What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

6 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Watched Watchmen last night. Been meaning to watch it almost since it came out but never had. Quite a strange film I thought in that it started excellently (the opening credits are a bit of a masterpiece imo) and just steadily went from great to good to ok to awful as the film went on.

I love the opening credits of that film, genuinely one of the main reasons I'll watch it when it's on. Enjoyable film until it becomes a mess.

30 minutes ago, moniton said:

Stan and Ollie- an absolute delight, John C Reilly and Steve Coogan should have got oscars 8/10

Agreed. One of the best movies I’ve seen this year. 

Godzilla 2: Godzilla Harder - an eco-terrorist group decides to wake up all the big monsters for shits and giggles.

This was very poor. What little plot there is, is terrible, and the characters are stupendously dull archetypes delivering cliched dialogue. Naturally, the main point is the big CGI lizard, but unfortunately the bulk of the film is, once again, discussions between tedious cookie-cutter humans that nobody gives a shit about.

There are some gorgeous individual shots in this, though - you'd swear they storyboarded some striking visuals they wanted to include, then allowed the crew's kids to sketch together a script using those elements. Oh, and I could be wrong about this, but does Ice Cube's son actually interact with any of the main characters at any point? I swear they added his scenes in later. There's a bit towards the end where he talks to somebody, but they're never in the same shot, so his dialogue could've originally been spoken by someone else. Very odd.

9 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Godzilla 2: Godzilla Harder - an eco-terrorist group decides to wake up all the big monsters for shits and giggles.

This was very poor. What little plot there is, is terrible, and the characters are stupendously dull archetypes delivering cliched dialogue. Naturally, the main point is the big CGI lizard, but unfortunately the bulk of the film is, once again, discussions between tedious cookie-cutter humans that nobody gives a shit about.

There are some gorgeous individual shots in this, though - you'd swear they storyboarded some striking visuals they wanted to include, then allowed the crew's kids to sketch together a script using those elements. Oh, and I could be wrong about this, but does Ice Cube's son actually interact with any of the main characters at any point? I swear they added his scenes in later. There's a bit towards the end where he talks to somebody, but they're never in the same shot, so his dialogue could've originally been spoken by someone else. Very odd.

Also the big lizard lad kept getting his arse kicked.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Also the big lizard lad kept getting his arse kicked.

That tends to be the problem with these things. Big lad has to get knocked about by bigger lad, before making a comeback by discovering that all he needed was to believe in himself, or that teamwork overcomes all obstacles, or that he's incubating the world's largest nuclear reactor and can dissolve pretty much anything he fancies with radiation.

Another thing I didn't like was that they kept tipping the wink that the big lad knew about the humans and what they were up to, and that he gave a shit (other than that the planet is suffering). The continuing delusion that humanity had to decide whether or not to destroy the monsters was bizarre too, as if the ants are all running about debating whether or not to finally take down those pesky humans with their kettles full of boiling water.

Some spectacular shots for turning into posters tho...

Spoiler

Ghidora-Banner-from-Godzilla-King-of-the

Also, I've still no idea how Godzilla vs Kong is going to be anything other than 119 minutes of exposition, and shots of the two big lads making their way to Madison Square Garden, followed by the fastest slapdown in history.

Are they going to hobble the big green lad by exposing him to Kryptonite or something?

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

That tends to be the problem with these things. Big lad has to get knocked about by bigger lad, before making a comeback by discovering that all he needed was to believe in himself, or that teamwork overcomes all obstacles, or that he's incubating the world's largest nuclear reactor and can dissolve pretty much anything he fancies with radiation.

Another thing I didn't like was that they kept tipping the wink that the big lad knew about the humans and what they were up to, and that he gave a shit (other than that the planet is suffering). The continuing delusion that humanity had to decide whether or not to destroy the monsters was bizarre too, as if the ants are all running about debating whether or not to finally take down those pesky humans with their kettles full of boiling water.

Some spectacular shots for turning into posters tho...

Hide contents

Ghidora-Banner-from-Godzilla-King-of-the

Yup. 

Also the maw was incredibly stupid. What did she think was going to happen when they woke up big mental monsters?!

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Also, I've still no idea how Godzilla vs Kong is going to be anything other than 119 minutes of exposition, and shots of the two big lads making their way to Madison Square Garden, followed by the fastest slapdown in history.

Are they going to hobble the big green lad by exposing him to Kryptonite or something?

