What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Need a bit help here.

Looking for a film that I don’t know the name of.

It’s about the skeleton of a kid that is dug up in a construction site, boy was murdered like 50 years prior and it goes back and forward from present to past. That’s all I can really remember and I’ve no idea what it’s called so I was hoping someone knew what it was from the brief description.... I vaguely remember something about an American diner in the film.

4 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

Need a bit help here.

It’s about the skeleton of a kid that is dug up in a construction site, boy was murdered like 50 years prior and it goes back and forward from present to past. That’s all I can really remember and I’ve no idea what it’s called so I was hoping someone knew what it was from the brief description.... I vaguely remember something about an American diner in the film.

Presumably not Quatermass and the Pit with diner unless there was an American remake? Far more than 50 years prior too.

13 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

Need a bit help here.

Could it be this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calling_Homicide

Artemis Fowl (DIsney Plus) - 5/10
Heaps of 'meh' from start to finish. Josh Gad is fun and Judi Dench's Irish accent is horrific. I'm guessing the lazy sequel will already be in the works.
Your score is generous based on the reviews I've seen. Glad I never read the books as a youngster as I have no nostalgic obligation to endure the film.

3 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Need a bit help here.

Is it the film Stolen from 2009?

Days of the Bagnold Summer

Directorial debut of Simon Bird (geeky one from The Inbetweeners). Adapted from a graphic novel, it looks at a teenage boy having to spend the summer holidays with his mum (when he was looking forward to spending it with his dad in Florida). Just a really well done British comedy. Nothing really happens in it. Just good lines, good set pieces. A bit like Kevin the teenager crossed with the feel of a US feelgood/coming of age film. Less than 90 minutes too. 

9/10 

19 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Need a bit help here.

The TV drama Unforgotten has this plot. A young black boy was murdered in the 70s and his body found 50 years later in the  basement of a derelict building. The story flashes back and forth and a cold case team try and solve tbe case. It stars  the excellent Nicola Walker and  Sanjeev Bhaskar

I've not a fucking clue about this but, looking through the IMDB's keywords, I may have filled out the tracklisting for my next Death Metal album.

arse.jpg

Edit: it sounds like every second episode of Law & Order.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

Watched 4 films this past week...

The Raid - Indonesian martial arts movie from 2011, this ones been around a while now and although I've still to sit and watch the sequel I had a great with with this one, the fight scenes had this motion to them that sold the performances and it did everything it needed to in the 101 minute run-time. 

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - I've put off watching this one for almost 20 years now and I was silly because it was a great time, Depp really sells the role, I found the dialogue slightly muddled at times but with subtitles on its easier to follow. Seemed so fitting when I read up that Terry Gilliam was the director after watching. I think a repeated viewing is required with this one. 

The Truman Show - First time I've watched this since it was on free TV sometime in the early 00's. I maybe didn't appreciate it back then (and there was an awful lot I didn't remember) but its maybe the most I've enjoyed watching Carrey acting. I remember being dissatisfied with the ending as a youngster but on re-watching it almost felt like the perfect conclusion to the story. Shoutout to Laura Linney who I had only ever seen in one of my favourite under-rated movies: Congo. 

Robocop 3 - This one brought back strange conflicting memories, turns out I was wrong and it was the second film where they shoot drugs called Nuke into their neck and now I hope that comes on Netflix some day. Some laughable special effects to be seen. 

21 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Need a bit help here.

I'm out. Nothing else at all you can remember about it?

It's alarming how many kids films come up when you search for things like 'child body construction flashback'. Also disturbing when the IMDB shows you a list of the 'Most Popular Dead Child Movies'  :shutup

I watched 1917 earlier tonight and having now read a number of reviews, it appears I had a different impression of what was happening than anyone else. Including apparently, the film makers. I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else so would appreciate the opinions of the P&B cinephiles.

Spoiler

A large part of the film appeared to have a very surreal quality to it. So much so that while watching, I thought Schofield was dead - he just didn't know it. I was expecting a "Sixth Sense" type reveal but then for the final scenes, we reverted to "real life."

