What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Just back from John Wick 3 - didn't think it was as good as the last one but still very entertaining.

Properly violent from the very beginning - so many arms breaking all over the place and that book...

Over the aisle there was a 15-month-old girl there with her folks...still, she had headphones on so it wasn't too loud for her...

f**k, I’ve loads to catch up on and keep putting it off cos I can’t be arsed doing them all at once...so best at least start chipping away at the backlog....

(127-129)

Ash Is Purest White 7.5/10

V good this, quite a sprawling film following the girlfriend of a lowish level underworld guy through three different periods of her life (set in 2001, 2006 and 2018) and seeing her situation change quite drastically...it was much more about the people and places, in particular places in lesser known parts of China where industry was starting to die and younger people were leaving, than about the crimes any of them were committing (this is all mostly left quite vague) and seemed to be as interested in looking at the changing structures and culture of China as it was specifically about anyone’s life. (cinema)

Avengers Endgame 8/10

Dunno if this still needs spoilers?

You’ve all written enough about this so....Bullet points...Lebowski Thor was fucking brilliant, he even had the same cardigan! Can’t wait for Guardians 3 if he’s on the team now....I nearly started clapping when Cap picked up Mjolnir, and I’m Scottish...The fully merged Hulk and Banner was great, I loved his arc...FINALLY Hawkeye wasn’t just shit, what a badass! And the scene where he and Nat fight over who will sacrifice themselves was superb...When the females teamed up I was like YAS, on reflection it was a bit on the nose but f**k it, YAS...Not without its flaws and really was too long but a perfect way to end the arcs of Tony, Cap, and Nat...

(cinema)

Edited by Christophe

The early pace in Endgame was something I initially had an issue with. Since then, I've warmed to it. I think it was deliberate, to make the absolute carnage later have more impact. The gradual rise in pace from each part to the next was really well done.

Ruffalo's comic delivery was superb throughout, and you can kinda hear the grief laced within it too at times. Especially when we first come across him.

(130-137)

Close Up 7/10

Liked this. Iranian cinema at its best is some of the best stuff. No doubt about that. Sent me on an Iranian trip with the next few.... (YouTube)

Under The Shadow 8/10 

Brilliant. See above re: Iranian cinema. (Netflix)

Where Is The Friend’s Home? 8/10

Kiarostami film about a kid trying to get a book to his school friend to stop him getting expelled. Really good fun and slyly funny film. Sort of plays on the idea of the gumshoe film, except it is a kid in 80s Iran rather than a PI in a city. Just really nice and good. (streamed)

Styx 8/10

German woman plans a solo sail from Gibraltar down to Ascension Island but gets waylaid off the coast of Africa when she comes across an overloaded fishing trawler packed with migrants in a pretty bad way. Felt a v immersive experience this as the director really makes use of it being out in the middle of a vast ocean, with no one else around, to give you a constant feel of foreboding and dread as she tries to figure out what the hell to do. It doesn’t just head straight in to the obvious and simplistic story tropes you might expect with this kind of film, felt pretty realistic in its ambiguity and moral uncertainty whilst at the same time leaving you feeling pretty sick thinking about the people that are actually risking this journey and not making it. Good film! (cinema)

Woman At War 7/10

Icelandic film about an environmental saboteur. Interesting and mostly good stuff this with some huge nods to Emir Kusturica (the ending is straight from Time of the Gypsies). There are a couple of plotted conveniences but the film isn’t super realist so it does push past them - funny and serious together, with lots of hats of gold. (cinema)

And Life Goes On 8/10

Kiarostami film in which the events of Where Is My Friend’s Home? is known to be a film - a film maker goes to where it was shot as the region was devastated by a huge earthquake (which really happened) to see if the people from the film survived. Another classic. The film maker & his son drive across Iran and encounter people trying to get on after the earthquake. It is very meta, particularly if you have seen the first film, but enjoyment doesn’t require that. Balances sadness and joy and melancholy in equal measure. (YouTube)

