What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

On 10/2/2018 at 22:47, Principal Flutie said:

I thought the first hour was a bit of a chore ( this is a conservative way of putting it ) and was the main thing making me question full marks. But from the bathroom scene onwards, I was hooked. I loved the everloving shit out of everything from that point on. You mention the score, and that was as perfect as you could ask for, and yes, this movie just looks gorgeous.

Linus Roache's baddy is, let's face it, hokey as f**k, but the actual cult themselves definitely provide a formidable and interesting opponent, and I love the backstory that we get for them eventually. The chainsaw fight you mention had me laughing with joy. I can't remember the last time a movie got the response out of me that this movie got. I couldn't go lower as a result. Anything less would kind of downplay how much I love this movie. I'll be seeing it again when it's released because it's getting a reasonable cinema release here before getting it's on demand and DVD release a month later.

Batshit Nicholas Cage and a chainsaw fight?  Take my money!

fury 9/10

just a brilliant film. drives home the reality of war. think they could have done a bit more with the mens psychological states when couped up in a shell together all the time but thats a small criticism. solid performances from Brad Pitt, Michael Pena and Shia LaBeouf. also the two others but i dont have a clue what their names are. was going for 8/10 but it deserves an extra point purely for the very last camera shot as it pans out.

next is con air

Venom 5/10

Really didn't grab me at all Tom Hardy did decent enough job but the rest of the acting really was subpar. Was a 15 so hoping for something bit darker and grittier than normal Marvel flick.  I've got cinecard so no big loss but would say not worth paying full price for this one. 

con air 8/10

just a great film that has actually stood tge test of time. stece buscemi is brilliant in it as is john malkovich. the weakest link in the cast is probably nick cage.

probably about the 10th time ive seen it and still enjoyable which says alot.

Con Air is brilliant! Such a massive pile of nonsense that is immensely enjoyable. Nicholas Cage turns in a great performance playing Nicholas Cage.

It's one of his best. Hard to chose which his actual best is though. It's between this, The Rock and Face Off.

Con Air is brilliant! Such a massive pile of nonsense that is immensely enjoyable. Nicholas Cage turns in a great performance playing Nicholas Cage.
It's one of his best. Hard to chose which his actual best is though. It's between this, The Rock and Face Off.
oh yeah the story is absolutely shit! its also got the typical 90s cheese as well. would have to be the rock for me but its close. watching face off tonight. might watch the rock as well since youve brought it up.

A Nic Cage marathon would be highly entertaining, especially if it's the trilogy of his 3 best (aforementioned movies).

Incidentally I'm going with Face Off for the best. It's so mentally ludicrous and Cage is simply exceptionally over the top. Travolta gives a very amusing turn as well. It's a delight.

Big shout out to the Wicker Man. It's appalling shit and a horrid insult to the original (which is an absolute classic) but his performance is so utterly abysmal that it's genuinely enthralling.

Great entertainment.

(154-155)

A Simple Favour 7.5/10

This was actually really enjoyable. It was kind of a mystery thriller and kind of a screwball comedy, directed by the guy who did Bridesmaids and Ghostbusters, the mesh of tones was a bit weird but didn’t stop it being fun. It was incredibly stylish - the wardrobes of both leads were very elegant and the soundtrack was Gainsbourg-heavy. It kind of unravelled towards the end but that didn’t bother me. (cinema)

The House With A Clock In The Wall 5/10

This was ok, eh, it was a kid’s film directed by Eli Roth? I mean...ok. 12A and not really sure why, nothing in it that’s any scarier than Goonies or shit like that. Jack Black was entertaining enough and Cate Blanchett was brilliant, she just gets hotter and hotter and better and better. It’s one you could happily watch when it comes on Sky Cinema for free. (cinema)

A Star is Born

Can see why the performances in this are getting as lauded as they are. Gaga in particular plays a blinder and very impressed to hear that all the songs were performed live rather than recorded and mimed as is usually the case in musicals. Some absolute banging tunes too.

