What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Funnily enough I stumbled on Highlander on Sky yesterday and just had to watch it.
As others have said, woeful accents, dodgy acting, dated special effects but an absolute classic.
Also provides the best intro to a song ever:
.....water from a sprinkler. It also left a man’s decapitated body lying on the floor next to his own severed head. A head, which at this time, has no name.

I know his name......

Christophe Lambert didn't even speak English. They had to feed him the lines phonetically. Loved that film as a kid. There can only be one! 

They should remake the film with yon Outlander bloke in the lead and with updated special effects. Great movie which could be done a wee bit better.

Highlanders brilliant. Connery playing an Egyptian called Ramirez, in a broad Scottish accent, is a standard of film making that'll never be matched again. 

Shame about the sequels.. 

Highlanders brilliant. Connery playing an Egyptian called Ramirez, in a broad Scottish accent, is a standard of film making that'll never be matched again. 
ive never subjected myself to the sequels. are they that bad or just in comparison to the first?

They should remake the film with yon Outlander bloke in the lead and with updated special effects. Great movie which could be done a wee bit better.
absolutely not! its a classic that should be left the way it is, warts and all!

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Never mention, or indeed even refer to their existence, again

2 hours ago, ah-dee said:
2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

ive never subjected myself to the sequels. are they that bad or just in comparison to the first?

2 is one of the worst films of all time. It completely ruins the mythology by claiming that immortals are actually exiled aliens. There's some shit about the ozone layer and a big shield as well, and Sean Connery is paid an obscene sum of money for very little work, both literally and figuratively. It's insanely shit and an actual insult to film making. To life even.

3 ignores that 2 ever happened and is pretty much the same story as the original, except it's fucking shit. 

Endgame is ok but again retcons the story and mythology because it melds the lame TV show with the films. It's watchable, but only just. The main bad guy is hilariously theatrical and camp. Edge also has a cameo.

There's yet another after that is astonishingly awful in all aspects. It's worse than 3 but not quite as bad as 2.

There's also an anime film that is actually fairly decent.

Also big shout out to Clancy Brown who puts in a great performance as the Kurgan. He voices Mr Krabs in Spongebob.

Edited by DA Baracus

2 is one of the worst films of all time. It completely ruins the mythology by claiming that immortals are actually exiled aliens. There's some shit about the ozone layer and a big shield as well, and Sean Connery is paid an obscene sum of money for very little work, both literally and figuratively. It's insanely shit and an actual insult to film making. To life even.
3 ignores that 2 ever happened and is pretty much the same story as the original, except it's fucking shit. 
Endgame is ok but again retcons the story and mythology because it melds the lame TV show with the films. It's watchable, but only just. The main bad guy is hilariously theatrical and camp. Edge also has a cameo.
There's yet another after that is astonishingly awful in all aspects. It's worse than 3 but not quite as bad as 2.
There's also an anime film that is actually fairly decent.
Also big shout out to Clancy Brown who puts in a great performance as the Kurgan. He voices Mr Krabs in Spongebob.
thanks for the heads up but to be honest it has intrigued me more than discourage. the missus is away for the weekend so will likely give them a go so i can see what ive been missing out on!

Deadpool 2 (Cinema)

Really enjoyed this, doesn't have the swagger or shock value of the first film but it's genuinely funny and gives Ryan Reynolds another chance to play the part he was born to play.

The post credits scene is worth the ticket price alone.

7/10

Deadpool 2 (Cinema)

Really enjoyed this, doesn't have the swagger or shock value of the first film but it's genuinely funny and gives Ryan Reynolds another chance to play the part he was born to play.

The post credits scene is worth the ticket price alone.

7/10

Watched the first one again last night in anticipation of today’s trip to the odeon. As you say Reynolds was born to play this character.

Hurricane Heist (SKY)

Sky made disaster Bmovie type of thing .Finchy in one of the lead roles. Not bad 6/10

Once upon a time in Venice beach (Netflix) 

Bloody awful,worst Bruce Willis film I've ever seen,1/10

whisky,tango foxtrot (Netflix)

Tina Fey is really good as the fish out of water reporter in Afghanistan,some of it doesn't quite come together but pretty good. 7/10

The hitmans bodyguard (Netflix)

Reynolds and Sam Jackson are good together, Salma hayek is a bit underused and but entertaining overall 7/10

Get Out(SKY)

Clever sort of film,can see why it was Oscar nominated. 8/10

The birdcage (Netflix)

Hadn't seen it in years but brilliant turn by everyone involved.9/10

(75-84)

On Body and Soul 8/10

Good film! Man and woman from the abattoir find out they’re having the same dreams, contains graphic scenes of animal slaughter. (MUBI)

