What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The Lion King on Channel 4.

Seen it about 100 times and it continues to amaze me on every watch how breathtakingly beautiful the animation is and even the backdrops. The absolute peak of the art for me.

People talk about The Thief and the Cobbler being the peak of the art of animation as it's so ridiculously fluid but it doesn't hold a candle to the Lion King visually in my opinion. 

The story, voice acting and music is all too notch as well. 

10/10. One of my favourite films of all time. 

If you're talking about the original Lion King then yep, 10/10

The second one had Jeremy Irons hammily waffling about the Circle Of Life. 

It was very nearly as good. 

On 31/12/2019 at 20:37, NewBornBairn said:

John Wick 3

A thought-provoking and subtle homage to film noir with a memorable script and tender moments giving an insight into the human condi...

Nah - laughed my arse off throughout. Got a new soundbase for the telly and thought I'd test it on this. Superb. The sound of a knife scraping against the skull when it's plunged into an eyeball was exquisitely rendered. More banging going on than at a Dundee single mum's night out. 

Ok, I give up. Tried googling it and I can't find where your signature comes from. 

Is it a Christopher Brookmyre quote?

27 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

If you're talking about the original Lion King then yep, 10/10

The second one had Jeremy Irons hammily waffling about the Circle Of Life. 

It was very nearly as good. 

Definitely the original. Don't fancy the remake at all. 

2 hours ago, Adam101 said:

JoJo Rabbit 9/10

Very solid start to the year of film. Not often Hitler is the standout comedic character. Not seen the cinema as busy as it was for this, great film.

I didn't laugh once and thought this was absolutely awful, especially Hitler. Rebel Wilson as funny as she always is though, i.e not remotely funny.

Amazed that people are talking about Oscar nominations for this.

2/10

9 hours ago, Lee Van Tee said:

I didn't laugh once and thought this was absolutely awful, especially Hitler. Rebel Wilson as funny as she always is though, i.e not remotely funny.

Amazed that people are talking about Oscar nominations for this.

2/10

Interesting, our cinema was in fits of laughter. I think it will be in for a shout for a few Oscar's. It's already racked up 95 nomination and Waititi is nominated for outstanding performance from the Screen Actors Guild. It's polling strongly on IMDb, maybe just not for you.

On 30/12/2019 at 23:40, welshbairn said:

Just watched it, not bad. Did a bit of googling after and it seems to have been very accurate, including the wee battle scene. Interesting thing I found out was there were around 400,000 German soldiers left in Norway at the end of the war, at least 300,000 during most of it, for a country with a population of 3 million. There was a bit of resistance but it was easily the safest place to spend the war. Must have been an awful lot of German parents pulling strings to get their sons posted there, rather than the Russian front.

Reveal hidden contents

Thought the King would escape to Sweden, turned out the Royal Navy shipped him out to London.

Spoiler

Aye, this was evident from the German Envoy in Oslo failing to get the King to agree to Hitler's ultimatum. Result - Envoy sent to the Eastern Front.

2 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Interesting, our cinema was in fits of laughter. I think it will be in for a shout for a few Oscar's. It's already racked up 95 nomination and Waititi is nominated for outstanding performance from the Screen Actors Guild. It's polling strongly on IMDb, maybe just not for you.

Aye, the critical response had a lot to do with me deciding to see it. Well, that and Scarlett Johansson.

Doctor Sleep

Wasn't expecting much as I hadn't heard a great deal about this when it came out but was surprisingly impressed. Really good movie and enjoyed how it tied in with the shining without hanging onto it. All in all great movie with a decent ending

9/10

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

An NZ comedy/adventure movie, about an unloved 13 yr old orphan (Ricky) who is placed with older foster parents in rural NZ, one of whom is played by the excellent Sam Neill.

Events conspire & lead to a national manhunt out in the 'Bush'.

Quite funny at times, a real feel-good film.

Film4 tv channel are showing it just now.

7.5/10

An NZ comedy/adventure movie, about an unloved 13 yr old orphan (Ricky) who is placed with older foster parents in rural NZ, one of whom is played by the excellent Sam Neill.
7.5/10

A fuckin brilliant film. Another from Taika Waititi

2 minutes ago, Twinkle said:
4 minutes ago, Silverton End said:
7.5/10

A fuckin brilliant film. Another from Taika Waititi

Yeah, we really enjoyed it. Some good music throughout too, not to mention the scenery as well. Cracking film

In the last 48 hours

Lion King 8/10 still think Simba is a wee p***k

Jurassic Park 10/10 perfect film

The Irishman 7/10 really good but it defintely could lose an hour and the scene beating up the grocer is hilarious as all the CGI on the world cant hide an auld boy who cant move and De Niro gives someone the gentlest doing of all time

The Big Short 10/10. Outstanding 

The Siege of Jadotville 9/10. Story totally unknown to me about aome Irish lads acting as UN peacekeepers in Congo in 60s.

1 hour ago, Twinkle said:
1 hour ago, Silverton End said:
7.5/10

A fuckin brilliant film. The best from Taika Waititi

Fixed etc.

Hereditary (1) 

I love slow, suspenseful horrors, but this was just a nonsense. I understand the premise and won't spoil it for anyone but I really don't get the acclaim this film got. Few creepy scenes and I'm really glad they didn't go down the stale jump scare route, but it was like a shite version of The Wicker Man for me (Not the Nicholas Cage one). 

4/10