Was a bit unsure about the pacing. Everything seemed to happen so quickly, it was almost like a montage. Plus, I feel like Ally's short temper that we see a few times early doors (at the bar, the shop and coming off the stage at the first show) just kinda disappeared. Thought that was something that was going to be explored further but ended up not going anywhere.

In all, good performances and good tunes. What's not to like?

A Nic Cage marathon would be highly entertaining, especially if it's the trilogy of his 3 best (aforementioned movies).
Incidentally I'm going with Face Off for the best. It's so mentally ludicrous and Cage is simply exceptionally over the top. Travolta gives a very amusing turn as well. It's a delight.
Big shout out to the Wicker Man. It's appalling shit and a horrid insult to the original (which is an absolute classic) but his performance is so utterly abysmal that it's genuinely enthralling.
Great entertainment.
Gone in 60 seconds would be the third surely? Oh, or Air Con! But Face Off is 1st no question.
ill continue the cage love in. snake eyes is on tomorrow night 2325 on 5spike. not as great as con air, face off or the rock but still an entertaining watch.

in order for me

1 con air
2 lord of war
3 face off
4 the rock
5 leaving Las Vegas

bad lieutenant was not bad for a remake. ghost rider and knowing are appalling films. infact almost all his more recent films are garbage unless im forgetting something glaringly obvious.

ill continue the cage love in. snake eyes is on tomorrow night 2325 on 5spike. not as great as con air, face off or the rock but still an entertaining watch.

in order for me

1 con air
2 lord of war
3 face off
4 the rock
5 leaving Las Vegas

bad lieutenant was not bad for a remake. ghost rider and knowing are appalling films. infact almost all his more recent films are garbage unless im forgetting something glaringly obvious.
Says a lot about Nick Cage as an actor that the film he won an Oscar for is far from the most enjoyable thing he's been in

in order for me

1 con air
2 lord of war
3 face off
4 the rock
5 leaving Las Vegas

Matchstick Men also has a wondeful Cage performance (as well as being a pretty good film). The scene at the pharmacy in particular is tremendous.

(156-162)

Seen a few at this year’s Grimmfest...

Brother’s Nest 8/10

Liked this a lot,  not by any stretch a horror. Two middle aged brothers conspire to lure their stepfather to the rural family home and murder him. Their mother is terminally ill and the stepfather stands to inherit the home, the land, the lot hence they plan to bump him off...reasonable premise I suppose...fleshed out over 90 mins or so, we learn that the brothers’ father committed suicide years before upon learning of their mother’s affair with the stepfather...various other aspects of the family history are revealed...tension is created between the brothers, kind of a Cain and Abel subtext, maybe? Anyway, this is a surprisingly good film; psychologically VERY dark with an unexpectedly poignant ending. Script wobbles slightly in places. Otherwise very impressive!

Piercing 1/10

(Understand that I had a big coffee before this started. Approx 1/2 way through I really needed a piss! Was trapped in my row!). The programme says this is an adaption from a “cult novel by Japanese literary provocateur Ryu Murakami”...it starts of with this creepyish fella at home with his missus and their new born nipper.  He’s obviously not right. Moody! He’s going away for work or something...except it turns out that that’s actually a pretext for him to get away to hire a prostitute and butcher her in his hotel room? Cut to hotel...prostitute turns up but she’s as mad as he is! She ends up self harming (stabbing herself repeatedly in the legs with some scissors) when he laughs at her a bit (starting to need a piss now)...creepy dude bottles out of bumping her off at this point and instead takes her to hospital...while she’s getting bandages up he calls his missus...PLOT TWIST...she’s actually in on the murder plot and gives him tips about how to get it back on track! She’s mad, too! Prostitute is discharged and they go to her apartment rather than the hotel. Because she’s bonkers she tries to drug him and pierces her own nipple with a big nail (really need a piss now)...he has a flashback/hallucination while drugged...there’s a prosthetic insect thing that crawls on him and he imagines stabbing another woman who is either his mother or else a woman he’s having an affair with who looks like his mother? Anyway. He wakes up, he has a fight with the prostitute lady...she thinks it’s a sexy game and let’s him tie her up! He’s just about to stab her and at this point she realises it’s NOT actually a sexy game...she manages to get FREE, gets the upper hand...ties him up (she’s bonkers too remember) is about to kill him but...END. Absolute wall to wall dross. Also, visually terrible...wants to look like a JG Ballard 70s dystopia (tower blocks, jaggedy carpet patterns) but obviously you need a few quid and a good eye to pull that off. Very poor.