Tully 7/10

Charlize Theron is a 40-year old with two kids and another on the way. The first one is full on autistic. Her douchebag brother is super rich and offers to pay for a “night nanny” for a month. Theron initially resists but then eventually calls this night nanny. They get on amazingly even though she seems a bit creepy to start with. I honestly thought this was a really good film although there were flaws. Theron was brilliant as a tired mother, Daisy McKenzie was hot as the nanny, and the twist, while slightly signposted, was still effective. Ron Livingstone was solid as the husband, not seen him in anything since Office Space. Flawed but well worth watching. (cinema)

I Feel Pretty 5/10

I don’t hate Amy Schumer as much as most and I didn’t hate this at all. The idea is she had a head trauma that makes her think she’s as beautiful and skinny as she always wanted to be, she meets a guy who sees her for who she is and she makes a great life for herself as an ideas person for a beauty products company who is trying to branch out into supermarkets. Just about passes the six laughs test. Schumer does some great physical comedy. (cinema)

Funny Cow 8/10

Maxine Peake plays a comedian whose later act (a kind of Victoria Wood does Beckett) is forged in the fire of the 70s workingmen’s club circuit and at the hands of various shitty men (and maybe herself?). Good this! It looks like a superior BBC television thing rather than a “film”, but then I think that might be the right way to go. You could pick little holes on it, like how does her act go from telling racist jokes to becoming a kind of Alan Bennett-monologuer, and there’s a scene in the final third that just didn’t work for me (see spoiler), but ultimately it’s very good from the broad brushes (passes the sniff test with accents/dialect, period sections all look and feel correct, and the acting and script is good and not cheesy) and the little details. They also made the right choice in just using composite material from actual racist/dodgy comedian’s sets rather than writing a bunch of new racist jokes. 

she has a mentor figure who kills herself in a toilet while she is having her first really good gig

I dunno, I liked it! Was a breeze to watch and there are brief and entertaining cameos from a lot of people, only one of which is actually annoying. (cinema)

Bad Neighbours 2 3/10

I like Seth Rogen, I like Rose Byrne, I like Zac Efron, I like Chloe Grace Moritz. I don’t like watching films that waste my fucking time. (Netflix)

Revenge 6.5/10

Highly unoriginal but entertaining revenge flick for the #metoo era. It’s no Dead Man’s Shoes but quite enjoyable fluff. (cinema)

Lean On Pete 7/10

Itinerant kid gets a job working with racehorses but becomes too attached to one old nag because...issues. Good film actually, love when West Coast films are a bit scruffy and desolate. (cinema)

Nuts In May 9/10

Mike Leigh classic about social class as told as a story about a camping holiday, gets funnier everytime I see it, deserves as equal reputation as Spinal Tap or one of them lads. (torrent)

Life of the Party 2/10

Weekly go and see a film with my lovely old mum on a Monday even if there’s nowt worth watching night. I kinda like Melissa McWhatsit (always get confused between McCarthy and McCartney) and she’s been good in a few films, solid screen presence and good physical comedy. The performances in this were generally ok and there were a few decent laughs (probably not the six that Kermode demands) but the script here was just totally lacking and many of the bits that were supposed to be funny we’re just painfully cringeworthy, it’s like this would never ever happen in real life, like not even almost, and often in frat/sor house comedies you can kind of forgive that beacuse the ridiculousness of it is just infectious but not in this case, it was just flat. I went in there with very very low expectations and they weren’t even met, although the audience seemed to think it was fucking hilarious so I guess it will do ok. There was one character, McWhatsits roomie (a taciturn goth with no social skills), who could have been the focus of the story and it would have probably been much better but she was ultimately just used as the deus ex machina for the films stupid and utterly underwhelming redeeming segment (she’s Christina Aguilera’s cousin from out of of nowhere and people are calling her X-Tina, is that a thing? And somehow queuing up to see her do a house show surely this is ten years out of date) anyway DO NOT GO AND SEE THIS FILM unless you have a free pass and you want to see your mum and talk about what’s happening with your nephews 16th birthday this weekend. (cinema)

Deadpool 2 9/10

God damn I laughed all the way through, bit more brutal than the first one I thought, but still absolutely hilarious but still with a solid, heartfelt romance on the fringes. Lot of superhero film reference jokes, which the more grown up and aloof of us will scoff at or not get but I bloody loved it, it needs no advertisement, if you liked the first one this will be no different. Interestingly there was no real villain here, the only real villain was the world itself, ahhhhh! Eddie Marsan (whom I fucking love) as a paedo child/mutant abuser who’s not real threat to anyone other than the child mutants in his care prior to the film. Just loads of laughs and enjoyable fluff. (cinema)