Meeting Gorbachev 8/10

Herzog meets former head of the USSR and talks about his upbringing, his time in the Communist Party, the fall of the Soviet Union and his geopolitical work. Gorbachev comes across as quite a lovely, through tragic, character. The cheesy moments (how much do you miss your ex-wife etc) are balanced by some incredible storytelling. Gorbachev acts as the straight-talking cut through the bullshit foil to Herzog’s meandering musings. Brilliant if you like that sort of thing. (cinema)

Fail Safe 9/10

Henry Fonda, Larry Hagman, Walter Matthau, Larry Hagman and a bunch of other top-notch actors in what is a basically straight version of Dr Strangelove but (so much) better. Tense from the get-go and incredibly realistic. Sidney Lumet’s art-school direction perfectly highlights the insanity and paranoia of the cold-war at the same time brings a deep humanity to characters forced to make difficult decisions. Sublime. (YouTube)

Edited by Christophe

Watched Murder mystery on Netflix - bit of a piss take whodunnit film but a pretty decent watch if you’re in the mood for something lighthearted.
It's a bag of balls really. Slow as f**k start to it all and felt very much "straight to DVD" type feel. Which I guess it sort of it in modern terms.

Saw the Diego Maradona film directed by Asif Kapadia (of Senna and Amy fame).

Focuses almost entirely on his stint at Napoli, with the WC triumphs thrown in, but there is more than enough source material from that period. Loved it.

Men In Black : International   5/10

Meh. The chemistry between the main two and Pawny was good. The story was pish. Far too predictable. The villains were totally forgettable.

Spoiler

SPOILER for those on the app. It turns out the villains weren't actually as evil as first thought, although we only get one line explaining this. Even then, it sounded like they were guessing why they were after the weapon.

The bit with Thor and his ex was cringey. A mess of a film. Was hoping for a lot more. It felt like the writers had taken a straight to DVD script and slapped a Men In Black label on it(and flung in a few references for fans of the original)

Italian Job 9/10

A special 50th anniversary screening at the cinema in glorious panavision. A classic movie on the big screen, what’s not to like. I love the start with a Lamborghini Miura driving through the Italian alps with Mat Monroe singing On days like these. Wonderful.

Venom

Didn’t know what to expect from this. Visually very good but Tom Hardys accent was grinding on me throughout. Not sure if it was meant to be a dark comedy but some of it was pretty funny. Won’t rush to see it again
6/10

On 16/06/2019 at 11:14, Stellaboz said:
On 16/06/2019 at 09:40, throbber said:
Watched Murder mystery on Netflix - bit of a piss take whodunnit film but a pretty decent watch if you’re in the mood for something lighthearted.

It's a bag of balls really. Slow as f**k start to it all and felt very much "straight to DVD" type feel. Which I guess it sort of it in modern terms.

So basically an Adam Sandler movie then.

The Garden

Imagine the bible but shown via song and interpertative dance while in the middle of an acid trip.

7.5/10

Watched 'Kill Bill vol1+2' for the first time in ages last night.

Honestly it's the type of film that keeps you interested throughout as it's that unpredictable.

The best part imo in the two films is either the scene with the crazy 88's or the animated back story of Lucy Liu's character.

Great viewing, will watch again.  8/10

IT (2017)

Bill Skarsgard isn't Tim Curry, but he tries his best and to be fair is a pretty creepy Pennywise. The film has a killer soundtrack and although I don't like it as much as the original, it's a decent reboot. Far better than the usual quality of rebooted films. It's just not overly scary.

7/10

6 hours ago, Comrie said:

IT (2017)

Bill Skarsgard isn't Tim Curry, but he tries his best and to be fair is a pretty creepy Pennywise. The film has a killer soundtrack and although I don't like it as much as the original, it's a decent reboot. Far better than the usual quality of rebooted films. It's just not overly scary.

7/10

I think it the horror works at it's best when they're not overdoing it. That said, my favourite scene in the movie, and one that totally freaked me out, was the slideshow scene which was probably one of the most mental scene in it. That one definitely worked on me.

The entire climax was a bit dull to watch, although I did get unintentional comedy at least once.