What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

2 hours ago, The_Craig said:

Went to bed early with the missus and let her pick a film on Netflix and she went for Downsizing.

What a load of rubbish. Sure the wee Vietnamese bird was a did but other than that, it was utter shite!

Pics or GTF.

Have to echo about Ford vs ferrari
Excellent watch

Missus chose 'Marriage Story' this afternoon as we enjoyed the end of our holidays!
She lost attention and ended up on her phone playing scrabble.

I loved it. Thought it was excellent. Great dialogue. I thought Adam driver and scarlett johansson were superb. It was a realistic, heart tugging take on a relationship where there is love but pulling apart. Reminded me of Blue Valentine, just the demise of a love story.

Not going to be everyone's cuppa, but if you like realistic, and long well acted dialogue scenes, give it a go. Can see why Adam Driver is winning all the awards for this film.

9/10

Jojo Rabbit

Firstly, an totally see why this might not be to everyone's taste. It could have further developed the sole Jewish character, rather than just using her as a character building exercise for Jojo. Plus, I get that a lot of people will just never find humour in this setting.

In saying all that, I loved the film. Laughed at a good few bits. Not the most highbrow humour ever but it worked within the context and when it got serious, it did it well. Also, a great soundtrack and score.

The cast were outstanding: Scarlett Johansen continues to flex her considerable acting muscles free from the constraints of the MCU; Sam Rockwell and Alfie Allan are the double act I never thought I needed and Stephen Merchant's brief appearance is chillingly wonderful. Waititi does a good job of portraying a child's version of Hitler and I am glad he only appeared sparingly to chart Jojo's changing belief system.

The stars though are the three child actors, particularly the boys. Griffin Davis is believable as the young innocent caught in the middle of something horrible that he can never possibly understand and has great comic timing. Archie Yates is the star though as Jojo's wee pal. Was pissing myself laughing with some of the things he came out with. Not a single wasted line and great comic timing.

In all, a solid start to 2020 moviegoing. Here's to the rest!

9/10

Going in Style (2017) - 2

Considering the cast, the film lacks charm. And considering the type of film it is, it relies on charm. Really disappointing even for a pass the time by comedy.

2/10

Edited by Ludo*1

I Bought A Vampire Motorcycle

Joined a b movie group and we occasionally watch rubbish and this was Saturday's night offering (which i have seen before). Basically the cast of Boon dealing with a Vampire Bike, Neil Morrissey's ratty ponytail is an unwanted star. Perks up in the second half after a dull first forthy minutes but just isn't very good.

4/10

Papillon 

2017 prison/justice type flick with Charlie Hunnam and Rami Malik, shades of The Shawshank Redemption about it and based on a true story about a French diamond thief framed for murder and sent to the slave labour camps run by the French penal system in Guyana in the 1930s, he finally makes a successful escape at about the fifth attempt after some pretty brutal torture and solitary confinement, superb watch 8/10

Papillon 
2017 prison/justice type flick with Charlie Hunnam and Rami Malik, shades of The Shawshank Redemption about it and based on a true story about a French diamond thief framed for murder and sent to the slave labour camps run by the French penal system in Guyana in the 1930s, he finally makes a successful escape at about the fifth attempt after some pretty brutal torture and solitary confinement, superb watch 8/10

Spoiler alert.

Although it sounds a lot like that Dustin Hoffman/Steve McQueen movie from the early 70’s. Can’t remember it’s name though.

Also watched Downsizing on Netflix the other day. Could have been great but ended up crap. Couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a comedy, a drama, a sci-fi or a a parable and ended up being nothing. Went off a cliff in particular the moment they left the main settlement bit.
Aye it was weird. I thought the first bit right up to his wife leaving him was great and set the scene for something really interesting but just petered out into boring waffle.
Like you say it just didnt know what it wanted to be and ended up being nothing.

On 03/01/2020 at 18:33, Mark Connolly said:

Knives Out

Absolutely glorious. Thought Chris Evans was great, and it looks like all the cast were having fun, especially Don Johnson pretty much playing himself.

Yeah, 2 hours of old fashioned escapist entertainment. Nothing deep or heavy, just a clever and twisty plot well acted and hammed up by everyone.  

'How old is Greatnana Wanetta'?   'We've no idea'.   I used to have a granny like that. 

Downsizing was, indeed, shite, by the way. Both films were roughly the same length. Downsizing seemed like an endurance test. 

Jojo Rabbit

I had no idea what to expect here, but I was delighted I went to see it. Really enjoyable stuff. Some of the comedy was pretty absurd but still managed to work for me. Add a couple of proper jolts in there and some great charm and I'm a happy film goer.

9/10

The Gentlemen

Loved this. Great, well knitted together plot, with some twisty twists. Lot of red herrings and a satisfying conclusion. Great cast, with the highlight being High Grant playing the most un-Hugh Grant character ever. Colin Farrell was also very enjoyable to watch.

The Gentlemen

Loved this. Great, well knitted together plot, with some twisty twists. Lot of red herrings and a satisfying conclusion. Great cast, with the highlight being High Grant playing the most un-Hugh Grant character ever. Colin Farrell was also very enjoyable to watch.
A lot of reviews seems to disagree with me but f**k them! What do they know?