What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

10 hours ago, Warren Mears said:

Are we really asking why E.T. was a bigger than The Thing?! Regardless of opinions, it should be plainly obvious which of the two would appeal to the masses more.

Reminds me of the joke from the time:

Q: How do you know that ET is a Catholic?
A: Because he looks like one.

(I didn't say it was a good joke.)

On 27/07/2019 at 15:15, Armand 2 said:

Yesterday - 3/10

My mum is a big Beatles fan so I'd earmarked this to take her to.  By the time it finished, it felt like it fucking started Yesterday. The boy playing Jack  is not a film actor in a million years, certainly not as a lead. I harboured a little hope that it might have been a bit like Love Actually but it was pretty dire, paint-by-number stuff.  

Yeah my mum made her first visit to the cinema for years with her pal to watch this being 1960s Beatles fans. Said much the same, the lead actor was rubbish and the plot reminded her of dodgy comedy Goodnight Sweetheart, when a character played by Nicholas Lyndhurst finds a way to go back in time and plays some Beatles songs in a pub during WW2. She wasn't a big fan of the show but preferred it to Yesterday.

Squirm

Via MST3K then I've watched the sections they cut. Too decent to be on MST3K to be honest, other than Mike and the bots making fun of dumb southern accents. Honestly a solidly made creature feature.

6.5/10

Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood
Typical Tarantino, really. There are four main strands to the story, made up of several individual moments that are mostly interesting enough in and of themselves. Pinned together into a more reaching arc, it's maybe a bit less satisfying and as with most Tarantino movies, it's at least 45 minutes too long. Great performances from Leonardo Di Caprio and Brad Pitt, it looks and sounds amazing, and the ending is fucked up. 7/10.

Agree with all of this, especially the length. I’d give it an 8 though, purely because I found myself laughing at the pool scene towards the end...

Coco

Got watching this on a bus in Guatemala, which promptly broke down halfway through the film. Picked it up on DVD and finally got it finished today.

Probably my favourite Pixar flick, which is saying something of course. Animation incredible as always, made more impressive by the skeleton characters and outstanding setting in the Land of the Dead. Really nice story with a satisfying conclusion and some banging tunes into the bargain. A film that I will return to regularly.

B-Movie: Lust and Sound in West Berlin 1979-1989

This is a feature length documentary about a guy called Mark Reeder who moved from Manchester to Berlin in the late '70s and immersed himself in the avant garde music scene. I'd never heard of him before but he's a pretty interesting fellah who's led a colourful life. There's some good choons  on the soundtrack and loads of grainy super 8 footage of punks and goths hanging around in Kreuzberg. 

Overall it's a decent time capsule of a particular time and place and well worth checking out if you're interested in music scenes and subcultures.

8/10

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

It was long but I could have sat there and watched it again, it's so rammed with detail and little nods to this and that. It's stuff we've seen from him before - revisionist history, great looking, great soundtrack. Not a massive amount happens. It's more a case of getting to spend some time with Brad Pitt, Di Caprio, Margot Robbie. Saw a couple of folk walk out and I can understand it won't be for everyone as it's long and not a huge amount happens. 

I heard Robbie Collin say the other day that every time you watch a Tarantino film it becomes your favourite Tarantino film and I'd agree in this case. Doesn't have the plot of Jackie Brown (which was an Elmore Leonard book) and won't have the cultural impact of Pulp Fiction or the iconic images of Kill Bill but it's a fantastic bit of work. 

9/10

It was long but I could have sat there and watched it again, it's so rammed with detail and little nods to this and that. It's stuff we've seen from him before - revisionist history, great looking, great soundtrack. Not a massive amount happens. It's more a case of getting to spend some time with Brad Pitt, Di Caprio, Margot Robbie. Saw a couple of folk walk out and I can understand it won't be for everyone as it's long and not a huge amount happens. 
I heard Robbie Collin say the other day that every time you watch a Tarantino film it becomes your favourite Tarantino film and I'd agree in this case. Doesn't have the plot of Jackie Brown (which was an Elmore Leonard book) and won't have the cultural impact of Pulp Fiction or the iconic images of Kill Bill but it's a fantastic bit of work. 
9/10

I'd change that statement "to every time you watch a Tarantino film if becomes your favourite Tarantino film... for the first couple of hours".

