What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Watched a couple of movies on a plane:

Vice: Surprisingly funny & watchable take on Dick Cheney, with an enjoyable performance from Steve Carell as Donald Rumsfeld. 6/10

Free Solo: Rock climbing documentary featuring a mentalist climbing El Capitan without ropes. I didn't know the story, so not knowing how it ended meant sweaty palms throughout. Fascinating and, dare I say, gripping (sorry), although the guy comes across as a bit of a dick. 7/10

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
A stone cold classic. The fact that this was made in 1968 still blows my tiny little mind (the 'moon landing' still hadn't happened yet). Look for the appearance of iPads, Skype/FaceTime, microwave meals and of course, Artificial Intelligence.  Way ahead of its time and a visual masterpiece in terms of both effects and cinematography. I could watch those shots inside the Discovery spacecraft on loop for the rest of my life.
5/5
Watched it yesterday. Still the GOAT imo.

When you realise what Kubrick wanted you to see, it's fucking amazing.

Once Upon A Time In The Midlands

Probably the weakest Shane Meadows film I've seen, but it's still decent. Struggles to blend the western theme it portrays across the setting of an estate in the midlands. Dek is just too weak a character to truly root for, even if Meadows was going for the James Stewart civilised man versus the wilder, reckless Jimmy. It's also good to see James Cosmo in films, though.

6.5/10

Robert The Bruce

Saw this the other day as part of the Edinburgh Film Festival. Understandable why Cineworld have chosen not to release it, it's pretty boring and will have a limited appeal (mainly to uber-nationalists). Hardly anything to do with Scottish history. Angus McFadyen is hilariously bad for the first hour or so, whenever his is in it it's mainly a close up of him with an exasperated look on his face but saying nothing. The other performances in it however are pretty decent. My friend described the movie as "the actors did well with not very much to work with". I felt that was a fair summary of proceedings. 

If not for the occasional character references such as The Bruce, The Black Douglas and John Comyn , this could have been a movie about anyone that lived on a croft in that time period.  I've seen this referred to as some sort of follow up to Braveheart but you couldn't be further from that suggestion. This is TV movie or straight to DVD level, which is disappointing because I wanted it to be good. 

The screening was followed by a Q&A and some of the cringeworthy questions asked (mainly questions about independence rather than the movie we had just watched) probably said a lot about the type of people this movie will appeal to. The cast however, fielded the questions well and were intelligent and amusing.

See it if you must but don't say you weren't warned. It's just no very good. 

4/10

Rocket Man (Odeon, Wester Hailes). 

Been showing for ages but screening still packed. Not usually one for musicals but glad to catch this in the cinema. Telling the story (of Elton John) through the songs felt very natural and the reworkings of all the songs were good. Quite touched by all the addiction struggles too and family troubles - still mulling lots of it over a couple of days later. 

Maybe a tiny bit sycophantic and a tiny bit too long but 8/10. 

So with the first half of the year done, what's everyone's favourites so far? Burning, Eighth Grade and Foxtrot for me.

Top five for me are Toy Story 4, Beats, Mid90s, Thunder Road and Eighth Grade in that order.

Got three films watched on the plane that I missed during their original screening.

Aquaman

Total nonsense but fun nonsense. Cringey dialogue and questionable acting across the board but my god, it was fun to watch. The underwater universe is pretty cool looking and some of the fight sequences are enjoyable.

Just feel that DC just can't pull this kind of nonsense off like Marvel did. They eventually realised that the whole premise of the Thor films was nonsense so they went down a different, far more successful, route with Ragnarok. DC seem to be unsure what they want to do with these films. Mamoa is a good classic action hero though so there is potential.

Instant Family

Had this booked at the cinema on three separate occasions but never got round to seeing it. Glad I finally watched it. Really nice story that gives a more fair appraisal of the challenges kids in care face. Rather than just making care experienced kids serial killers or weirdos as films tend to do. Shazam did a similar thing earlier in the year.

Teared up for the courtroom scene and the end credits which showed a load of photos of real adopted families. Good thing the lights were out on the plane due to turbulence...

Eighth Grade

This got a lot of praise at various film festivals but slipped under the radar somewhat upon release. Story of a teenage girl grappling with the challenges of moving to high shcool. Focuses on her struggles to be accepted in a world dominated by social media and online image.

Really relevant to our modern day and the lead actress is excellent. Nails the painful awkwardness of a kid trying to hard to fit in and be liked. Shout out to the embarrassing dad too.

Pan

Watched this as I was curious about the concept of what is effectively a Peter Pan origin story.
The film was crap, but there was one cool (if very bizarre) cover of Smells like Teen Spirit and I liked the idea of Hook's introduction. Didn't see that coming.

Seen Toy Story 4 at the cinema last night. Thought it was a good way to tie up the series, with the emotional goodbye between Buzz and Woody at the end.

Yes the plot centred around Woody and some of the other characters got little screen time, but Toy Story has always really been all about Woody.

Only negative really was nothing to do with the film itself, but the little c**t of a child running about the cinema screaming, while their parents just sat and allowed it. If your kid doesn’t know how to sit and behave, then don’t take them to the cinema where other paying customers have to suffer their intolerable behaviour.

The Equalizer 2.

Denzel simmers with revengfulness for two hours. No bad. Took a while to reach boiling point. Ok way to pass the evening.

6/10

Spiderman far from home

Seems to be getting panned a bit by the critics but I really enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, I thought the first half of the movie was clunky and just didn't click at times, and the 2 teachers in charge of the school trip made me want to get up and punch the screen. There was a lot to live up to after Endgame, I guess. However, I thought the 2nd half of the movie  was great. I really enjoyed Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio and also the modern take on the character. 

The post credit scenes are a must-watch, for a variety of reasons. 

8/10

Spiderman far from home
Seems to be getting panned a bit by the critics but I really enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, I thought the first half of the movie was clunky and just didn't click at times, and the 2 teachers in charge of the school trip made me want to get up and punch the screen. There was a lot to live up to after Endgame, I guess. However, I thought the 2nd half of the movie  was great. I really enjoyed Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio and also the modern take on the character. 
The post credit scenes are a must-watch, for a variety of reasons. 
8/10
93% on rotten tomatoes and 8.1 on imbd. Doesn't seem to be getting panned.

I had read a few not very flattering reviews before going to see the movie and having watched it now, have no idea where the critics got their ideas from. It's very enjoyable, even moreso than Homecoming, for me. 

On a random side note, Peter Parker must have the most ethnically diverse class in the history of school. 

Just been to see Yesterday - really enjoyed it. Bad news - James Corden is in it, briefly, playing himself. Good news - so is Robert Carlyle in an uncredited role near the end.

42 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Just been to see Yesterday - really enjoyed it. Bad news - James Corden is in it, briefly, playing himself. Good news - so is Robert Carlyle in an uncredited role near the end.

Ironically I saw it yesterday and it was an enjoyable couple of hours. The love story part of it didn't grab me too much and agree about James Corden, was also hoping that the Ed Sheeran bit you see in the trailer would be as much as you get but he's in a fair chunk of the film. Having said that the soundtrack is obviously great, I liked the premise of the story and the scene with Robert Carlyle is very poignant especially if you're a Beatles fan.