(75-84)
On Body and Soul 8/10
Good film! Man and woman from the abattoir find out they’re having the same dreams, contains graphic scenes of animal slaughter. (MUBI)
Tully 7/10
Charlize Theron is a 40-year old with two kids and another on the way. The first one is full on autistic. Her douchebag brother is super rich and offers to pay for a “night nanny” for a month. Theron initially resists but then eventually calls this night nanny. They get on amazingly even though she seems a bit creepy to start with. I honestly thought this was a really good film although there were flaws. Theron was brilliant as a tired mother, Daisy McKenzie was hot as the nanny, and the twist, while slightly signposted, was still effective. Ron Livingstone was solid as the husband, not seen him in anything since Office Space. Flawed but well worth watching. (cinema)
I Feel Pretty 5/10
I don’t hate Amy Schumer as much as most and I didn’t hate this at all. The idea is she had a head trauma that makes her think she’s as beautiful and skinny as she always wanted to be, she meets a guy who sees her for who she is and she makes a great life for herself as an ideas person for a beauty products company who is trying to branch out into supermarkets. Just about passes the six laughs test. Schumer does some great physical comedy. (cinema)
Funny Cow 8/10
Maxine Peake plays a comedian whose later act (a kind of Victoria Wood does Beckett) is forged in the fire of the 70s workingmen’s club circuit and at the hands of various shitty men (and maybe herself?). Good this! It looks like a superior BBC television thing rather than a “film”, but then I think that might be the right way to go. You could pick little holes on it, like how does her act go from telling racist jokes to becoming a kind of Alan Bennett-monologuer, and there’s a scene in the final third that just didn’t work for me (see spoiler), but ultimately it’s very good from the broad brushes (passes the sniff test with accents/dialect, period sections all look and feel correct, and the acting and script is good and not cheesy) and the little details. They also made the right choice in just using composite material from actual racist/dodgy comedian’s sets rather than writing a bunch of new racist jokes. 

she has a mentor figure who kills herself in a toilet while she is having her first really good gig

I dunno, I liked it! Was a breeze to watch and there are brief and entertaining cameos from a lot of people, only one of which is actually annoying. (cinema)
Bad Neighbours 2 3/10
I like Seth Rogen, I like Rose Byrne, I like Zac Efron, I like Chloe Grace Moritz. I don’t like watching films that waste my fucking time. (Netflix)
Revenge 6.5/10
Highly unoriginal but entertaining revenge flick for the #metoo era. It’s no Dead Man’s Shoes but quite enjoyable fluff. (cinema)
Lean On Pete 7/10
Itinerant kid gets a job working with racehorses but becomes too attached to one old nag because...issues. Good film actually, love when West Coast films are a bit scruffy and desolate. (cinema)
Nuts In May 9/10
Mike Leigh classic about social class as told as a story about a camping holiday, gets funnier everytime I see it, deserves as equal reputation as Spinal Tap or one of them lads. (torrent)
Life of the Party 2/10
Weekly go and see a film with my lovely old mum on a Monday even if there’s nowt worth watching night. I kinda like Melissa McWhatsit (always get confused between McCarthy and McCartney) and she’s been good in a few films, solid screen presence and good physical comedy. The performances in this were generally ok and there were a few decent laughs (probably not the six that Kermode demands) but the script here was just totally lacking and many of the bits that were supposed to be funny we’re just painfully cringeworthy, it’s like this would never ever happen in real life, like not even almost, and often in frat/sor house comedies you can kind of forgive that beacuse the ridiculousness of it is just infectious but not in this case, it was just flat. I went in there with very very low expectations and they weren’t even met, although the audience seemed to think it was fucking hilarious so I guess it will do ok. There was one character, McWhatsits roomie (a taciturn goth with no social skills), who could have been the focus of the story and it would have probably been much better but she was ultimately just used as the deus ex machina for the films stupid and utterly underwhelming redeeming segment (she’s Christina Aguilera’s cousin from out of of nowhere and people are calling her X-Tina, is that a thing? And somehow queuing up to see her do a house show surely this is ten years out of date) anyway DO NOT GO AND SEE THIS FILM unless you have a free pass and you want to see your mum and talk about what’s happening with your nephews 16th birthday this weekend. (cinema)
Deadpool 2 9/10
God damn I laughed all the way through, bit more brutal than the first one I thought, but still absolutely hilarious but still with a solid, heartfelt romance on the fringes. Lot of superhero film reference jokes, which the more grown up and aloof of us will scoff at or not get but I bloody loved it, it needs no advertisement, if you liked the first one this will be no different. Interestingly there was no real villain here, the only real villain was the world itself, ahhhhh! Eddie Marsan (whom I fucking love) as a paedo child/mutant abuser who’s not real threat to anyone other than the child mutants in his care prior to the film. Just loads of laughs and enjoyable fluff. (cinema)

your review of bad neighbours 2 is fantastic!

Watched the first one again last night in anticipation of today’s trip to the odeon. As you say Reynolds was born to play this character.

Saw the first one yesterday. Thought it was as American-cliched (if that's not a thing, I'm claiming it is) as you can get.

Fairly shite but then I'm an old guy so it's probably not aimed at me. 3/10