What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

47 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
3 hours ago, pozbaird said:
Just watched ‘The Game’ on BluRay which I spotted for £4 in a Braehead HMV bargain bin. (Michael Douglas / Sean Penn, 1997). Had it on an old DVD and always loved this movie. The BluRay quality is fantastic. It had been so long since I last watched it that I had forgotten many of the twists. Won’t spoil it by mentioning them here - in case anyone hasn’t seen ‘The Game’ and fancies a top notch BluRay for £4 - there was one copy still in HMVs bargain bin at Braehead yesterday....
For anyone who has seen the movie - like me, do you love it, or maybe hate it? Had a read back at reviews from the time, and it did seem to be a ‘marmite’ movie. Reviewers kept comparing it to Fincher’s ‘Seven’, (in quality that is, not in plot or premise), but Michael Douglas received almost universal praise for his performance. Anyway, with this pristine BluRay giving it new life, has re-inforced my opinion that it remains one of my all-time favourites. Could (like many movies) pick holes in the plot, or regard the entire premise as ridiculous, but there’s many great movies with a ridiculous basic premise. All the good Bond movies for a start!

You forgot your rating!

I’ll give it an 8 out of 10, 4 stars out of 5. 😀

Iron Sky: The Coming Race

I didn't love the first Iron Sky as much as I wanted to, but this starts going into aliens, hollow earth and other stupid ideas that are almost an insult to your intelligence. Got one laugh with the security officer in his lucky red shirt, but other than that, absolutely dreadful in every way. Throws in countless Steve Jobs jokes that are just not funny at any point.

1/10

8 hours ago, Comrie said:

Iron Sky: The Coming Race

I didn't love the first Iron Sky as much as I wanted to, but this starts going into aliens, hollow earth and other stupid ideas that are almost an insult to your intelligence. Got one laugh with the security officer in his lucky red shirt, but other than that, absolutely dreadful in every way. Throws in countless Steve Jobs jokes that are just not funny at any point.

1/10

I liked the first one. A lot. This one? Nope. Non. No. Nadda.

Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood

Typical Tarantino, really. There are four main strands to the story, made up of several individual moments that are mostly interesting enough in and of themselves. Pinned together into a more reaching arc, it's maybe a bit less satisfying and as with most Tarantino movies, it's at least 45 minutes too long. Great performances from Leonardo Di Caprio and Brad Pitt, it looks and sounds amazing, and the ending is fucked up. 7/10.

Fast and Furious: Hobbs and Shaw:-

Even if you suspend all disbelief and treat this film for what it is, a stupidly over the top action movie it’s still pretty bad. It’s far too long as someone else said here it’s not that funny and a lot of the jokes didn’t land. The 2 leads play their role well but Idris Elba and the woman aren’t great. If you like guns and stuff you’d enjoy it. 3/10.

Drop Dead Fred

Umm... I used to love this, so I think that bumps up the score somewhat. But there's so many annoying aspects to this and Rik Mayall is insufferable a lot of the time. To be fair, he does reel out the odd cracker but good god. 

I'll go thumbs in the middle because I still get some joy from it but man, it's not a good movie.

5/10

9 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Hot Shots!

10/10 for reminding me of Valeria Golino, the woman of my dreams in my early youth. emoji7.png

valeria-golino.jpg

Tom Cruise definitely punching above his height weight in Rain Man.

Invasion of the Neptune Men

Watching MST3K for some laughs, this is a bad film. A really bad film with some Conehead looking aliens bumbling around doing nothing while Sonny Chiba jumps around kicking them before repetitive stock footage space battles take place.

2/10

MSTK riff: 8/10

Crimson Peak (2015)

A gothic horror from Guillermo del Toro, a visual feast for the eyes like only he can do at times. Brilliantly detailed sets.

Young, rich 19th Century American heiress chooses nasty shyster over childhood boyfriend & relocates to England with him and his evil sister   *fnaar

There is an incredibly violent scene reminiscent of the famous 'bite the kerb scene' in American History X.

Wouldn't usually choose this type of movie, recorded it for the missus to watch, but to be honest it was pretty decent, if a bit predictable.

6.5/10

Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse

We are lucky enough to live in the time of Nicholas Cage as Spiderman Noir. We are the blessed ones.

10/10

The Thing. (Not the good intented prequel The Thing). How this film was comprehensively outsold at the box office by that ET sh*t I never know. Did people really decide that they had only one trip to the pictures that year and it was a toss up? I would like to know how the marketing went, was Carpenter's film actually sacrificed for the bigger budget and feel good Spielberg?

Holmes and Watson -10/10

OMfuckingG.
Lad in the house put this on, I lasted maybe 10 minutes, mostly on here, but even that wasn’t enough to stop me leaving the room because there were sharp objects and I may have poked my eyes out.

WTF is this shite?

Holmes and Watson -10/10

OMfuckingG.
Lad in the house put this on, I lasted maybe 10 minutes, mostly on here, but even that wasn’t enough to stop me leaving the room because there were sharp objects and I may have poked my eyes out.

WTF is this shite?

Awfy generous with your scoring there.