from the first film, our surviving heroine finds herself locked up in an asylum, the governor of which has a coincidental interest in the magic Cenobite box...

Some folk consider this the best of the series, but I'm not seeing it. We get to see the dimension that the Cenobites emerged from, and find out a wee bit more about their background, but it's all a bit drab and extremely cheap. There's even less plot this time around, an overwhelming feeling of "who cares?", and you could spend the entire thing wondering why things are happening and what the characters' motivations are. I seem to remember liking the third one more, purely because it was more entertaining (CD-player-mouth Cenobite!), but I guess we'll see.

BigFatTabbyBoy was also mystified by the plot & characters, and just seemed annoyed by the end.

Underwater - a deep-sea mining crew find themselves in a shitload of trouble when everything mysteriously starts to implode as their excavations have uncovered something unexpected.

This was alright, although it felt far too formulaic, and there wasn't a lot of surprise (except possibly for one big effects thing towards the end...but yeah, even then, you could've seen it coming). Decent cast, with some familiar faces doing as well as they could, and even Kristen Stewart wasn't quite her utterly wooden self, so kudos. Worth a watch if you fancy a bit of undersea sci-fi horror, just don't go in expecting too much.

Come Back To The 5 And Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982)

Robert Altman's film adaptation of the successful Broadway play about a bunch of die hard James Dean fans who meet up on the 20th anniversary of his death. Great performance by Sandy Dennis as the central character, Mona, whose perception of the last 20 years is a bit delusional. Old wounds and some secrets are revealed with the rest of the cast including Cher, Karen Black and Kathy Bates playing their parts well.

7/10

On 20/06/2020 at 04:21, tongue_tied_danny said:

Yeah, The Long Goodbye and Thieves Like Us are two that I have on DVD.

I really like Elliott Gould's flat in The Long Goodbye. It's in a complex called The High Tower in Hollywood.

690-Credit-David-Kubiczky.jpg

I would love to live there.

Emma Thompson also lived there in "Dead Again", a Kenneth Branagh film which Mrs Shotgun enjoys a lot more than I do.