Rugster

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

A Star Is Born.

I was surprised just how much I enjoyed this.  Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga are excellent and the soundtrack is top notch.  9/10

eta: And Sam Elliot steals the whole film, naturally.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

15 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Paddington 1 and 2

Great fun to watch with the wean but lots to keep me entertained as well.

7 & 8/10

15 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

The Paddington films are tremendous fun.

The 2nd one is even better IMO. Who'd have thought Hugh Grant could be so funny? 

The 2nd one is even better IMO. Who'd have thought Hugh Grant could be so funny? 

Hugh Grant is a decent actor it’s a pity a lot of people just see him as the floppy haired posh dimwit form 4 weddings.
He was excellent in A Very English Scandal and in The Gentlemen on just now.

21 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Parasite - 7/10

Started off well but kinda lost its way in the last half hour or so. Still worth a watch

I kind of see why you had a problem with the ending but I loved the film. One of my 3 favourites of the year along with Joker and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Could be an interesting Oscars this year for a change.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

It is, great film. 

Also in About a Boy.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Paddington 2 is a perfect movie.

7 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Totally agree on HG. Sat down with the kids over Christmas and really enjoyed the film. 

Koyaanisqatsi

Quite an overwhelming experience watching this. It's like an Adam Curtis documentary crossed with the stargate sequence of 2001. I'm not sure I if enjoyed is the right word for this but I sat still and watched it all without moving from my seat so I suppose that says something.

8/10

the Good, the bad and Ugly.

Absolutely fantastic, everything about the way the film is shot to the backdrop of the civil war is iconic. The dubbing seemed slightly off at times on Netflix - maybe that's their fault as opposed to the film. Completely forgot that the lack of dialogue for the first 10 minutes, really immerses you in the film. 

9/10.

the Good, the bad and Ugly.

Absolutely fantastic, everything about the way the film is shot to the backdrop of the civil war is iconic. The dubbing seemed slightly off at times on Netflix - maybe that's their fault as opposed to the film. Completely forgot that the lack of dialogue for the first 10 minutes, really immerses you in the film. 
9/10.
Nah, it's the film mate. Always been like that. Have the trilogy on DVD and had it on VHS as well.

The Gentlemen 9/10

Brilliant. Big fan of Guy Ritchies films and this is definitely up there with the best. Too many top performances and very difficult to narrow it down to one, but Hugh Grant stole this

Also, McConaugheys wife is a massive wid

Summer Camp Nightmare

Watched after Sleepaway Camp the other day and expected this to be a cheesy dumb 80's slasher movie set around a summer camp. It lures you along with that at the start with the overbearing, prudish camp leader at loggerheads with the older kids but then it totally side swipes you and goes down a Lord of the Flies route which is a lot more interesting than you'd expect from a low budget film with rubbish acting. I honestly enjoyed the hell out of it.

7/10

On 15/01/2020 at 20:44, Twinkle said:

The Gentlemen 9/10

Brilliant. Big fan of Guy Ritchies films and this is definitely up there with the best. Too many top performances and very difficult to narrow it down to one, but Hugh Grant stole this

Also, McConaugheys wife is a massive wid

Defo going to see this in next couple weeks, even the trailer gives you the feeling its a cracking watch, and seeing reviews like yours is just more convincing

Videodrome

Not watched for about 20 years. A fun watch in the internet age, which is really what Cronenberg was predicting. As a bonus you get to see Debbie Harry in the nip.

8/10

La Belle Epoque, yesterday.
Mixed reviews, but a a wee romcom gem, the way only the French can do them - ie, there's much more to it. And Daniel Auteuil, looking like a Gallic Pacino turns in his best stuff for 30 years, since Jean de Floret and Manon de Source.

The Siege of Jadotville

Interesting bit of historical drama that I had no knowledge of. For the main act they essentially do "Zulu, but with Irish soldiers" which is entertaining. Jamie Dornan plays a good hard-as-nails commander.

8/10

On 14/01/2020 at 12:28, Stellaboz said:

It is, great film. 

Also in About a Boy.

You’re wounding my soul!

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

The Siege of Jadotville

Interesting bit of historical drama that I had no knowledge of. For the main act they essentially do "Zulu, but with Irish soldiers" which is entertaining. Janie Dornan plays a good hard-as-nails commander.

8/10

Watched this yesterday........really good.

Ford v Ferarri

Enjoyable story with great racing scenes. I'll even forgive them passing off Auto Club Speedway in California as Daytona......8/10.

Bad boys for life - If you want a stupidly over the top funny action film you don’t need to invest yourself in go and see this. If you want a movie with a plot that isn’t nonsense and doesn’t have guns firing and explosions all over the place don’t see this movie.

More of the same stuff from the previous two. Martin Lawrence is hilarious. 6.5/10.

On 09/01/2020 at 17:43, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Went to see this and was actually pretty impressed. Was ridiculously funny, Hugh Grant is outstanding while McCounghey and Farrell play their parts really well. It maybe got a bit convoluted towards the end but it shouldn’t be a film you go into expecting a solid plot/story. More of a switch off and enjoy action(?)/comedy.

Saw this last week, Knives Out and The Gentlemen in the same week? Two of the most enjoyable and fun films I've seen for ages, and it's only January! 

These two films have set a pretty high bar for the rest of the year. 

I liked a Hugh Grant film? Well, apparently I did. The level of sleaziness he can descend to is quite impressive for a typecast rom-com luvvie.