What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Virus Tropical - 2017. Animated adaptation of a graphic novel about a young woman growing up in a dysfunctional middle class family in Ecuador and Colombia. Absolutely gorgeous animation style and wonderful voice acting. The plot is wafer thin and it trails off quite suddenly at the end but largely as it left you wanting more. Terrific watch 9/10

Days Of The Bagnold Summer

Simon Birds directing debut with Tansin Greig and Rob Brydon  in minor roles. Sullen metal head teenager is forced to spend the summer with his mum after a trip to his dads in Florida falls through. Decent first effort and worth spending 90 minutes on..........7/10.

The Blue Lamp (1950)

Classic London cop film about the every day routine of wise old cop PC George Dixon contrasted with naive rookie PC Andy Mitchell. A robbery goes wrong with tragic consequences but the police are steadfast in hunting down the culprit. Despite it being a serious drama there are also quite a few comic scenes especially involving children. The film was so successful it went on to inspire the making of Dixon Of Dock Green which ran from 1955 to 1976.

8/10

Edited by JustOneCornetto

Big Momma's House 2

I was cleaning out a cupboard earlier and I found a pirate DVD of this film that I vaguely remember getting from a mate around 15 years ago.

I never got round to watching it but I decided to stick it on tonight. I lasted about 15 minutes before switching it off. 

Unfunny crapola. 

0/10

36 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Big Momma's House 2

I was cleaning out a cupboard earlier and I found a pirate DVD of this film that I vaguely remember getting from a mate around 15 years ago.

I never got round to watching it but I decided to stick it on tonight. I lasted about 15 minutes before switching it off. 

Unfunny crapola. 

0/10

Better make a copy and pass it on. This sounds like the plot to The Ring 3.

Da 5 Bloods

Netflix. Feels a bit like Spike Lee had an idea what he wanted to say, a budget from Netflix, some actors and then off they went to Vietnam. It's a bit shambolic with maybe a few strands too many, like it needs a tighter bit of editing. The dialogue, especially the subtitled stuff, feels like it needed a bit more work. Still very decent and has some brutal footage and stills from the Vietnam war. 

The plot is that some black Vietman veterans go back to Vietnam to look for the remains of a lost comrade and also a load of gold. Lots of double-crossing, PTSD and black American history ensue. Flashback scenes have the modern day old actors in there. Cheap way to do it but works just fine. The aspect changes in the flashback scenes and does a good job of looking like original footage from the time. Lots of nods to other films - including a scene straight from Blazing Saddles and lots of Apocalypse Now. 

Delrory Lindo and or Chadwick Boseman could be up for some awards as both are exceptional here. Boseman so cool and understated and Lindo goes all out. 

It's a bit all over the place but none-the-worse for it. The music is amazing as you'd expect from Spike Lee, especially the Marvin Gaye acapella stuff that's almost like poetry over the top of some scenes. 

8/10

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Da 5 Bloods

Netflix. Feels a bit like Spike Lee had an idea what he wanted to say, a budget from Netflix, some actors and then off they went to Vietnam. It's a bit shambolic with maybe a few strands too many, like it needs a tighter bit of editing. The dialogue, especially the subtitled stuff, feels like it needed a bit more work. Still very decent and has some brutal footage and stills from the Vietnam war. 

The plot is that some black Vietman veterans go back to Vietnam to look for the remains of a lost comrade and also a load of gold. Lots of double-crossing, PTSD and black American history ensue. Flashback scenes have the modern day old actors in there. Cheap way to do it but works just fine. The aspect changes in the flashback scenes and does a good job of looking like original footage from the time. Lots of nods to other films - including a scene straight from Blazing Saddles and lots of Apocalypse Now. 

Delrory Lindo and or Chadwick Boseman could be up for some awards as both are exceptional here. Boseman so cool and understated and Lindo goes all out. 

It's a bit all over the place but none-the-worse for it. The music is amazing as you'd expect from Spike Lee, especially the Marvin Gaye acapella stuff that's almost like poetry over the top of some scenes. 

8/10

Highlight was Isiah Whitlock Jr 's trademark "shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit" !

