What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Stephen Seagal hard to kill.

Hard to watch. Only decent bit was kelly le brock asking if he wanted some pussy then she pulled out a kitten.
Hahaha dats da joke

Pride has just shown up on iPlayer. For those who haven't seen it:

1. Why the fúck not?

2. Watch it. Now. Stop whatever you're doing. Just watch it.

3. Keep some tissues ready for the Bread and Roses scene. Or watch alone.

It will probably seem like a weird historical document to you youngsters, but fúck me it brings back some memories. (*wipes eyes with hem of Orgreave campaign t-shirt*)

Been to the cinema twice in the last few weeks. 

Toy Story 4 - 9/10

When the last Toy Story came out, I remember thinking that maybe I was a bit too old to enjoy it - but subsequently loved it. Despite that, I felt the same way about this one but got roped into going. Wouldn't you know it, I loved it. Great way to unplug from adulting for an hour or so.

Yesterday - 3/10

My mum is a big Beatles fan so I'd earmarked this to take her to.  By the time it finished, it felt like it fucking started Yesterday. The boy playing Jack  is not a film actor in a million years, certainly not as a lead. I harboured a little hope that it might have been a bit like Love Actually but it was pretty dire, paint-by-number stuff.  

Haven't summoned the courage to go and see Midsommar. Hereditary was actually a really disturbing film, I still find myself thinking about it occasionally. From the trailers, I don't think Midsommar is any different.

52 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Yesterday - 3/10

My mum is a big Beatles fan so I'd earmarked this to take her to.  By the time it finished, it felt like it fucking started Yesterday. The boy playing Jack  is not a film actor in a million years, certainly not as a lead. I harboured a little hope that it might have been a bit like Love Actually but it was pretty dire, paint-by-number stuff.  

But did she like it?

Philadelphia 

Had never seen this before. Was on the tv last week. It won the Oscar for best film at the time and out of context it would seem surprising as it's like a mid-90s made for American TV movie. I suppose at the time it was tackling "tough" issues for Hollywood. AIDS - and very bad AIDS at that - Tom Hanks and Antonio Banderas playing a gay couple. 

The politics of it seemed a bit odd. It seemed to be explicitly repeatedly saying "Yes, we all hate fags, but a law has been broken here and the law respects even fags". The dialogue at times could have been dropped into South Park.

Biggest surprise was seeing how short Antonio Banderas is. He must stand on a box in his films now as in a few scenes everyone, including normal height ladies, were towering over him. 

Strangely, the race politics was much less troubling. Denzel Washington is a black lawyer and is shown to be a totally normal guy (normal in that he repeatedly spews homophobic bile). It was colour-blind in the way that so much coming out of America isn't any more. 

Really good performance from Tom Hanks though but overall it was more interesting as a snapshot of American opinion at the time rather than a great film in its own right. 

22 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Philadelphia 

Had never seen this before. Was on the tv last week. It won the Oscar for best film at the time and out of context it would seem surprising as it's like a mid-90s made for American TV movie. I suppose at the time it was tackling "tough" issues for Hollywood. AIDS - and very bad AIDS at that - Tom Hanks and Antonio Banderas playing a gay couple. 

The politics of it seemed a bit odd. It seemed to be explicitly repeatedly saying "Yes, we all hate fags, but a law has been broken here and the law respects even fags". The dialogue at times could have been dropped into South Park.

Biggest surprise was seeing how short Antonio Banderas is. He must stand on a box in his films now as in a few scenes everyone, including normal height ladies, were towering over him. 

Strangely, the race politics was much less troubling. Denzel Washington is a black lawyer and is shown to be a totally normal guy (normal in that he repeatedly spews homophobic bile). It was colour-blind in the way that so much coming out of America isn't any more. 

Really good performance from Tom Hanks though but overall it was more interesting as a snapshot of American opinion at the time rather than a great film in its own right. 

