What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Harry Potter and the Cash Cow Prequel Part 2
Took the HP loving niece to see this this afternoon. She thought it was shite, and she’s correct. Basically a 2 hour long advert for the next one. 
The trailers seem to be a whole load of "REMEMBER THIS?!?!?".

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Harry Potter and the Cash Cow Prequel Part 2

Took the HP loving niece to see this this afternoon. She thought it was shite, and she’s correct. Basically a 2 hour long advert for the next one. 

JK Rowling is in real danger of damaging her legacy. I’m a huge Harry Potter fan and enjoyed the first Fantastic Beasts film but must admit I found my mind wandering at times in the middle of this film. I think she was trying to demonstrate the importance of family ties and status within this world - the opposite theme displayed in Harry Potter for the most part - and fell into the trap of using the same character/narrative development tricks repeatedly. 

There was enough in this to keep me mostly interested and entertained but I think that was as much down to call backs to Harry Potter, recognisable names and situations and the intrigue around why Dumbledore doesn’t get involved in the war sooner. There was a few lines of dialogue that I thought would come back - mostly from scenes  at hogwarts which served no purpose other than to provide us with a clue for what was to come later and so they did. I think Rowling is a much better novelist than she is a screenwriter. 

I’ve got a very strong knowledge of the Harry Potter books and that helped me through some of the finer plot points in this. Some films are better on a second viewing and this may be one of them, but I’d recommend reading the Harry Potter books to get a grasp on the respective family trees and historical figures. The films have struggled to set the scene properly which is a shame, but this can be solved by looking back at the books. I fully realise that, understandably,most people will not want to do that. 

This will keep the hardcore Potter fans happy but found this a surprising closed film for people who have come to the story late. My fiancé was completely bamboozled about the significance of the ending as an example. Without giving anything away, the ending relates to a wider story from the books which is mentioned but not really explored much. For book fans it’s a big deal. For casual outsiders or fans of the movies, I think it’ll fall a bit flat. 

7/10 for me as a big fan. I reckon a lot of people will be pretty disappointed and confused by it and that seems to be reflected in reviews I’ve seen from critics. 

Fucking shite film. The first was removed enough to be good on its own. Now she's trying so hard to tie it all in. f**k off. No spoilers from me but who Credence apparently is? NAW. Nope.

Also, the whole he's a brother no he's not he sort of it but isn't? Hard to follow.

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Fucking shite film. The first was removed enough to be good on its own. Now she's trying so hard to tie it all in. f**k off. No spoilers from me but who Credence apparently is? NAW. Nope.

Also, the whole he's a brother no he's not he sort of it but isn't? Hard to follow.

His girlfriend's story is nonsense too.

21 hours ago, MSU said:

I was quite looking forward to Widows. Pish.

Hah don’t listen to me (necessarily)! I’m a right miserable twat! Proper confused how not one reviewer has slagged this off tho, not even Slant and they slag off basically EVERYTHING (that isn’t a b&w macedonian documentary about turnip farming). I do hate everything (lowest common denominator shit)!

Oh my god I’ve  just remembered what happened to the main characters kid and it is genuinely one of the most crass attempts at a *zeitgeist* moment I have seen in a v long time. 

Buster Scruggs was worth the watch today when I had a couple of hours to fill. Some stories work better than others but all very watchable. 7/10.

Yeah. This. The best stories involve Tom Waits searching for gold, and a dog called President Pierce.

On a Netflix binge, I watched Jim and Andy.

It's ostensibly about how Jim Carrey became Andy Kauffman during the making of Man on the Moon (which is a terrific film, by the way).  It's basically Jim Carrey talking about Jim Carrey, and he comes across as an absolute arse of the highest calibre (and sensationally talented).  Of course, it could be that this is Jim Carrey being a character as well (which is my take).  He could also be a self-obsessed narcissist.  I really don't know what to make of it, but by God it's an entertaining hour and a half.  

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

On a Netflix binge, I watched Jim and Andy.

It's ostensibly about how Jim Carrey became Andy Kauffman during the making of Man on the Moon (which is a terrific film, by the way).  It's basically Jim Carrey talking about Jim Carrey, and he comes across as an absolute arse of the highest calibre (and sensationally talented).  Of course, it could be that this is Jim Carrey being a character as well (which is my take).  He could also be a self-obsessed narcissist.  I really don't know what to make of it, but by God it's an entertaining hour and a half.  

Definitely think it's a bit of both.

He's massively talented, superb at this type of character, but he's definitely a complete self-obsessed w**k as well.

On train home so thought I'd fire up a few short reviews:
Suspiria (2018):
I don't really know what to think of this. What really sticks out from it was the sheer intensity of some scenes that I genuinely felt playing with my mind (Susie's first dance, some of the dreams and the ceremony), but there was a lot of stuff in between those scenes that I couldn't really piece together.
There's definitely a chance that I simply didn't 'get it' and should watch it a second time, but I just didn't enjoy it spewing so many artsy moments at you that it verged on becoming incomprehensible.
That all said, I have to give it credit for the sheer intensity of some of the scenes that made me feel like no other film I've seen this year has, and its main aim is to be felt as opposed to analysed.
Room (2016):
Truly amazing.
The growth of Jack is so well done that it makes you appreciate your own life and how you perceive the world.
The deterioration of Ma is so well done and considered (mostly due to Brie Larsson's performance) that you feel the slide happening without the need for her to explain how she's feeling. Just the way she looks at the interviewer in one scene was enough to make me squirm.
Combining those two together, as well as a fantastic supporting cast, and you're left with a really powerful film that grabs you by the (emotional) balls right at the start and doesn't let go.
I'm not a parent, but it made me feel like I'd seen my own son grow up in 117 minutes.
There's so much I've left off of this that I want to talk about but I've probably bored you all enough.
Overlord (2018):
Enjoyable characters + rattling pace + madness = good fun.
Looked and sounded great too.

The Girl in the Spider’s Web

Saw this at the Unlimited screening tonight, and it’s very good. Clare Foy is excellent as Lisbeth, and the story is excellent. My only real criticism is that it’s very dark. Not in story terms (although it is), but it feels like they couldn’t be arsed waiting for the lighting guy to show up and just got on with it.

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The Girl in the Spider’s Web

Saw this at the Unlimited screening tonight, and it’s very good. Clare Foy is excellent as Lisbeth, and the story is excellent. My only real criticism is that it’s very dark. Not in story terms (although it is), but it feels like they couldn’t be arsed waiting for the lighting guy to show up and just got on with it.

I went to this too. Just flowed along nicely but couldn't really get into it. Plot was fine and enjoyed the big final sequences. Looked great too. Just lacked something for me.

Overlord is fucking great btw. Rewatch made me enjoy it even more.
EDIT I get that I'm repeating myself here but it's worth mentioning. 
I agree, went to see this a couple months ago after getting invited to a special screening Paramount put on and absolutely loved it. It's riddled with every war film cliche they could think of but it still works.

I'm also a huge fan of Wyatt Russell and he once again doesn't disappoint.