What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Finally got back into my film kick, saw a few notable films for the first time:

Apocalypse Now - Saw the Final Cut in the cinema for its 40th anniversary. Worth all the hype it's gotten over the years, as it's the Aguirre, the Wrath of God for more modern warfare. 9/10

Brazil - Nineteen Eighty-Four but with a sense of humour. Very bizarre and thought-provoking film. 8/10

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - Finally seen all the Mad Max films, and considering Fury Road is my favourite film it was high time that I did. Pretty fun film, cheesy as hell and while clearly flawed at times didn't take me out of enjoying another folk tale about the Robin Hood of the apocalypse. 7/10

Up next on the watchlist - Darren Aronofsky's Requiem for a Dream... or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood if I go to a cinema before then.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Thumbs leaning slightly up here. The big finale was great fun. The performances were great. Especially DiCaprio in one of the scenes where he's shooting his latest US TV role. Almost everything involving Cliff on his own was worth watching. Almost everything involving Sharon was... not. Rick's were a bit of a mixed bag. Rick and Cliff together was my favourite thing in the movie. Just a great on screen friendship.

My big complaint is that it drags, and by f**k, does it drag, and it brings the score down considerably.

6/10

Mandy

If John Wick was a reclusive former alcoholic getting revenge on a hippie cult, also John Wick is Nicholas Cage. Takes a little too long to get going and there's some hefty misogyny when it come to the cult but visually and aurally this is great. Cage goes full Cage and it works.

Solac

Plodding psychic helps FBI thriller. A yawnfest.

4/10

Once Upon a time in Hollywood

Some really good performances. As mentioned, Di Caprio when he is messing up his lines and Pitt when he is at the commune are stand outs. The relationship between the two was believable and worked really well, while the whole Sharon Tait subplot where she goes to the pictures was shite. Dunno if that was something profound that I was supposed to pick up on but it just seemed dull.

The big finale was outstanding and overall a good film, which despite the aforementioned dull segments, never seemed to drag on too much.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Thought DiCaprio and Pitt were on top form again, the former just gets better with age. The scenes with Sharon Tate in them were mostly pointless.  Did anyone else just sit waiting for the Manson family to show up after we saw Charles scoping the place early doors?

The driving scene with Hush by Deep Purple was great.

As with every Tarantino film, it was half an hour too long, but still an enjoyable watch.

7 pon 10.

13 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Once Upon a time in Hollywood

Some really good performances. As mentioned, Di Caprio when he is messing up his lines and Pitt when he is at the commune are stand outs. The relationship between the two was believable and worked really well, while the whole Sharon Tait subplot where she goes to the pictures was shite. Dunno if that was something profound that I was supposed to pick up on but it just seemed dull.

The big finale was outstanding and overall a good film, which despite the aforementioned dull segments, never seemed to drag on too much.

What I took from the scene with her watching "herself" onscreen was the audience reaction to her character.  The laughter at the jokes and her performance showed that they liked her.  I think it was supposed to show that she was on the way to becoming a real star.

That was my take, anyway.

59 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

What I took from the scene with her watching "herself" onscreen was the audience reaction to her character.  The laughter at the jokes and her performance showed that they liked her.  I think it was supposed to show that she was on the way to becoming a real star.

Mine too.

The scene watching the film was nice, I just felt it lasted a while longer than it had to.

1 hour ago, paul-r-cfc said:

The scene watching the film was nice, I just felt it lasted a while longer than it had to.

To be honest, there was a few scenes that fall into that category.  He's never been one to tightly edit his films.  Reservoir Dogs and maybe Pulp Fiction are the only ones I can think of that are immune. 

Edited by KnightswoodBear

To be honest, there was a few scenes that fall into that category.  He's never been one to tightly edit his films.  Reservoir Dogs and maybe Pulp Fiction are the only ones I can think of that are immune. 
Granted I was 14 when I originally watched it, but I felt that way about Inglorious Basterds. Some of the dialogue scenes just never seemed to end.

14 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I'd include Jackie Brown in that but it was from an Elmore Leonard book so the dialogue would have been tight from the start.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd include Jackie Brown in that but it was from an Elmore Leonard book so the dialogue would have been tight from the start.

Yeah, JB is long, but nothing feels superfluous.

Jackie Brown is his best picture, right?  Everyone agrees on that?

18 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Yeah, JB is long, but nothing feels superfluous.

Jackie Brown is his best picture, right?  Everyone agrees on that?

I'd say so, though Pulp Fiction was up there. Amazed to see it was 2.5 hours, didn't seem like that.