What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

My case for TPM being the best of the prequels:

- Qui-Gon Jinn in general. He was the only guy who I felt was how a Jedi should be

- Darth Maul being a complete badass

- Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul on Tatooine

- Qui-Gon and Obi Wan vs Maul

- Duel of the Fates

- Least annoying and whiny version of Anakin

- Some plausible Anakin backstory (emphasis on some)

- Some nice manipulation by Palpatine that shows the game he was playing and how good he was at it

- Naboo itself; great visuals and a well imagined planet 

- The podrace

It's still a completely shit film though. It's just that it's better than AOTC and ROTS.

On 11/11/2018 at 12:02, Principal Flutie said:

On the best of 2018 question, I'd go with Blackkklansman for now. I'll give it more thought at the end of the year though.

This would be near the top of my list too.

I think the absolute best I've seen this year is Leave No Trace. A Star is Born, A Quiet Place and Mamma Mia 2 (not even sorry) probably make up my top 5.

I understand it won’t all be true to life and some of the scenes were exaggerated but what a fucking life Freddie lived.

It’s been widely reported that if anything the film shows the opposite, and that Freddie’s debauched lifestyle a lot more wild than what they showed on film.

Anyway, outstanding film. Queen were magnificent and I kind of see why John Deacon didn’t want the band to continue after Freddie, he was irreplaceable. Hands down the greatest front man ever.

Phantom Menace is the more boring film but Attack of the Clones is more of an incoherent mess, both equally cringeworthy at their worst. Must admit I did like the bit where the clone wars all kicks off because I thought the designs of some of the ships/walkers was quite cool but yeah the more you think about it the more crap stuff you remember.

On 13/11/2018 at 10:04, SweeperDee said:

Bohemian Rhapsody 9.9/10

The only downside was that it had to end. Was bloody perfect in near enough every way.

Seen it last night, totally agree, thought it was amazing and the actors playing the band easily pulled it off, the fight scenes when deacon comes up with "another one bites the dust" was brilliant 

(189-190)

Widows 3/10

Not seen one negative review for this so I am definitely going to look a bit well ‘ard when I say that I thought it was absolutely rubbish. Really expected a LOT more from the man who made Hunger (Hunger ffs!). OK it’s a heist movie and not meant to be massively realistic or anything and I’m always willing to take films on their own terms (which I why I actually really enjoyed the last Mission Impossible - one of my films of the year so far in fact) but this did not work on those terms at all. The sort of film that only makes sense if you spend literally not a second thinking about why anything is happening because none of the characters motivations make any sense at all (wouldn’t even say there are any properly defined characters, they were all pure cyphers for the story) so it’s not clear why anyone is doing anything that they’re doing, and some of the plot points are just totally lol. Still, on the plus side at least Liam Neeson wasn’t in it much. (cinema)

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 7.5/10

New coen brothers film made up of six short stories, all of them set in the American West in the 1880s...some better than others but none of them not good (except maybe the last one which was just ok). Tom Waits was brilliant in his one. You could probably file this under the dictionary definition of v enjoyable fluff so a 75% mark seems fair enough. (Netflix)

4 minutes ago, Christophe said:

(189-190)

Widows 3/10

Not seen one negative review for this so I am definitely going to look a bit well ‘ard when I say that I thought it was absolutely rubbish. Really expected a LOT more from the man who made Hunger (Hunger ffs!). OK it’s a heist movie and not meant to be massively realistic or anything and I’m always willing to take films on their own terms (which I why I actually really enjoyed the last Mission Impossible - one of my films of the year so far in fact) but this did not work on those terms at all. The sort of film that only makes sense if you spend literally not a second thinking about why anything is happening because none of the characters motivations make any sense at all (wouldn’t even say there are any properly defined characters, they were all pure cyphers for the story) so it’s not clear why anyone is doing anything that they’re doing, and some of the plot points are just totally lol. Still, on the plus side at least Liam Neeson wasn’t in it much. (cinema)

New coen brothers film made up of six short stories, all of them set in the American West in the 1880s...some better than others but none of them not good (except maybe the last one which was just ok). Tom Waits was brilliant in his one. You could probably file this under the dictionary definition of v enjoyable fluff so a 75% mark seems fair enough. (Netflix)

I was quite looking forward to Widows. Pish.

I think Widows is a 7/10 film to be honest. I went in with high expectations because Steve McQueen is a brilliant director but I'd agree that it's probably his weakest film to date. The film is well layered and you get to know the characters (there are a lot of them) in a reasonable amount of depth. Some plot points feel convenient and I could see the 'twist' coming a mile off but it's a decent movie and worth the admission fee.

I can understand why some people don't like Liam Neeson but he's an Oscar nominee for his role in Schindler's List. I find it vaguely depressing that he's given up meatier roles for shite like The Commuter, A millions ways to die in the West  and the Taken sequels so fingers crossed this movie opens up that door for him again.

I went to see Wildlife last night. Carey Mulligan and Jake Gyllenhaal are a married couple in the very early 60s who's marriage is in trouble. Jake goes off to fight a fire, leaving Mulligan at home and she starts spiraling out of control. The movie is mostly seen from the perspective of their 14 year old son who witnesses first hand the marital issues (although probably doesn't understand the complexities of them) and his mother's response to them. 

I really enjoyed this film - Mulligan is an excellent, understated actress who turned in quite a hammed up performance. Her son is convincing as the confused teenager trying to come to terms with his new reality and Jake does well with the material he has to work with. Considering it's Paul Dano's directorial debut, it's quite an accomplished piece of film making. I like him as an actor but I think we might see him move into directing/writing along with his wife.

8/10 (cinema)

(189-190)
Widows 3/10

Tempted to take out a free month of Netflix just to see Buster Scruggs.