I've not seen OUATIH yet, and I'm actually quite looking forward to it, but I've still got that feeling that after an amazing two hours, it'll just descend into being dull, in love with itself and self-indulgent.

9/10

I’m just back from seeing it and I completely agree. Apart from the last 20 minutes (completely fucking mental btw) nothing else really happens. It’s just Tarantino showing us 3 different characters during that time period in the film industry.

It’s definitely not my favourite Tarantino film but I’d say it’s completely different to anything he’s done before so for reason, and the whole Bruce Lee bit, I really enjoyed it.

11 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I'd change that statement "to every time you watch a Tarantino film if becomes your favourite Tarantino film... for the first couple of hours".

I've not seen OUATIH yet, and I'm actually quite looking forward to it, but I've still got that feeling that after an amazing two hours, it'll just descend into being dull, in love with itself and self-indulgent.

There’s definitely scope to get pissed off at it! There are nods to things like Easy Rider, nods to most of his own films, nods to other films the actors have been in, plus there’s a big theme of mirror images going on. Certainly worth checking out and certainly plenty of folk will think “what was this pish I just watched?”. 

Blinded by the Light

Really enjoyed this. Obviously has a cracking soundtrack, but the story is something I'm sure a lot of people will be able to relate to in some way, with a lot of difficult subjects handled carefully.

It's the kind of film Yesterday should have been.

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 08:46, Shandon Par said:

9/10

I'm going tonight and really looking forward to it. I'm pretty much obsessed by the whole 'Counter Culture' in the US around 1966-70, music, films, art etc so i'm hoping the style over substance won't be an issue too much for me, but can see why it would for others. 

2 minutes ago, fuzzydunlop said:

I'm going tonight and really looking forward to it. I'm pretty much obsessed by the whole 'Counter Culture' in the US around 1966-70, music, films, art etc so i'm hoping the style over substance won't be an issue too much for me, but can see why it would for others. 

Should be right up your street in that case! 

I went to see Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood last night. 

It's ridiculously self-indulgent, to the point where you can see the line marked "parody" without ever quite crossing it, and it's a fairly unconventional Tarantino film for the most part. But I loved it - it's thoroughly enjoyable, very funny, and it is the best film he's done since Jackie Brown.

It worked a lot more for me than anything else he's done since Kill Bill

Annabelle Comes Home

With the first Annabelle being pish, and the second one being really good, I suppose it's fitting that this one kinda lands in the middle. There's a good sense of fun about a lot of it which kind of makes it easier to watch than it could have been. Waaaayyyyy too much "here, we might scare you here" stuff. That sort of thing can be okay when it's used sparingly but it's far from that here. There's a single shot where they do it four times which is overkill. When it actually decides to bring the horror, it can be quite effective, and the last half hour is pretty good.

6/10

Edited by Warren Mears

43 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Once upon a time in Hollywood. Not got much more to say than what’s been said. If you like dirty feet you will really love this movie 7/10.

Tarantino is a bit of a foot fetish nut, there are drawn out scenes with leading ladies feet getting a lot of coverage from, in my recollection Kill Bill 1 &2, Deathproof, Inglorious Basterds and in OUATIH.

Just in from the cinema after watching it, as alluded to I think it could have had a good half hour or so trimmed off it but, other than that it ticks the boxes for me, Pitt and Di Caprio are superb with an excellent cameo too from Kurt Russell. 

One scene I thought that was simply done but brilliantly so was Margot Robbie, as Sharon Tate watching her own movie in the cinema amongst an unwitting audience, the child like delight she takes at watching her own scenes and gauging the audience reaction is very poignant and beautiful.

As also touched on, the ending is brilliantly dark, comic and fucked up, as he re writes history purely for the purposes of his movie, in a similar way to the end of Inglorious Basterds,  thoroughly enjoyed it, 8/10.