What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

6 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

I went last Friday and felt exactly the same.  Great idea and always good hearing Dem Beatles loud!  I also liked the fact that it tackled the fact that with the way music moves so fast these days, the 'meh' reaction he got from some people.  Especially the scene with his parents/neighbour -that was pretty spot on.  If someone did write something as good today would anyone realsie it or would we all be too quick to criticise/ignore?

But I did feel there could have been more. My wife thinks its because i'm such a  big Beatles fan I was probably looking for more than most.  Wasn't keen on Sheeran getting involved at every opportunity but I guess it wouldn't have worked if he wasn't. Just uneasy he got so many of his songs in there too.

Went today and as a mature Beatles fan I did enjoy hearing the songs as well. It had a feel good nature and although you did wonder about how the two people had their back story, and the Lennon bit was an effort to tie it all up, but it was a very enjoyable day out for me and the wife. Well worth 4.99 each! I did not mind the Sheeran bits and I did like the Rocky actor.  There was  a trailer for a Springsteen type film in September to look forward to.

10 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Went today and as a mature Beatles fan I did enjoy hearing the songs as well.

Must still be half asleep. I initially read that as "a miniature Beatles fan"...

Nico, 1988

ignores nico's nazi sympathies and racism but she's a tortured soul so it's ok

the girl gets her bang on though so fair play

4/10

11 hours ago, GordonD said:

Must still be half asleep. I initially read that as "a miniature Beatles fan"...

Still the same height as I was at Beatles peak before Yoko did for us all, despite my advancing tears. Listened to the soundtrack on I Tunes but it was not loud enough so will stick to the originals.

On 16/07/2019 at 09:40, Warren Mears said:

Yesterday

1/10

Fucking hell.

I'd seen trailers and Danny Boyle's name mentioned but felt something was deeply wrong. Then I realised it was actually a Richard Curtis film and it all made sense. 

The Matrix (20th anniversary in 4k)
Never got to see this film at the cinema  at the time of release and great to see it on the big screen and one to see in 4k for sure. Stands up nicely over the test of time. The sequels more the 2nd were decent but the original is cracking film in its own right and bits of CGI back then actually blend in better than many modern day films. Not sure what it would have been like if Will Smith took the role. 
Wiki wiki wah wah One, I'm the One.

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

That's not a sentence you often hear.

I try to be less dark-hearted these days but Richard Curtis films are a step too far. I just want Harry to drive his bin lorry through the church, PM office, Hampstead cafe or wherever they are. 

Wild (2014) 

Reese Witherspoon tries to come to terms with losing her mother to cancer, her marriage failing & being on a downward spiral of drugs, booze and sex, by walking the 1000+ mile Pacific Crest Trail from Southern California up to the Canadian border.

Based on a true story, it's a decent enough film about someone trying to understand their life. There's lots of flashbacks during the hike, telling her story.

A variety of characters are met on the way, the scenery is superb too.

Enjoyed it.

7/10

The Lion King

Cards on the table- the animated version is one of my favourite films so this was always going to be a tricky one.  I also won’t bother with spoilers because if you haven’t seen the original by now, you’ve wasted your life.

The daylight scenes are absolutely stunning. You could stick an Attenborough commentary over them and resell it as a documentary, and Disney should probably at least approach him for the dvd release. The darker scenes, including the final battle, were a bit too dark for me. I know it’s supposed to be night, but I found it tough to work out who was who when Scar and Simba were fighting. 

Everything else I was fairly happy with, other than Timon’s voice, which I found a bit grating. 

Decent enough film- like Aladdin, I suspect if you saw this before the animated version, you’d rate it really high. 

Diego Maradona

Fantastic film I really enjoyed it despite knowing almost nothing about his time at Napoli which the film focuses on. Will be on Film4 at some point if you miss it in the cinema.

9/10

31 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Diego Maradona

Fantastic film I really enjoyed it despite knowing almost nothing about his time at Napoli which the film focuses on. Will be on Film4 at some point if you miss it in the cinema.

9/10

Where did you see it?

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Where did you see it?

Filmhouse in Edinburgh not sure if it's run has ended there, if it has worth keeping and eye out for on TV. I hadn't seen any other films like it (Senna or Amy) but it was really well produced and flowed nicely for a film basically of clips there were no interviews to camera like you sometimes get in other documentaries.

3 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Filmhouse in Edinburgh not sure if it's run has ended there, if it has worth keeping and eye out for on TV. I hadn't seen any other films like it (Senna or Amy) but it was really well produced and flowed nicely for a film basically of clips there were no interviews to camera like you sometimes get in other documentaries.

Ah ok. GFT seems to have it first week in August so I'll need to wait until then.

I've seen Senna, which I thought was brilliant, but not Amy, due a passionate dislike of Winehouse and the whole media love-in around her.

Wild Rose.

A British musical about a Glasgow singer leaving behind the bleakness and poverty of Scotland to make it big in Nashville.

It was OK. The lead actors Glasgow accent wasn't convincing.
Julie Walters gives it some credibility.

6/10

Midsommar was pretty good. Intriguing narrative and beautiful visuals, but the plot kinda seemed to forget where it was going about halfway through, and ended up feeling similar to other horror films based around sects/cults. Also laughed way too much for a horror film. 7/10 though, would recommend.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee