What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

9 hours ago, MSU said:

Movie 34 (Me) -- Airplane! 8/10. As we were about to sit down and watch this, I announced that I was 10 when I first saw it. I remember it quite clearly. I also remember quoting entire scenes with my pals at school in the following days. I don't think what I saw was a censored for TV version, I remember going to the video rental store with my dad and we hired it. So what I saw 36 years ago is pretty much what I saw tonight with my 11 year old step-daughter and 13 year-old step-son. I still find it funny. I still see jokes that I'd either missed or forgotten. According to our TV it's PG and with the boobs, the racism, the homophobia, the drugs, the sleeping with the horse, the autopilot blowjob, etc, it's difficult to see how it holds that rating. Boobs in the US will push it to a PG-13 (which probably didn't exist at the time) or maybe even an R. We all, for the most part, enjoyed it. I probably laughed more than everyone apart from the 11 year old who thought it was a hoot.

American censorship is fucked up. You can get pretty much whatever you want uncensored, but finding it can be a bitch, and most people will see versions of films that have been changed from the original. Unfortunately, we sometimes get stuck with their cut versions too, out of laziness by the distributors more than anything else. I remember being a film geek teenager and being jealous that Americans saw their films before the UK censors got their hands on them, but the reality really doesn't live up to the theory.

Anyway, presumably you've got Movie 43 already lined up? The kids might be a bit too mentally mature for that one, right enough  :P

Watched Uncut Gems last night, was definitely good, but by the end I felt like I’d been in the sensory overload torture chair from A Clockwork Orange. Just absolutely fucking relentless for two straight hours.

Adam Sandler was really good though.

The Conversation (1974)

Highly acclaimed Coppola film starring Gene Hackman as a surveillance expert who becomes obsessed with the couple he's been spying on thinking that they are going to be murdered. Not quite as good as I was expecting but still pretty good and you can see it had an influence on Lives Of Others.

7/10

Movie 36 (Missus) -- Sully 8/10. Enjoyed this enormously. There wasn't a huge amount of tension but Tom Hanks sold the role perfectly. Loved the multiple presentation of the crash, even if Clint Eastwood had anything to do with it.

20 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

American censorship is fucked up. You can get pretty much whatever you want uncensored, but finding it can be a bitch, and most people will see versions of films that have been changed from the original. Unfortunately, we sometimes get stuck with their cut versions too, out of laziness by the distributors more than anything else. I remember being a film geek teenager and being jealous that Americans saw their films before the UK censors got their hands on them, but the reality really doesn't live up to the theory.

Anyway, presumably you've got Movie 43 already lined up? The kids might be a bit too mentally mature for that one, right enough  :P

Yippee ki yay melon farmer.

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

Yippee ki yay melon farmer.

It was always "kimosabe" on the print ITV used to show.

This forum is like a big chicken waiting to be plucked.

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It was always "kimosabe" on the print ITV used to show.

This forum is like a big chicken waiting to be plucked.

There's a great Goldbergs episode about Adam seeing it in the cinema, then waiting patiently for the TV screening, only to hear "melon farmer"

34 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

There's a great Goldbergs episode about Adam seeing it in the cinema, then waiting patiently for the TV screening, only to hear "melon farmer"

My favourite's still, "your mother knits socks that smell, Karras".

Bizarre genius. I wonder if they ever managed to put together a PG version of Deep Throat.

The Ritual (2017)

4 pals head for a hiking beano in the Swedish boondocks, they decide to look for a shortcut through some woods.

Dead animals/people hang from trees, runic symbols carved onto trees, and the most bizarre looking monster tracks them.

There should have been 5 pals on the trip, so there's a wee back story too.

It was ok, with some decent enough frights & action.

5.5/10