Lee is such a frustrating filmmaker, this is his best since Do The Right Thing. The scatter shot approach worked for me.

4 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Highlight was Isiah Whitlock Jr 's trademark "shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit" !

Lee is such a frustrating filmmaker, this is his best since Do The Right Thing. The scatter shot approach worked for me.

That's the perfect way to put it, like he chucked every idea at it. Reminded me a bit of the early films, like it was a bit "film school" and maybe it's because it was for Netflix that it was less cinematic, like he'd gone all-out to create a really good TV movie. Was a wee bit worried at first it was all going to be a bit Dad's Army but that didn't last. Felt so fresh for the work of a 63 year old. 

Not a big Spike Lee fan, but Bamboozled was an interesting watch, despite looking like it cost buttons to make. Possibly at his least subtle, but creepily plausible at the time, and seems even more so now. Topical, considering the formerly-edgelord comedians currently making insincere retroactive apologies for using blackface.

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Vince Vaughn plays a hard man drug runner who gets put in the slammer, wife gets kidnapped, kills a bunch of guys attempting to save his pregnant wife.

Not bad movie if you take it for what it is which is a gory action movie with plenty of fight scenes.

The Yakuza

Slow burning film noir from the 70s starring Robert Mitchum as an American tough guy who goes to Japan and gets up to his neck in gangster shit.

This is classic east meets west fare. Lots of colourful shots of Tokyo at night. All sleazy bars and neon lights. A fair bit of violence too.

9/10

On 16/06/2020 at 13:05, tongue_tied_danny said:

Krull

Dodgy sci-fi fantasy starring Robbie Coltrane, Bernard Bresslaw, Liam Neeson and Todd Cartey. 

A motley bunch of rogues go off on a tedious adventure of some kind involving sword fights, quicksand and christ knows what else. 

Risible.

0/10

Debatable.
The hot chick with the curly ginger hair makes it at least a 7/10.

Underwater 

3/10

What looked like a great concept (some scientists and mechanical engineers are in a lab in the Mariana Trench when shit goes wrong) is ruined by

crappy monsters and a shite Cthulu

TJ Miller is well placed to play the wise cracking, doesn't take things too seriously role, but it's seriously out of place here.

Berverly Hills Ninja

8/10

Puerile nonsense and lots of physical comedy. However, it's all done so well that it's fantastic. Very funny stuff. Chris Farley really had a trilogy of films (this, Black Sheep and Tommy Boy; his other starring role is pish) and was the master of this type of stuff. His reactions to things are just tremendous.

The Skeleton Twins

6.5/10

A brother and sister sort of bond over mental health issues.

Felt it could have been more whilst at the same time being quite touching and poignant in places, just not enough places.

33 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Blue Collar

Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel star in this gritty 70s thriller about corrupt union officials in a Detroit car factory. Now this is my kind of film. It's bleak but has a few moments of humour. I'd say this is one for movie buffs only. 

8/10

Try to catch Straight Time (1978).

Dustin Hoffman acts against type by playing a habitual convict who is out on parole and wants to go straight.

He gets a place to live, a job and a woman in his life (Theresa Russell) but his mate (Gary Busey) and parole officer (M Emmet Walsh) are  both dicks and Hoffman's plans are derailed.

There are scenes which influenced Reservoir Dogs and Heat. My only criticism is the soundtrack which, at times, is inappropriate for this type of movie.

Also starring Harry Dean Stanton and Kathy Bates it's one of the best 70s movies you've never heard of.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Try to catch Straight Time (1978).

Dustin Hoffman acts against type by playing a habitual convict who is out on parole and wants to go straight.

He gets a place to live, a job and a woman in his life (Theresa Russell) but his mate (Gary Busey) and parole officer (M Emmet Walsh) are  both dicks and Hoffman's plans are derailed.

There are scenes which influenced Reservoir Dogs and Heat. My only criticism is the soundtrack which, at times, is inappropriate for this type of movie.

Also starring Harry Dean Stanton and Kathy Bates it's one of the best 70s movies you've never heard of.

I've seen it and I love it. It's based on the book No Beast So Fierce by Ed Bunker AKA Mr Blue from Reservoir Dogs. A cracking read.