I'm going to disagree with you here. I saw this film a few months ago and it still gets to me. Remember - this was made not long after the government was pushing "AIDS is death" adverts. Hell, a decade before this, AIDS was called GRID!

Anyway, I thought it was a tremendous movie. At the time it was utterly groundbreaking, and I think it stands up to the test of time.

Hanks was outstanding throughout.

The Lion King (new version)

4/10

Beigetastic. Any review of this film deserves to be scathing. It’s like Disney aren’t even trying anymore. “Give the project to the work experience kid, I’m going to the pub.”

The trailer for this film was excellent, which just added to my dissatisfaction with the film.

I watched it at Dunfermline Odeon. For some reason, instead of the usual situation, where just before the film starts, the screen extends to widescreen for the full cinematic experience, the screen stayed the same size. Not sure if this was Dunfermline Odeon’s fault or if the film wasn’t in widescreen format. The seats need a good clean too. Definite fusty smell coming from them.

Several key lines from the original animated version were cut and this took any depth of feeling out of the film. Then there’s the lack of dancing animals, which though understandable, made my kids like this film less than the original.

The best bits were the fleeting bits of originality, where they hadn’t just badly copied bits of the animated version.

In summary, f**k Disney and possibly f**k Dunfermline Odeon.

The Lion King (new version)

4/10

I watched it at Dunfermline Odeon. For some reason, instead of the usual situation, where just before the film starts, the screen extends to widescreen for the full cinematic experience, the screen stayed the same size.

Yeah, unfortunately a flat film rather than a scope one so that’ll be why. Was the same when I watched it at my local cinema.

Hobbs & Shaw

Exactly what you expect from these films, ridiculously enjoyable nonsense. The leads were great, it maybe wasnt as funny as it thought it was but id happily go see the sequel. Nice to see a glamorous car chase in glasgow too rather than neds on bikes.

7.5/10

Just watched ‘The Game’ on BluRay which I spotted for £4 in a Braehead HMV bargain bin. (Michael Douglas / Sean Penn, 1997). Had it on an old DVD and always loved this movie. The BluRay quality is fantastic. It had been so long since I last watched it that I had forgotten many of the twists. Won’t spoil it by mentioning them here - in case anyone hasn’t seen ‘The Game’ and fancies a top notch BluRay for £4 - there was one copy still in HMVs bargain bin at Braehead yesterday....

For anyone who has seen the movie - like me, do you love it, or maybe hate it? Had a read back at reviews from the time, and it did seem to be a ‘marmite’ movie. Reviewers kept comparing it to Fincher’s ‘Seven’, (in quality that is, not in plot or premise), but Michael Douglas received almost universal praise for his performance. Anyway, with this pristine BluRay giving it new life, has re-inforced my opinion that it remains one of my all-time favourites. Could (like many movies) pick holes in the plot, or regard the entire premise as ridiculous, but there’s many great movies with a ridiculous basic premise. All the good Bond movies for a start!

Edited by pozbaird

Just watched ‘The Game’ on BluRay which I spotted for £4 in a Braehead HMV bargain bin. (Michael Douglas / Sean Penn, 1997). Had it on an old DVD and always loved this movie. The BluRay quality is fantastic. It had been so long since I last watched it that I had forgotten many of the twists. Won’t spoil it by mentioning them here - in case anyone hasn’t seen ‘The Game’ and fancies a top notch BluRay for £4 - there was one copy still in HMVs bargain bin at Braehead yesterday....
For anyone who has seen the movie - like me, do you love it, or maybe hate it? Had a read back at reviews from the time, and it did seem to be a ‘marmite’ movie. Reviewers kept comparing it to Fincher’s ‘Seven’, (in quality that is, not in plot or premise), but Michael Douglas received almost universal praise for his performance. Anyway, with this pristine BluRay giving it new life, has re-inforced my opinion that it remains one of my all-time favourites. Could (like many movies) pick holes in the plot, or regard the entire premise as ridiculous, but there’s many great movies with a ridiculous basic premise. All the good Bond movies for a start!
You forgot your rating!