What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Lord of the Elves

Terrible. Just terrible. Get a bunch of vertically challenged Cambodians overdub them awfully, throw in some "rock men" who are just normal sized Cambodians and through in the standard Asylum bag CGI.

One of their absolute worst films I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot of guff.

-300/10

Marriage Story

This is a really great film that draws heavily from two stellar performances (don't "at me", but Adam Driver's performance is a lot better than Joaquin Phoenix's in Joker). It's funny, it's sad, it's simultaneously uplifting and a downer. I found it more relatable than I anticipated, which led to some bits hitting a lot harder than expected.

Ray Liotta's brief time on-screen was thoroughly enjoyable too!

I've just sat in front of the tv all night. ITV4 were showing a couple of old films.

Where Eagles Dare.

Classic war film with a beautiful alpine setting and dozens of dead jerries.

8/10

First Blood

Rambo exacts some pretty horrific vengeance on a bunch of redneck cops.

8/10

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

Remake of The Thing.

Horrific.

And by that I mean the film, not the monster.
If you mean the prequel, I just watched it again last night too. How strange.

I still think it's alright. The main problem is that the CGI is shit, compounded by the fact that the original practical effects were supposed to be really good, like the original remake.

The Norwegians seem like they'd be more fun to do a shift in Antarctica with.

Time Walker

Reasonably enjoyable creature feature about an alien mummy spreading a fungus that kills people (though not intentionally). It was on MST3K but is considerably better than the standard fare they get, though it starts off way too slow before turning into a decent, atmospheric horror of sorts.

6/10

Didn't even realise it was a prequel until the credits. That spaceship pish was just [emoji38]. I think they forgot they were not remaking AvP.
Norwegians would always be better fun than Americans over an Antarctic winter. Better music for a start. [emoji6]
Just remembered something - the SFX team were so pissed about their work being CGI'd over, they raised money to make a film of their own to show off their skills. It was called Harbinger Down.

Unfortunately, it was a big pile of shite, but God loves a trier

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Loved it. Easily the best of the prequel/sequel 6, and I'd even be tempted to put it above ROTJ.

As an aside, every time I see the trailer for Cats, it looks even shitter, and makes me even less inclined to see it. No surprise to see it is taking pelters from the critics.

What's everyone's top films of 2019 (i.e., films released in 2019 in the UK, that you've actually seen in 2019)? I'm not likely to see any more 2019 releases until 2020, so they won't count.

To be honest, I don't feel like I've seen that many films this year - certainly compared to previous years - and there's a raft of films I didn't get a chance to see. The Rise Of Skywalker was probably my most enjoyable film experience of the year, but isn't the best film I've seen.

My top four (because they stand out by a distance over any fifth choice), in no particular order:

1. Eighth Grade
  2. Marriage Story
  3. Burning
  4. Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood

Her Smell (2019):

A film that for around 90 minutes, makes you observe an ongoing meltdown that you feel guilty about watching but can't look away from because it's so damn compelling.

Elisabeth Moss' performance is so wonderfully bat-shit craaaaaazy (and tragic) for that period, and she's backed up by editing and camera-work that I'd be annoyed at for not giving a clear depiction of what's going on if it wasn't so deliberately done to disorient the audience. The monologues she's given really allow her to ramp up the madness in that time too, as well as a score that regularly thumps in the background - although I never actually discovered whether it was in-film music from the stages above or the score itself.

The final 45 goes from kind of serene yet devastating, to having you on tenterhooks for a very different reason from the tension of the of the first 90 mins. It made me care for a character I kind of hated at the beginning (but the seeds of sympathy were still laid).

I really can't see past Avengers: Endgame as my favourite movie of 2019, purely because of how I felt watching it. I can't ever remember being so immersed in a movie in my life, and since the point of a movie is to entertain, and nothing entertained me as much as this, then it's my #1.