What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

The Wrong Missy, on Netflix 6/10

Story about how a guy is trying to get over a break-up with his ex-fiance (played by the absolutely milfed aged well Sarah Chalke from Scrubs) by going on a blind date. Ends up meeting a bit of a nutter. Side note- Roman Reigns makes a short cameo during the date. 

Ends up meeting what seems to be his perfect match at the airport before an inevitable flight parts them of their future for the time being. 

Both ladies called Missy, invites the wrong one to a company get away with a few funny scenes and ends up really digging the nutter. Vanilla Ice also makes a cameo late on.

I quite enjoyed it. Silly sh*t in which both main characters should have died from horrendous falls. The missus absolutely hated it and thought it was the worst film she'd ever seen. 

The sheer presence of David Spade in the thumbnail is enough to convince me your missus knows what she is talking about

Don't re-watch films for a few decades usually, but enjoying The Martian. Downside is I had to watch Sean Bean in the worst casting I can think of. Same technique he used fighting the Frenchies in Northern Spain.

Edited by welshbairn

RocknRolla. A generous 7/10, as it was just the kind of mindless entertainment I needed last night. Mark Strong excellent as always, Thandie Newton a lot wid-er than she ever was in Line of Duty. Toby Kebbell (sp?) turned in a cracking performance as the dead/not dead Johnny, as well.

The "bloody Russians, coming over here and tsking over our scams!" seems dated, even after just a dozen or so years. Add in more shaky plotting than you can shake a shakey thing at, and in a more critical mood I'd have lost patience and binned this halfway. Probably owes half it's score to my own lethargy.

The Medusa Touch - after an attempt to murder an English writer leaves him catatonic, a French detective tries to uncover who attempted to kill him, and why he was such a solitary figure.

Bit of a minor classic, this one, and I'm surprised it hasn't had a modern remake as there's a lot of scope for somebody to take the basic premise and do their own thing with it. Richard Burton stars alongside a cast of familiar faces from UK TV and cinema, and demonstrates the kind of moody intensity that only he could bring to a role. Very much of its time in many ways, it's still a compelling chiller that builds nicely to a memorable ending. Probably best watched without knowing too much about where the story goes.

Bit pissed that I didn't look this up before watching, as my copy is clearly a low-effort VHS transfer from the early days of DVD. I'll be buying the widescreen Blu-Ray for when I've forgotten enough of the plot to see it again. BigFatTabbyBoy could not be persuaded to join me, alas.

Extraction 6/10

Another film that the Russo brothers are involved in that would prob be a straight to dvd effort (I consider that below straight to Netflix) if it weren't for an an avengers star in the lead role (Thor this time).
Very similar to 21 Bridges which I watched a couple of weeks ago (with Chadwick Boseman as the lead) whereby something happens and they lock down the city looking for other people involved but this time it's in Dakka, Bangladesh instead of New York.
Not a terrible film but doesn't really do anything that many of these types of films haven't already done before.

Been rewatching some great films last couple of days

The Grand Budapest Hotel - Wes Anderson's visually stunning story set in a sort of fictional Ruritania with Ralph Fiennes in an extremely funny role as the concierge of the hotel. Lots of cameos including Jeff Goldblum, Willem Dafoe, Adrien Brody and Bill Murray.  8.5/10

A Beautiful Mind - loses a wee bit of impact knowing the twist  that comes half way through but still a great film with Russell Crowe outstanding as mathematician John Nash and his struggle with mental illness. 8/10

Vertigo - Hitchcock's near perfect psycholgical thriller never disappoints. Stunning San Francisco backdrop and a hypnotic feel to it.  James Stewart's psychological torture is fully exposed and Kim Novak smoulders as his object of desire and obsession. Very inventive plot that builds up to the tragic ending. 9.5/10

Ready Player One : bit lat to the party, but its recently been added to Amazon Prime.

Decent enough gamer-fest with nods to games and characters from across history. The story was a bit predictable and light but I dont think that was really the point!

A good solid four thumbs up

:thumsup2 :thumsup2 :thumsup2 :thumsup2 

Watched a couple of childhood favourites as I'm running short of decent stuff to watch.

Capricorn One - what a movie. I probably didn't really understand the implications of the conspiracy when I watched it as a kid, but just enjoyed the characters and classic scenes, including some top banter from Telly Savalas. The gas station scene towards the end is one of my favourites from any movie. 9/10

Enemy Mine - not sure how well- known this 80's sci-fi is. Human and alien fighter pilots crash on a planet amid a dogfight and over time realise they need each other to survive, leading to a warm friendship. Enjoyable movie with the odd genuinely touching scene, without being too serious thanks to the lead being Dennis Quaid. Nice scenery too, shot in Lanzarote apparently. 7.5/10

Watched, well, tried to watch Justice League with all the Snyder cut stuff flying about. Was stinking. I like Affleck but cant take to him as Batman.

Having a rich vigilante alongside actual super heroes with actual super powers really neutered Batman. Hes more or less like a middle manager setting up a team to go do the actual super hero stuff.

Also, Michael Caine is Alfred and Gary Oldman is Commissioner Gordon, no matter how good the new actors portraying them are.

The Last Full Measure - true story about attempts to get a Pararescueman's medal upgraded to the Medal of Honour for his efforts n the Viet Nam war.  A decent watch - look at Wikipedia for more details. Strong cast as well.  8/10

On 26/04/2020 at 20:14, keithgy said:

Jojo Rabbit 10/10

An excellent film and great writing

Just watched this and absolutely loved it.

Will need to look out for the other recommended Taika Waititi on here.

Blues Brothers 

5/10 (Netflix)

Heard for ages that this is a great film full of comedy and great music. Had never seen it until tonight.

It's deeply average. Couple of funny moments and a few decent tunes. Very disappointing overall.

Blues Brothers 
5/10 (Netflix)
Heard for ages that this is a great film full of comedy and great music. Had never seen it until tonight.
It's deeply average. Couple of funny moments and a few decent tunes. Very disappointing overall.
"Just plain wrong opinions" thread for this pish.

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Blues Brothers 

5/10 (Netflix)

Seriously wrong its a  classic movie

Use of unnecessary violence in apprehension of the Blues Brothers…has been approved.

Brexit: The Uncivil War

Watched this last night as it seemed fitting, felt it lacked a lot of detials, probably because it was made during the investigation into the Leave parties. Still a good watch Cumberbatch is excellent.

7/10

Dune (1984)

The remake is due sometime soon which I can't wait to see so thought I'd give the original a rewatch It has a distinctly David Lynch look and sound to it and it does a fair shot at trying to recreate Frank Herbert's epic story. Saying that Lynch wasn't happy at all with the final cut which I think was out of his hands. I seemed to concentrate more watching it this time and enjoyed it more than I have done previously.

7/10