What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Equalizer 2

Good solid action fare with some absolutely outstanding scenes including two action ones that had me more into them than I'm into most scenes of those types. It's incredibly jumpy and disjointed which could be pretty jarring but for the most part, I enjoyed it.

7/10

The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961)

Tremendous low budget British  sci-fi  about how simultaneous nuclear tests by the USA and USSR cause the Earth's  tilt to change resulting in worldwide heatwaves.

Is there something the Government aren't telling us?

Leo McKern and a young Michael Caine (in a "blink and you'll miss him" role) are among the cast.

Should you wish to view it, here it is.

Nightcrawler

Worth a watch, Jack Galenhaal plays a creepy thief who starts filming crime scenes to make money but takes it too far.

Almost a cult classic type film but just lacking something to compare it with the likes of drive etc.

8/10

On 06/08/2018 at 22:51, Christophe said:

(121)

French Connection 10/10

Watched this again. Best car chase, best Hackman, best cinematography, best score nominee. (Sky)

Definitely in my top ten. The sequel is decent also. It’s appreciated but never talked about when people mention favourite films. 

Will try and watch it again if I can find the listing.

Bladerunner 2049(sky)

Had big expectations for it but I think it was aimed very much at sci fi fans as opposed to a more general audience,quite slow paced ,visually stunning and an excellent score but as much as I enjoyed it ,wouldn't rave about it.6/10

19 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Definitely in my top ten. The sequel is decent also. It’s appreciated but never talked about when people mention favourite films. 

Will try and watch it again if I can find the listing.

Sky have it in their Sky Movies On Demand section 

Ant-Man and The Wasp - Marvel on auto-pilot, but a lot of fun regardless. Surprised that nobody's mentioned that 60-year-old Michelle Pfeiffer is still a stone-cold wid; admittedly the steaming sexuality of Michael Douglas might have obscured her a little, but trust me, I'm not wrong. Watch it again.

Mississippi Burning - hadn't seen this in an age, but Alan Parker's searing segregation drama is still gripping, horrifying, and occasionally deeply satisfying, with a tremendous cast on top form. Unfair to single anyone out, but I'd somehow never noticed R. Lee Ermey before, in an important role a million miles from the drill sergeant types he became famous for, and he absolutely nails it.

Bought some Blu-Rays today too; at some point, expect to see me witter about Zombie Creeping Flesh, Creepozoids, Amazon Women on the Moon, Cat in the Brain, SS Experiment Camp, Horrible Bosses, Terminator: Salvation, Cloverfield, Godzilla (2014), and Resident Evil 1-4. But I need sleep first, so goodnight.

18 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

All these reviews of Ant Man and the Wasp, and everybody tiptoeing around the fact that Michelle Pfeiffer is stil. A 100% wid 26 years after being Catwoman.

Good film too.

14 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Ant-Man and The Wasp - Marvel on auto-pilot, but a lot of fun regardless. Surprised that nobody's mentioned that 60-year-old Michelle Pfeiffer is still a stone-cold wid; admittedly the steaming sexuality of Michael Douglas might have obscured her a little, but trust me, I'm not wrong. Watch it again.

:blink:

Christopher Robin -- Had high hopes for this being something to tide us over until Paddington 3 comes out but it was pretty disappointing. It's really weird from a kid's movie point of view with the focus of the story on the dad (Ewan McGregor) rather than his wee lassie and there are large sections of the movie with no Pooh whatsoever and there's this whole sub-story of Christopher's mental health that goes absolutely nowhere. Couple of amusing cameos and the voice talent is great. Toby Jones, Peter Capaldi and Brad Garrett who played Ray's brother in Everybody Loves Raymond was perfect as Eeyore. 5/10

4 hours ago, Tommy Nooka said:

:blink:

I can see your confusion. I didn't call her a stone cold wid, because she's not dead, and I'm not into that sort of thing anyway, so we are making slightly different points.

BigFatNecrophiliacDave also doesn't read my posts, because I like to insult him with clever plays on his BigFatStupidName.

Goodnight Mommy 

Austrian psychological horror film. Available on Amazon Prime. The ‘twist’ is fairly obvious. I spotted it about 10 minutes in, but it didn’t remotely spoil my enjoyment of this stylish, though admittedly glacially-paced movie. It looks immaculate - great cinematography and a nicely-sustained mood of escalating dread. Quite a melancholy film, and probably not for everyone, but I’ll be interested to see what directors Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala do next.

8/10

Edited by Frankie S

Mission Impossible Fallout

Total nonsense of the absolute best kind. Shit blowing up, ridiculous stunts, Rebecca Ferguson. What more could you want from a film?

Absolutely loved Henry Cavill’s no nonsense character too. He’d be a brilliant Bond, although it’s probably unlikely with him already being committed to being Superman.