It started after the plane crash scene, where Blake was killed. The parts that seemed 'off' to me were:

1. The three truckloads of British troops appearing out of nowhere, without our boy even hearing them coming.
2. That the company of troops appeared to have representatives from every corner of the British mainland, if not from the Empire itself. A bit nitpicky this one, I'll admit but I read meaning into it that apparently wasn't there.
3. The unearthly appearance of the ruined French village.
4. His apparently supernatural ability to avoid being hit by bullets - this happened several times. I noticed it particularly when he was being chased through the ruins by the German solider when it seemed it would've been easier for Fritz to land one. Yes, he did get winged by the wounded sniper but that didn't slow him down much. Jules Winnfield might even describe this as a miracle.
5. After he jumped through the window to the basement, the soldier, who had only been a few feet behind, didn't bother looking for him.
6. The whole exchange with the woman and the baby just seemed odd.
7. Him being swept down the rushing river. Every other part of the film took place on a rolling plain. Where did we get the contours to create a raging torrent and a waterfall?
8. The dream-like quality of the song he heard on climbing out of the river.
9. Followed by the also dream-like scene with the soldiers all sitting around in the forest, listening to the singer
10. That he was able to walk into the British camp and up to the seated soldiers, without anyone noticing or reacting with surprise when they finally saw him. Yes, they expressed concern over how beaten up he looked  but nobody said "Jesus, you scared the crap out of me. Where the f**k did you come from?" Didn't they have sentries?

And then, apart from another "no bullets can hit me" scene while he ran parallel to the trench, the remainder of the film seemed to take place in the normal universe.

Apparently, I was wrong about him being dead. Was it really all just cinematic licence?

Did anyone else think this, or is it just me?

Edited by Shotgun

5 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I watched 1917 earlier tonight and having now read a number of reviews, it appears I had a different impression of what was happening than anyone else. Including apparently, the film makers. I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else so would appreciate the opinions of the P&B cinephiles.

Hide contents

A large part of the film appeared to have a very surreal quality to it. So much so that while watching, I thought Schofield was dead - he just didn't know it. I was expecting a "Sixth Sense" type reveal but then for the final scenes, we reverted to "real life."

It started after the plane crash scene, where Blake was killed. The parts that seemed 'off' to me were:

1. The three truckloads of British troops appearing out of nowhere, without our boy even hearing them coming.
2. That the company of troops appeared to have representatives from every corner of the British mainland, if not from the Empire itself. A bit nitpicky this one, I'll admit but I read meaning into it that apparently wasn't there.
3. The unearthly appearance of the ruined French village.
4. His apparently supernatural ability to avoid being hit by bullets - this happened several times. I noticed it particularly when he was being chased through the ruins by the German solider when it seemed it would've been easier for Fritz to land one. Yes, he did get winged by the wounded sniper but that didn't slow him down much. Jules Winnfield might even describe this as a miracle.
5. After he jumped through the window to the basement, the soldier, who had only been a few feet behind, didn't bother looking for him.
6. The whole exchange with the woman and the baby just seemed odd.
7. Him being swept down the rushing river. Every other part of the film took place on a rolling plain. Where did we get the contours to create a raging torrent and a waterfall?
8. The dream-like quality of the song he heard on climbing out of the river.
9. Followed by the also dream-like scene with the soldiers all sitting around in the forest, listening to the singer
10. That he was able to walk into the British camp and up to the seated soldiers, without anyone noticing or reacting with surprise when they finally saw him. Yes, they expressed concern over how beaten up he looked  but nobody said "Jesus, you scared the crap out of me. Where the f**k did you come from?" Didn't they have sentries?

And then, apart from another "no bullets can hit me" scene while he ran parallel to the trench, the remainder of the film seemed to take place in the normal universe.

Apparently, I was wrong about him being dead. Was it really all just cinematic licence?

Did anyone else think this, or is it just me?

Just you.

20 hours ago, Gerald Elbowdent said:

Wake In Fright (1971) - Reccomended by Limmy, this is his favourite film. In this psychological thriller/drama, an English schoolteacher working in tiny outback village in Australia tries to make it to Sydney for the Christmas holidays. Stops by a town affectionately known as The Yabba and gets a first hand experience of the aggressive hospitality and infectious alcoholism of the eccentric locals. I would have given this an 8 were it not for an unpleasant and unecesarrily long passge of the film where real life footage of the characters violently and brutally hunting/massacring Kangaroos is used. 7/10

Makes me dislike Limmy even more now. That kangaroo scene is utterly detestable and as you say completely unnecessary. Apparently 90% of the footage was unusable due to the carnage. Good film up until that point.

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

St Vincent. 7/10

Bill Murray plays a grumpy old neighbour riddled with alcoholism, gambling problems and an upcoming baby with a Russian prostitute. 

Young kid next door ends up with him as a babysitter and learns a little about life for good and bad. 

Decent watch, could see Bill Murray on my screen all day and be happy. 

I'm out. Nothing else at all you can remember about it?
It's alarming how many kids films come up when you search for things like 'child body construction flashback'. Also disturbing when the IMDB shows you a list of the 'Most Popular Dead Child Movies'  :shutup

Nah mate nothing that stands out that I haven’t said. Hahaha aye I know, I’ve tried to word it 100 different ways! I just hope to stumble across it.