What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The weirdness going full throttle at the end reminds me of Hold the Dark that also arrived on Netflix recently. Also like that, it does throw some major weirdness out earlier, but in very small doses, and pretty sporadically.

Not that I'm complaining. More of this shit appearing is good by me.

The Odd Couple(Sky)
Pretty much a masterclass in comedy,no matter how many times you see it there's more to admire, if they made it now it'd be a gross out movie of sorts or have a race angle, this is just pure performance.10/10

Now you see me 2(ch4)
A bit shite,reminds me how annoying I found the characters in the first one. 2/10
I liked now you see me 2, granted nowhere near as good as original but decent enough. Harry potter wasnt up to much in it tho.

On 10/14/2018 at 20:31, Co.Down Hibee said:

The Odd Couple(Sky)

Pretty much a masterclass in comedy,no matter how many times you see it there's more to admire, if they made it now it'd be a gross out movie of sorts or have a race angle, this is just pure performance.10/10

Now you see me 2(ch4)

A bit shite,reminds me how annoying I found the characters in the first one. 2/10

I found both NYSM movies to be a decent, mindless way to spend a couple of hours. The main issue I have with both movies is that it assumes that people actually give a f**k about magicians.

I watched the 1980 original of Friday the 13th last night, first time in, nearly 30 years I reckon, SKY are dedicating one channel to classic horror movies in the run up to Halloween so added a few to the planner.

The kill scenes and special effects, mostly the handiwork of the legendary Tom Savini (make up guy for most slasher movies of that era and actor in Dawn of the Dead and Dusk till Dawn) for all may be a bit dated compared to modern day CGI but have an honesty and appeal about them that modern films dont, forgot a young Kevin Bacon was in this, pretty sure it got banned in the UK and USA originally for the decapitated head scene if memory serves me correctly?

Forrest Gump.

Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.  - Bubba

(170- 172)

The Death and Resurrection Show 7/10

If this isn’t the single best biopic of a band ever committed then I hate music. I don’t know if there are any other Killing Joke fans on here but those with an interest in a band that have lasted 40 years then it’s an amazing watch. Almost sure there’s no one else here with an interest in the occult either but I highly recommend the film. It’s long but it’s incredible. Completely in pieces after watching it. Something else. It’s in full on YT. I’m not sure a band has ever meant as much to me as The Joke does. Objective head on to take points off for running time and not being a particularly huge fan of the genre but my heart would have given it a bigger score. 

Anthropoid 7/10

On a WW2 thing at the moment. Last half an hour is sublime. Getting to that point is serviceable enough. (Netflix)

Cloud Atlas 5/10

A whole lot of this didn’t really work - the actors in prosthetics was a massive distraction and the stupid pidgin English of the dystopian future world really got on my wick. The themes of your actions having an echo and an impact across the past and future were interesting and well played out, though that might be the strength of the source material shining through. There was enough to keep me occupied throughout the film, though 2hrs 50mins meant it has outstayed it’s welcome by the end, but ultimately it was probably a reasonable crack of the whip at a ridiculously difficult book to put on film. (Netflix)

Edited by Christophe

Watched Cloud Atlas last night too, got lost at what was going on. I don’t think they properly explained the comet birthmark connection (anybody enlighten me). I read up about the film in Wikipedia and understood it a wee bit better. Overall not too bad a film , need to watch it again.

On 17/10/2018 at 10:15, TheScarf said:

Apostle (Netflix)

A kind of homage to the Wickerman.  A cult on an Island off the Welsh coast led by a prophet (Michael Sheen) who believes the failing crops on the island can be fixed my kidnapping a mainlander for ransom to the King.  The lassie he kidnap's brother comes to the island to try to rescue her.

Sheen is great as usual and the visuals are very impressive.  Goes a bit weird at the end but I think its classed as a horror rather than a thriller, so that can be excused.

7 pon 10 for me.

I watched this the other night too, after being impressed by the trailer.

I’d pretty much agree with that. I thought it dragged on slightly too long (with a running time of about 2hrs 10 mins) and would’ve benefited from shaving off maybe 20-30 mins. Also, there seemed to be very few consequences from him losing that medicine he kept taking (a small thing, but it bugged me).

I thought Calibre was a superior film, and a better Wicker Man homage. Still, continued the wave of good British Horrors in recent years.

Edited by FifeSons

On 10/16/2018 at 13:58, well fan for life said:

Watched Gravity on Netflix the other night. Good film. The visual effects are spectacular and Sandra Bullock is great in it. 7/10

Saw this in the cinema a few years back. One of the few films I've seen that really benefitted from being 3D.

Mandy 

Not often a movie featuring an unhinged performance from Nic Cage actually upstages him in the batshit mental stakes, but Mandy manages it effortlessly. An absolute blast from start to finish, a bit like The Evil Dead meets Hellraiser with touches of H.P. Lovecraft, David Lynch and the Brothers Grimm thrown in for good measure. Dreamlike, surreal, beautiful, terrifying and hilarious. The music and sound design by the sadly-deceased Icelandic composer Johann Johannsson is fantastic - immersive and atmospheric. Looking forward to seeing what director Panos Cosmatos does next.

9/10

Edited by Frankie S

(173-175)

Bride of Frankenstein 6/10

Begins as 30s horror and becomes a sort of romantic talkie halfway through, the monster accepts sacrament and becomes a blessed child of Christ, whilst man is debased through science. The exact kind of moralising I can accept with with added gay subterfuge. (YouTube)

Peeping Tom 7/10

Huge Michael Powell fan but still unsure in this one, I think it’s incredibly well done and it is one of the few ‘horror’ adjacent that does work on me, and I do think of it as a critique of watching as sublimation (rather than as a grotty morality tale), though few sublimated so royally as Powell. Something about it slightly worms at me. (BFIplayer)

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier etc. 8.9/10

The recent one. Still Good! (Amazon Prime)

Death Kiss

A vigilante, who happens to look like Charles Bronson, runs around kicking ass. Plenty of cartoon violence and gratuitous tits but not much in the way of plot and the joke wore thin pretty quickly. I'd put it on about the same level as a troma film from the 80s. I doubt if it'll be Oscar nominated next year.

3/10