Aye that will be nonsense. Kong is tiny compared to Godzilla. Will Godzilla be shrunk in the wash or something? Will half the movie be an intense Kong training montage where he massively bulks up? Actually I'd love to see a Rocky IV style training montage featuring the two monsters.

Most of the supposed Godzilla interaction with humans wasn't much of an interaction at all. The only part where I was like "what the f**k?" was in the submarine.

The humans... fucking hell. See, I liked the human element in the first one. But it's like they listened to the moaning of "NOT ENOUGH MONSTERS!!!" and decided to not give much of a f**k about making any sense of the humans in this one, which was a shame. That said, I only really wanted to see shit get smashed up too, but was it too much to want to see a bit of both?

The human element in the first Godzilla...well, the first American Godzilla that didn't star Matthew Broderick...was good, right up until the point that

Spoiler

they killed the lad from Breaking Bad.

I couldn't have given a tinker's cuss about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. She was wasted in that film; what a non-character.

They need to take some lessons from Toho - Shin Godzilla's dialogue was a bit dry, and the characters probably lost a bit in translation from another culture, but it still widdled all over the US films. And the stuff with the supposedly Japanese-American lassie was unintentionally amusing.

The Man Who Killed Hitler and then Bigfoot

I watched this last night on Netflix and thought it was a decent idea and the character that Sam Elliot plays was an interesting one but the Bigfoot part is so bizarre and out of place it’s unreal. The last 30 minutes especially are so oddly cut together it makes your head hurt.

I’ll give it a 6/10 though cause I did laugh at how weird it was.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The human element in the first Godzilla...well, the first American Godzilla that didn't star Matthew Broderick...was good, right up until the point that

Reveal hidden contents

they killed the lad from Breaking Bad.

I couldn't have given a tinker's cuss about Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. She was wasted in that film; what a non-character.

They need to take some lessons from Toho - Shin Godzilla's dialogue was a bit dry, and the characters probably lost a bit in translation from another culture, but it still widdled all over the US films. And the stuff with the supposedly Japanese-American lassie was unintentionally amusing.

To be fair, Olsen's use is a bad point in a very solid movie.

Shin Godzilla is magnificent but aimed at a totally different audience so don't really want to use it as a comparison point.

Widows.  I really enjoyed it, it's got a great writer (Gillian Flynn)  and director (Steve McQueen) and a great cast (Viola Davis, Elizabth Debicki, Colin Farrell) so it was always going to be pretty good.  

Plot follows the widows of a team of bank robbers who have to carry out a heist to pay off the man who their husbands stole millions of dollars from.  It's based on a 1980s TV series by Lynda La Plante and while it has convential heist movie structure it's got more going on than movies of that ilk - there's a lot about the racial dynamics of Chicago, as well as the same tensions in the relationships of the characters.  Also, unavoidably, there's a great deal about the different expectations and struggles of women compared to men and how this can be used to the advantage or disadvantage of women - Debicki's character is particularly interesting in this regard.

On 21/08/2019 at 23:31, Flybhoy said:

I'm probably in a minority but Inglorious Basterds is my favourite film of his, fucking chilling and at the same time brilliantly camp performance from Christoph Waltz in it, superb turns from Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Melanie Laurent 😍 and Diane Krueger as well 😍😍

The opening scene with Hans Landa and the suspense as you slowly realise he has rumbled the French farmer is one of his finest ever in my opinion.

Going back a wee bit in the thread - Inglorious Basterds is my favourite Tarantino film as well. I seem to remember there being a bit of outrage at the time about its insensitivity, but I loved it and thought it had a little bit of everything; great characters, drama, suspense, and even a bit of comedy. It's pretty much summed up perfectly by the opening scene which is both brilliant and harrowing in equal measure, and Waltz is superb throughout.

Saw Once Upon A Time In Hollywood a few weeks ago, and I'd have to echo most of the posts about it from a few pages back on here. A wee bit slow-building in parts, but ultimately a good watch. You can't really go wrong with DiCaprio or Brad Pitt, and I thought the latter stole the show. Agreed that the Sharon Tate parts weren't great, but we got to spend a decent amount of time looking at Margot Robbie so that can be forgiven.

Happy Death Day 2U -- Finally got round to seeing this sequel to Happy Death Day, an unexpected delight a couple of years ago blending a teen slasher movie with Groundhog Day. The sequel is, perhaps, more fun than the original and introduces multiple dimensions and timelines into the mix, but lacks some of the gorier moments. That said, it gets its story told in an hour and a half. Plus Jessica Rothe. 7.5/10.