Nightmare Cinema 6/10

Five very different characters wander into a disused cinema where they witness a nightmarish short film in which they’re the protagonists! Kind of Tales From The Crypt/Needful Things/Something Wicked This Way Comes? Enjoyed this though it’s objectively quite dog egg. First story is literally 20 min of mindless violence...American teens getting chopped up, burned to death, etc...all chased by a fella in a welding mask. Turns out the welder has to kill them, though, as they’ve all been impregnated by alien spiders! Second story: a girl with a scarred face (childhood accident)...her fiancé pays for plastic surgery as a wedding gift...but instructs the surgeon to do additional work!!!! Kind of funny! Sort of a Stephen King type short? Other stories involve a Catholic Priest and a sexy possessed nun, a woman who’s having some kind of breakdown, and a kid who survives a car jacking in which his parents are killed and can subsequently see the dead! Totally preposterous. Mickey Rourke plays “the projectionist”! One of the writers started doing a Q and A afterwards and all the nerds started getting up and walking out as he’s talking. Literally walking past him. 

The Witch In The Window 5.5/10

Trad. haunted house in Bm with an M Night Shyamalan twist. Dad and lad do up a remote house while a spooky lady threatens to get them. Not bad, actually...slow build up...above average characterisation for the genre...twist in the last third...overal, efficient but not memorable. My brother in laws favourite film of the day. SOLID enough for me. 

Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich 2/10

Nazi puppets in a hotel.

Away from Grimmfest...

GAEA Girls 8.5/10

Unflinching documentary (British, I think) about the rough training at the GAEA wrestling dojo in Japan. It’s a Japanese company, run by women, and exclusively featuring women’s wrestlers. Eye-opening and saddening at how utterly strict and maniacal the upper management are, but you sort of can’t deny that they do get results out of the few trainees that make it through. Would recommend to the non-wrestling fan as it’s more about the people stuck in a mad regime than needing to get or like the sport. (YouTube)

Blindspotting 9/10

What an absolutely brilliant film. Set in Oakland. Black guy (relevant - Daveed Diggs - Hamilton from Hamilton!) gets out of prison and has three days left on his probation in a half-way house. He has to keep a job, and he works with his best mate (Rafael Casal) who’s a white guy but totally black, tattoos, gold grid in his teeth,  and he’s a real bro, gift of the gab, trouble maker, they do removals. Diggs just wants to get through his last few days of probation. It’s a first time film for the writers (the main actors) and the director (some Hispanic guy) and it’s just brilliant. It deals with police brutality, gentrification of Oakland, the political issues regarding the use of the N-word (black guy calls white guy “nigga” all the time, white guy never says it but you don’t even notice until it’s pointed out). It’s funny all the way through, the leads are best mates irl growing up in Oakland, and they riff off each other, and they kinda freestyle at each other when they’re clearing houses, this is important cos it’s plays into the big climatic scene. There’s so much going on, it’s impossible to summarise without spoilers, it’s just a fucking great film and I implore you all to go watch it if you can. (cinema)

On 10/6/2018 at 14:08, ah-dee said:

in order for me

1 con air
2 lord of war
3 face off
4 the rock
5 leaving Las Vegas

The Rock is number one for me.

Michael Bay doing proper Bay explosions, Ed Harris being awesome, Cage at his best, and Sean Connery playing Sean Connery playing James Bond. What a combination.