What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(150-153)
The Town 8/10
Heist film with really good performances from Ben Affleck and Jeremy Renner (the shit Avenger) - basically this gang, in a suburb of Boston do banks and trucks and guns and bombs and f**k up when Rebecca Hall (who they kidnap in one of the jobs) notices one of them has a tattoo. Ben Affleck starts courting her and they become a couple but wait the FBI are on the case headed by superstar John Hamm! No one even notices it’s John Hamm the whole entire film! Anyway it’s very tense and they do job after job for Pete Poselthwaite until they come a cropper! It’s VERY exciting even if it goes a bit flat in the last act but damn you know what...Ben Affleck is a bloody good actor, he doesn’t get enough praise. Even shit Avenger was great although I suspect playing criminals is quite easy and all across live having a go. (Sky)
The Thing (2011) 6/10
Not sure where this fits into The Thing universe timeline but it’s back! An elite group of scientists are collected and sent to Antarctica fona secret mission. When they get there the main guy (who looks SHIFTY AS f**k) tells them they found a spaceship in the snow and it’s got a dead alien in it flippin ell!!! It’s at this point i need to mention one of the scientists is Mary Elizabeth Winstead who is also Mrs Ewan McGregor the WIFE STEALING COW! Ooh she is SO pretty could literally just stare at her all day. Anyway what do you know, the alien is NOT dead! It knows how to copy people apart from their fillings! So the way to test if you’ve been copied is to check your teeth. ANYWAY it ends up it’s copied fucking literally everyone APART from the fragrant Mary Elizabeth Winstead if it was me she’d be the first one I’d do. I love horrors set in really remote locations e.g. country mansions on islands. This was not very scary, I’d say it was suitable for a 5yo. (Amazon Prime)
Night School SHIT/10
(cinema)
Faces Places 6/10
Sort of travelogue about this old burd (Agnes Varda, French new wave film director) and young bloke who thinks he’s too cool to take his sunglasses and stupid hat off (which tbf Varda spends the whole film ripping into him about) driving around France doing art photography stuff, quite sweet but also a bit what is point. (stream)

i really liked the town. pretty sure Affleck wrote and directed it as well. Jeremy renner delivers a solid performance

Night School

Went to see this tonight last minute as I didn't realise 'A Star is Born' wasn't out until Wednesday. Entertaining enough with some pretty funny moments. Predictable plot with Kevin Hart again playing Kevin Hart. It still works tbf and got a few laughs from me. Another one of those comedies that I enjoyed but will never watch it again unless it happens to pop up on channel 5 in a few years time as I'm channel surfing.

13 hours ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

The Little Stranger

You can f**k off too.

1/10

I thought this was alright. Incredibly slow, but I quite liked the atmosphere of it and, by the end, felt like a lot more had happened than I realised at the time. 

Its ideas were competently conveyed, although I did get to a point, probably around half-way, where I thought, "I get it... now what?" but it never really expanded. 

I understand why some will find it disagreeable though. 

Any given sunday. Another one in my top 10. Outstanding film. Speech at the end was very inspirational.
fantastic film. al pacino is brilliant. you should try "the express" if you havent seen it sounds like you would enjoy it. also helps that its a true story

fantastic film. al pacino is brilliant. you should try "the express" if you havent seen it sounds like you would enjoy it. also helps that its a true story
I haven't seen it mate so I'll give it a go. He's fantastic in it, Jamie fox is also extremely good in it. The clash betwern the two chatacters makes the film.

19 hours ago, paranoid android said:

The scene I think you're probably referring to is indeed extremely troubling  - good film with some very good performances, but oh dear. 

The director was some piece of work. Susan George's old dad was hired as an extra and he'd say to her he thought he'd be dead before filming finished as he was so decrepit. 

I haven't seen it mate so I'll give it a go. He's fantastic in it, Jamie fox is also extremely good in it. The clash betwern the two chatacters makes the film.
yeah the contrast they bring to each roll makes it. even the inevitable coming together at the end is enjoyable

eta the express is on Netflix and quaid gives an exceptional performance in it

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

The director was some piece of work. Susan George's old dad was hired as an extra and he'd say to her he thought he'd be dead before filming finished as he was so decrepit. 

Pekinpah's films are largely enjoyable but pretty violent.

Apparently, the scene where Hoffman walks into the pub had already had quite a few takes but Pekinpah was unhappy with the reaction of the actors playing the locals..

Unannounced, Hoffman stripped naked from the waist down and then entered the pub resulting in the genuine shocked reaction from the other actors.

yeah the contrast they bring to each roll makes it. even the inevitable coming together at the end is enjoyable  

eta the express is on Netflix and quaid gives an exceptional performance in it
Nearly floods of tears. Poor lad could of been one of the greats. Ending was heartbreaking.

Hell House LLC II: The Abaddon Hotel

This is on Shudder ( a great service ) along with the pretty good first one of these. This one is a bit messy, but as a follow up to the first, it works surprisingly well, and it's also very effective. I'd have it slightly below the first one in quality, but that's only because of the messy and disjointed nature of it. It's a very good addition to the found footage genre which seems to be getting more decent entries these days.

7/10

On 10/1/2018 at 00:44, Christophe said:

Mandy 5/10

Alright so, I saw this advertised on the Saturday and got so excited I found a torrent and downloaded it to watch that night. Background: I read an interview with the director, Panos Cosmatos, and be mentioned Phase IV and The Andromeda Strain, two of my favourite films, so I naturally became interested in what he was doing. I watched Beyond The Black Rainbow which LOOKS amazing and has a great soundtrack but is ultimately underwhelming because of its lack of any real forward narrative or memorable performances. Mandy, on the other hand, boasts Nicolas Cage and some other actors who have been in some real films. As well as a discernible plot. Basically Cage’s girlfriend is kidnapped by some drug-addled Hell-demon bikers and given to a cult and he goes mental on them to a soundtrack by Johann Johannsson who took so much coke he died. The film is excessive in all ways. It switches between gore, slow dark pseudo religious spiels, and grindhouse chainsaw fights. But for every moment of visual/audio awe, there’s about 20 minutes of not really much, or just cheesy pastiche. It’s been really well received, but I think it’s probably a weird film for people who don’t like weird films. I’ve seen enough 40-70s sci-fi/horror B-movies, with extreme lighting effects and synth-soundtracks, and with B-movies, at least with them there’s more to buy into and they’re normally done in 70 mins. And then on the other side, Cosmatos is SO good at achieving (what I guess) he’s trying to achieve. Cage is brilliant. The animated dreams are beautiful. The moments Cosmatos steps back and looks at the world he has created, it is genuinely impressive. But ultimately it left me cold. I wanted more. Bit dull.

I thought the first hour was a bit of a chore ( this is a conservative way of putting it ) and was the main thing making me question full marks. But from the bathroom scene onwards, I was hooked. I loved the everloving shit out of everything from that point on. You mention the score, and that was as perfect as you could ask for, and yes, this movie just looks gorgeous.

Linus Roache's baddy is, let's face it, hokey as f**k, but the actual cult themselves definitely provide a formidable and interesting opponent, and I love the backstory that we get for them eventually. The chainsaw fight you mention had me laughing with joy. I can't remember the last time a movie got the response out of me that this movie got. I couldn't go lower as a result. Anything less would kind of downplay how much I love this movie. I'll be seeing it again when it's released because it's getting a reasonable cinema release here before getting it's on demand and DVD release a month later.